Love walks on four paws
Join Date: Aug 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,855 Posts
One week in
And here's what I've learned
1. Puppies really are a lot of work
2. Even though she goes to the door, if I am not fast enough she will go in the house
3. Puppy biting and play can and does look like aggression at time, but it's really not
4. Puppy breath is absolutely the best smell in the world
5. If you want a cuddly, sweet puppy, you need to exercise her some, whether short walks, or by play...but play also brings on the bitey puppy
6. Puppy zoomies are the absolute best, unless they are brought on by overstimulation, in which case they loose their mind for a few minutes...either way stand back and just watch
7. Just like raising kids, this is the hardest yet best thing I have done in my life
8. Everyone wants to meet your puppy when you are out, you are only a means to their end.
9. Puppies are way smarter than we give them credit for
10. If the puppy chews something innapropriate it is totally MY fault. Even though we haven't had that issue yet, it happens if you blink your eye...so no blinking!
11. Puppies grow so fast, I think that nap she's taking is really like plugging a battery into recharge..she will be bigger and wiser upon waking.
12. When she clamps onto my pants, she's not a land shark, but a crocodile!!!!
There's a lot more but I think you get the idea
I'm so proud of my girl and honestly myself. After one week, she goes to the door to potty...and no I don't consider her potty trained. She knows sit and does know off, but she chooses when to listen with off. I've seen her go from a puppy that only sought out play time to one who seeks me out now, and not just to bite on...and is now willing to learn. She didn't have the patience to learn anything even for a treat the first few days. Now I can tell her to sit, and she does, comes when I call her name. Has learned that the cat must be respected, yet she does at times test this, but the cat quickly puts her in her place. She does not greet us yet when we come into the room, but at least now looks up to see who is here.
My absolute favorite thing about her at the moment is, when she sleeps, and especially on her back, she dreams and will wag her tail and make little noises. It is so cute.
So to all those getting a puppy, or who just got a puppy...find the joy in the small moments, the small accomplishments and just in your puppies uniqueness in general. I think the first week is getting to know them and you!