Isabella ate brownies - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 PM
lynn0624rj's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Morgan City, LA
Posts: 207
Images: 3
Thanks: 104
Thanked 115 Times in 67 Posts
Isabella ate brownies

I cooked Betty crocker hot chocolate brownie mix and Isabelle ate about 3/4 of it I tried to get her to vomit and she wouldn't. Should I be worried?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 86
Thanks: 65
Thanked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Brownie mix itself doesn’t have a very high chocolate content. Did you add chocolate chips.

They weren't special brownies?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Vhuynh2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,915
Thanks: 1,867
Thanked 3,422 Times in 2,111 Posts
I'd be more worried about the fat and sugar making her sick (pancreatitis?).


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 PM
TheZ's's Avatar
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,345
Thanks: 2,031
Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,404 Posts
I'm not that knowledgeable but do know that chocolate in certain quantities can be toxic for dogs. If it were me, I'd call the emergency vet, describe exactly what and how much the dog ate and see what they say. The other thing to do is call the veterinary poison hotline. You should be able to get the phone number through Google.
__________________

Gracie, Sunfire's Amazing Grace, 9/12/2013
Zoe, Rockwall Nantucket Breeze, BN, CGC, Delta therapy dog, 5/4/2008 - 10/28/2013
Zeke, our introduction to the world of Golden Retrievers, 6/12/1997 - 12/18/2007
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: canada
Posts: 1,214
Thanks: 780
Thanked 807 Times in 519 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide will make a dog throw up. You would have to look up the dosage, I have seen it posted on a thread on here at one point. I wouldn't worry too much about the brownie mix, as there is not a lot of real chocolate in the mix. Homemade brownie mix would concern me more. How much does your dog weigh? My old golden once all the little foil eggs from an Easter egg hunt while we were at church. I didn't know about it until I found foil wraps in her poop the next day. The better the quality chocolate, the more you have to worry, and dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 AM
ZeppGold's Avatar
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 671
Thanks: 377
Thanked 327 Times in 216 Posts
Our Counter Surfer Toro did the exact same thing a few years ago during a snow storm. I did call poison center and emergency vet. They were not too concerned about it. They said milk chocolate in a brownie mix was not that bad. They just told me to watch him. He did not even get sick.

Yesterday, he knocked a nut roll off of the counter that I was making for Christmas. I guess he was trying to help me with my diet..
__________________


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeppGold For This Useful Post:
lynn0624rj (12-31-2012)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Gwen_Dandridge's Avatar
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 1,810
Images: 2
Thanks: 6,922
Thanked 1,843 Times in 907 Posts
Our first golden (Amber) ate lots and lots of chocolate wedding cake when she was four months old. Didn't seem to notice.

She just cleaned every plate that was on the floor at our house and there were bunches.

I wouldn't worry. It seem little dogs are more sensitive to chocolate poisoning then goldens.
__________________
Gwen
belongs to Amber (LiquidAmber II) June 1995-August 2010
Maddie (Essex Mountain Madrone) CGC Born April 17th, 2012

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-25-2012, 12:49 AM
quilter's Avatar
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 909
Thanks: 7
Thanked 496 Times in 345 Posts
We were talking about dogs and chocolate today. Years ago, my two sons, about 6 and 8, came and told me that the dog looked healthy. Uh, ok. They then told me that the dog had gotten one of their chocolate chip cookies the day before and they'd been waiting a day for the dog to die or not! They were clearly worried, but weird way to work in out.

I once did the calculation on chocolate. It would take about 2 pounds of chocolate to make my dog sick. (Don't hold me to that. I have no idea where I got the data.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Wyatt's mommy's Avatar
Wyatt Earp
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chino California
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 1,389
Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,141 Posts
I would not worry about it .
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 582
Thanks: 214
Thanked 319 Times in 135 Posts
It's good to be careful, but I wouldn't worry too much. Not a golden (a weimaraner of pretty similar size), my childhood dog, ate an entire fudge frosted chocolate layer cake and a pound of butter one holiday. She had a pretty loose stool for several days, but I think it was more the butter than the chocolate.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
© Golden Retriever Forum .com
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69