I bought a 4-pack of old-fashioned wooden mouse traps and baited them with peanut butter. Well, 3 of them. One was an obvious dud that I couldn't even get to snap my fingers, so I threw it away.
I placed a couple under the couch and one under the bed, so that my dog wouldn't trigger them in a mad peanut butter frenzy. That hasn't stopped him from trying, but he can't reach- for now anyway. Since he always fails in his attempts to get toys out from under things and runs over to get me to retrieve them for him (I was always given to understand that dogs retrieved things for humans and not the other way around, but that's not how my dog sees things
), he should be safe. If not, they aren't poisoned or anything, at least.
Frankly, I have my doubts about this working. These things just don't trigger very easily at all. Also, I can't cover much ground because of concerns about the dog (Who I now hear sighing in the other room trying and failing to retrieve the peanut butter ladden trap under the bed). If these were dog traps, I think I'd be in luck.
Most likely scenario: Mouse still on the lamb, apartment gets attracts hordes of ants (or worse yet, more mice) from the peanut butter. This neighborhood has *a ton* of ants. At first, I just thought my periodic ant issues were the result of my questionable bachelor housekeeping, but, having spoken with neighbors and such, apparently *everyone* here has ant problems. Right this second, I'm not having any, but laying peanut butter on the ground probably is going to change that.
Any idea how long I should keep give things to work before I can deem them failures and remove them to thwart a likely ant invasion? This is my first mouse related issue. I literally had to look up a youtube video to see how to set these traps. I probably should have bought ant traps to lay next to them.
Oddly, it's a fairly small apartment and I haven't seen this guy since last night. I did locate the hole I think he was coming from and sealed it with cardboard and masking tape (All I had on-hand). I think he could get through it, but I'd notice the tampering, and I don't see it. He's on my side of the seal for sure because the second sighting was after I put it up, unless he has another entrance or exit point.
Anyone have any mouse catching tips?