Bentley's Boot Camp - Page 6 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Pez
Member
 
Pez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Good move! A lot of golden Mom's 'Dad's would benefit from this post. Everyone is happy with a little structure and defined boundaries. I have to work on my wife from treating Brinkley from the table; any room available in the boot camp? Good luck!
Pez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
AKA: Joyce
 
Bentleysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SE MI
Posts: 7,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 9,454
Thanked 14,432 Times in 4,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Good move! A lot of golden Mom's 'Dad's would benefit from this post. Everyone is happy with a little structure and defined boundaries. I have to work on my wife from treating Brinkley from the table; any room available in the boot camp? Good luck!
For Brinkley or your wife?


Everyone!!!!
Bentleysmom is offline  
post #53 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Tayla's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,641
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentleysmom View Post
Day 3

I think it's going to be ok Bentley is different then all the adult dogs I've had, maybe because he's a puppy, maybe he's strong willed but after he learns something is not allowed he will continue to see if he can get away with doing it over & over.
I want him to learn but I want him to remain my Broadway Bentley too ♥
I say that daily about Tayla. She is different from either of my other two. I've never had to watch everything this long. She grabs everything. She drinks out of the toilet, she has actually tried to climb bookshelves and a microwave rack in the kitchen to get to something on top. My problem is that she is probably the smartest dog I've ever had and she tries to figure out things that are better left unfigured. Right now I'm working on her grabbing things. I've been trading her for them and she has gotten much better at giving them up, but now I see that she may be grabbing them for the reward later. So I'm mixing it up. Sometimes she gets a treat for giving it back and sometimes she gets the sound of the air can sprayed behind my back. You just never know. I'm trying to be better at catching her before she grabs things. It's like having a toddler in the house.

Barb, Rick, "Tayla" Ruff Start Hot On The Trail (STAR Puppy) (Born 11/11, Gotcha 3/12) and "Lily" Stargazer's Make It So, CGC (Gotcha 12/21/13)


http://pdgf.pitapata.com/ABfhm4.png

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/cZiWm5.png

Cheyenne (CGC) and Jesse (CGC) who will be always loved and never forgotten.
Tayla's Mom is offline  
post #54 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Chesters Mama Erika
 
xoerika620xo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,938
Thanked 1,187 Times in 744 Posts
woo ... i just read this entire thread. I've been so busy with finals i can finally come to the forum and catch up. Sounds like Bentley is in trouble uh ooh I better tell chester his friend is acting up so he doesn't follow his paws.

I think its good what your doing with Bentley. i too hate to see people give excuses as to why their dog acts a certain way. Chester and I have been working on jumping on people, i find that to be extremely rude. He once jumped ontop of a lady who was just saying hi to me. So our training for these past few days is having him sit next to me while someone speaks to me. I want him to learn just because someone talks to me doesn't mean they want a 45lb golden jumping on them.

Don't be so hard on yourself either. They are puppies and give us that soft cuddly face and they get away with it. It happens to all of us. But the difference is that you are able to admit it and correct it. Many people just give up and let the dog do whatever they want. As for health issues, I am on the same boat as you I got chester from a lady in pa i was so stubborn I wanted a puppy NOW i couldn't wait. I didn't care what health clearances was but from joining this forum and learning about them. I know once i get my second dog (im not sure if I will do the puppy stage again, but who knows) I will be getting him/her from a reputable breeder with clearances and all. I hope the training goes well and Chester and I will keep checking up on it to see how you guys are doing.
xoerika620xo is offline  
post #55 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
AKA: Joyce
 
Bentleysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SE MI
Posts: 7,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 9,454
Thanked 14,432 Times in 4,353 Posts
I can't believe that I'm already seeing a difference since Bentley started boot camp!
I have a 'no kitchen' rule for the dogs. I say 'spot' and Ky goes to her spot at one door to the kitchen. I've been trying to get Bentley to go to a spot at the other door of the kitchen but he wasn't doing well so I would just close the baby gate and say when he's older he'll get it.
I've incorporated 'spot' training into our 10 min every hr sessions because I'm no longer going for the whole "he's too young" nonsense.
Tonight I started cooking dinner and I said SPOT. I almost fell over when Ky went to her spot and Bentley went to his!! And he stayed there until I released him!!
I'm really happy that I waited to get a puppy until after I retired because I'm able to spend a lot of time working with him. I do house cleaning in 50 minute intervals so we don't miss a training exercise.
Bentley's getting the hang of it too, it's almost like he can tell time. The past two hours just about when the 50 minutes were up he came over to me like he knew it was time. Sometimes dogs intelligence level is a little scary
I really think he enjoys the structure of all of it. He seems more calm, definitely more respectful. He has been leaving Ky alone when she has a toy instead of stealing from her. I think Ky knows too because she's been initiating play with Bentley far more often.

Boot camp...it's a good thing
Bentleysmom is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bentleysmom For This Useful Post:
Brave (12-18-2012), edie (12-18-2012), Helo's Mom (12-18-2012), Max's Dad (12-18-2012), Mayve (12-21-2012), xoerika620xo (12-18-2012)
post #56 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Chesters Mama Erika
 
xoerika620xo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2,938
Thanked 1,187 Times in 744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentleysmom View Post
I can't believe that I'm already seeing a difference since Bentley started boot camp!
I have a 'no kitchen' rule for the dogs. I say 'spot' and Ky goes to her spot at one door to the kitchen. I've been trying to get Bentley to go to a spot at the other door of the kitchen but he wasn't doing well so I would just close the baby gate and say when he's older he'll get it.
I've incorporated 'spot' training into our 10 min every hr sessions because I'm no longer going for the whole "he's too young" nonsense.
Tonight I started cooking dinner and I said SPOT. I almost fell over when Ky went to her spot and Bentley went to his!! And he stayed there until I released him!!
I'm really happy that I waited to get a puppy until after I retired because I'm able to spend a lot of time working with him. I do house cleaning in 50 minute intervals so we don't miss a training exercise.
Bentley's getting the hang of it too, it's almost like he can tell time. The past two hours just about when the 50 minutes were up he came over to me like he knew it was time. Sometimes dogs intelligence level is a little scary
I really think he enjoys the structure of all of it. He seems more calm, definitely more respectful. He has been leaving Ky alone when she has a toy instead of stealing from her. I think Ky knows too because she's been initiating play with Bentley far more often.

Boot camp...it's a good thing
Wow really makes me want to start since I'm done with school until January


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
xoerika620xo is offline  
post #57 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5,330
Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,435 Posts
Yeah! We're doin' a happy dance for you!!
Now you can lavish them in praise

Keep up the awesome work

Doug is offline  
post #58 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Jen
 
Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3,863
Thanked 9,119 Times in 4,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentleysmom View Post
I can't believe that I'm already seeing a difference since Bentley started boot camp!
I have a 'no kitchen' rule for the dogs. I say 'spot' and Ky goes to her spot at one door to the kitchen. I've been trying to get Bentley to go to a spot at the other door of the kitchen but he wasn't doing well so I would just close the baby gate and say when he's older he'll get it.
I've incorporated 'spot' training into our 10 min every hr sessions because I'm no longer going for the whole "he's too young" nonsense.
Tonight I started cooking dinner and I said SPOT. I almost fell over when Ky went to her spot and Bentley went to his!! And he stayed there until I released him!!
I'm really happy that I waited to get a puppy until after I retired because I'm able to spend a lot of time working with him. I do house cleaning in 50 minute intervals so we don't miss a training exercise.
Bentley's getting the hang of it too, it's almost like he can tell time. The past two hours just about when the 50 minutes were up he came over to me like he knew it was time. Sometimes dogs intelligence level is a little scary
I really think he enjoys the structure of all of it. He seems more calm, definitely more respectful. He has been leaving Ky alone when she has a toy instead of stealing from her. I think Ky knows too because she's been initiating play with Bentley far more often.

Boot camp...it's a good thing
Oh yeah!!! Great job!!! We have a similar command while we're cooking in the kitchen. I'll tell him "mat" and he'll run over to his mat, spin around and lay down. We're not 100% on him staying there all the time but he's doing better.

Everyone at puppy class was jealous because Bear had "mat" command down and the trainer was praising how well he was behaving.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Hecate's Hellhound, Bearer of Mischief, CGC - "Bear"
Hecate's Hellhound, Gypsy Magic - "Gypsy"
http://pdgf.pitapata.com/4soam7.png
http://pdgf.pitapata.com/bfSCm7.png
Brave is offline  
post #59 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
AKA: Joyce
 
Bentleysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SE MI
Posts: 7,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 9,454
Thanked 14,432 Times in 4,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Yeah! We're doin' a happy dance for you!!
Now you can lavish them in praise

Keep up the awesome work
Thanks, I've incorporated that into boot camp too. When he would play by himself I used to leave him alone because I didn't want to disturb him. Now I make it a point to interrupt him to tell him what a good boy he is. To my surprise he accepts the love & praise then goes right back to playing. Who knew??
Bentleysmom is offline  
post #60 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Love walks on four paws
 
Mayve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 1
Thanks: 4,113
Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentleysmom View Post
Thanks, I've incorporated that into boot camp too. When he would play by himself I used to leave him alone because I didn't want to disturb him. Now I make it a point to interrupt him to tell him what a good boy he is. To my surprise he accepts the love & praise then goes right back to playing. Who knew??

Way to go Bentley and you too Joyce for being so dedicated to him and Ky. Again just wanted to say I appreciate these posts, hopefully I will have learned from reading about your adventures, trials and triumphs! I know puppies are cute and tend to get away with some things because they are so cute...but I also know from past mistakes that what is cute at 11 pounds is not so cute at 50 pounds....
Mayve is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mayve For This Useful Post:
Bentleysmom (12-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome