Difficulty breathing - PLEASE help diagnose (vet is having trouble)!
Addie is 8 months old and has been doing this for a couple of months. At first I thought it was reverse sneezing. She does it once or twice a night (almost always at night). It lasts from 20 seconds to a few minutes, and then she goes back to sleep.
The vet is unclear as to what it is even though I've showed videos. Her nose is clear. Heartworm test is negative, she's had a round of antibiotics in case it is kennel cough, and her lungs and heart look clear on xray. Vet said she has a murmur on the right side of her heart that is about a .5 out of 6, but one that minimal could be attributed to the stress of the visit.
Next thought is allergy testing. (She's on a grain-free diet just in case although I know it could be any allergen). Any other ideas as to what to test for? I hate seeing this!! She's so young.
Please see the videos on youtube (I hope I did this right...)
IMG 1637 - YouTube
IMG 1774 - YouTube
(Yes... she's a very light/cream golden, lol. I get asked if she's a lab...)
I would take her to an emergency animal hospital. They usually have SPECIALISTS On call. How long has she had this?
Has her thyroid been checked?
Could she have swallowed something?
Have they checked her teeth and gums?
I'm not a vet, but I think perhaps an emergency animal hospital might know.
Tonka & Tucker
SNOBEAR at the Bridge
Dec. 23, 1999-March 27, 2010
SMOOCH at the Bridge.
Feb. 14, 1999-Dec. 7, 2010
|The Following User Says Thank You to Karen519 For This Useful Post:|
My Faelan had something very much like this - it ended up being a seed pod thingy that he had inhaled and had worked its way down almost to his lungs - they rhino-scoped (I think that's what its called) and he was on antibiotics - I would second the suggestion that an eVet be contacted, since they generally have more experience with non-routine happenings.
Golden moments shared with
Casey, Faelan, Towhee & Brady too !
and forever in my heart, my golden Bridge boys
Rowdy & King
She is very beautiful!
All my dogs do this once in a while for a few seconds. Living here in Tennessee, I am thinking most likely allergies in my crew.
Allergy testing would also be high on my list, if your girl does it more often than just once in a while.
If that does not pan out, I would get a referal to a specialist. If nothing else, it would give you a piece of mind.
My boys from left to right:
Thunder Dachsi Toby
My Toby, my heart dog 3/12/2003 - 3/30/2013, I miss you Toby!
|The Following User Says Thank You to cgriffin For This Useful Post:|
I wonder if it might be a tummy or swallowing issue and not a breathing issue, think acid reflux.
Carolyn (A.K.A. Aunt Care) and
Creekwood Tanglefoot Selchie CD, RN, AX, AXJ, CGC, CCA, (A.K.A. Selli-Belle) Golden
Valentine Byrd McDuff (A.K.A. Duffy) Golden/Sheltie
Tanglefoot Autumn Dexter CGC (My Heart Dog at the Bridge) Golden
|The Following User Says Thank You to Selli-Belle For This Useful Post:|
Poor girl! I have no advice....but I hope you can figure it out!
|The Following User Says Thank You to bljohnson4 For This Useful Post:|
This sounds so scary! How is the color in her tongue and gums? What prompts the question is concern that there might be internal bleeding somewhere that causes her to lose a lot of red blood cells. I'm not a vet, mind you, but have been through something like this with a very senior dog whose spleen had ruptured. I have no idea if something similar could affect a young pup.
Hugs and prayers for you and your Golden girl,
Lucy, owned by Joker and Sunny, who remember Charlie with me
|The Following User Says Thank You to GoldensGirl For This Useful Post:|
Thank you for all of your suggestions.
Her teeth and gums were checked by the vet and appeared normal. She has not had the tyroid checked yet. This has been ongoing for a couple of months (sad, I know!) so if she swallowed something it would've passed by now (unless something got stuck??). (She did eat most of my son's shoe and shoelace a few months ago!)
Sunrise - the seed pod thing really caught my attention. I'm going to look further into that for sure! She gets into EVERYTHING. We go on walks out in (mostly dirt) fields and sometimes she runs through some areas with thistles, etc. I'm super careful to check her fur/ears afterwards, but it's possible something was inhaled. Would it still be there 2 months later??!
I'm planning on allergy testing just to rule that out and for peace of mind.
I really am very puzzled as to why it happens at night when she's laying down (but not necessarily sleeping).
Please let me know if you have other ideas, as I'm planning on putting it into action tomorrow. Thanks again!
Happy 1st Birthday Addie!
It's incredibly scary isn't it! My girl did this a few hours every time she chewed on a bone so an allergy is a distinct possibility. I hope that you find the trigger for your girl. We found that letting her run around out the front of the house would fix it. We don't give her bones anymore and have not seen it since.