My list of questions for my trainer
Here's my list of questions for Amy, so far. I'm sure more will crop up when I meet with her, so I'll try to remember everything I learn, practice it, write it down, and keep you all up-to-date.
By all means, you're welcome to add to this list, too! But, remember Amy's training is specifically tailored to me and Renny, so something that works for Renny may not work for you.
1) What to do when we're walking around the block on the sidewalk, with Renny on my right, if we see someone walking towards us or on the other side of the street walking their dog or dogs. That is, do we just keep walking and ignore, do a sit/stay? What if it's a dog we've met before and they like each other. What's the best way to approach a known dog and its owner? How to approach a seemingly-friendly unknown dog and its owner?
2) What to do when he gets excited at seeing anything on our walk, in the backyard, anywhere? When he's on- or off-leash. This goes for bunny rabbits, squirrels, cats, etc.
3) How exactly should the recall be "handled"? I want to be able to effectively do this when he's offleash in my backyard and at the dogpark.
4) How can I actually play with him offleash and me not get hurt? I enjoy watching him when he does zoomies, but do NOT enjoy it when he comes barreling towards me and practically knocks me over when he rebounds off my leg!
5) Can Renny truly stay at home while I'm at work all day. It's for 9 hours. In the recent past, I've noticed that even with my dogwalker walking him at noon, he had started chewing on a couple of things he shouldn't. I take him to doggie daycare twice a week and he does great there. I still walk him every morning and late afternoon for 1-2 miles each walk.
6) Speaking of doggie daycare, dogwalkers, boarding him elsewhere, do all these people need to know anything specific as far as this new training is concerned?
7) How do I handle out-of-control barking?
8) Do you recommend any books, e.g., Control Unleashed techniques?
9) Can I stop using the prong collar? My biggest concern is his pulling out of the snap collar if he's excited. This all may be moot due to your training.
10) From what you've observed about Renny, would he be a good candidate for agility training? I keep thinking he may be getting bored! I'm hoping your (Amy's) training and daily practice will be enough to keep him "occupied". I wanted to add that I'm pretty sure Renny has Australian Shepherd in him which accounts for his amber-colored eyes, but more importantly his strength and endurance, plus he runs really fast!
11) What to do when an unleashed dog comes out of nowhere and attacks you or your dog. This actually happened 2 weeks ago when I was walking Renny. The dog didn't exactly come out of nowhere, but pulled the leash out of its owner's hand, raced across the street, and attacked Renny. Long story short, Renny and I were pretty shaken up, but no major damage.
Wendy Maxi, my beautiful girl. Gotcha day 6/5/2014. Birthdate 9/16/2008. Her "new Daddy day" 2/7/2016.
Last edited by Wendy427; 01-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Reason: Added a to-do