What would you do? - Page 2 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Poll:Refund the treatment costs?
Refund all the treatment costs 5 41.67%
Refund a portion of the costs up to the price of the puppy 5 41.67%
Refund nothing 0 0%
Only offer to take back the puppy and refund the total price 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 2,470
Thanks: 1,208
Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,071 Posts
I need way more information.... what hte contract says... how old the dog is... how did you find out??? what is the incubation period... how long have you had the dog ... etc etc... my initial reaction is take the puppy back and give you your money back if its only been a week....
__________________
Shalva and the Milbrose Retrievers and Irish Wolfhound
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shalva For This Useful Post:
Mayve (01-01-2013), WildfireGoldensInArizona (01-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Lost Our Ashley
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Incubation period is 3-4 weeks. We brought her in for a vet first check and I had all the blood panels done. She is 8 months old. We did not want a puppy of 3 months but an older girl. Too atached in a week to give her back now.Sorry about all the over posts!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Lost Our Ashley
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Incubation period is 3-4 weeks. We brought her in for a vet first check and I had all the blood panels done. She is 8 months old. We did not want a puppy of 3 months but an older girl. Too attached in a week to give her back now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Lost Our Ashley
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Incubation period is 3-4 weeks. We brought her in for a vet first check and I had all the blood panels done. She is 8 months old. We did not want a puppy of 3 months but an older girl. Too attached in a week to give her back now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Lost Our Ashley
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Incubation period is 3-4 weeks. We brought her in for a vet first check and I had all the blood panels done. She is 8 months old. We did not want a puppy of 3 months but an older girl. Too attached in a week to give her back now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 33
Thanks: 21
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I agree with Shalva, more info is needed as far as the contract goes and also how soon after you picked her up did you have a veterinary exam done. Usually contracts state 72 hours. No matter what, I think I would offer to have you return the puppy and give you back a full refund as:
1. You already went through a sad time with your Ashley and
2. VF is a tricky situation. There is no guarantee on how long treatment might have to occur and if she will ever fully recover. The costs for medication is actually fairly minimal from what I have been told if you are using fluconazole (not sure of the spelling), but the titre testing, x-rays, medication treatment other than fluconazole, etc could add up to a lot of money. Some dogs are treated and recover in 7 months, others can take 1 1/2+ years and others never recover. I would rather take back the puppy now even though you say you are bonded to her and return your money and that would allow you to try again to get a healthier puppy or adult dog. With that being said, no breeder is the cause of a dog acquiring VF. It really depends on the dogs exposure and immunity system as well as other factors. I know of dogs having VF show up in the titre level while all other dogs in the same household are clear. I have been told that the percentage of humans as well as dogs and other animals is quite high for showing exposure on titre levels. It is part of living here in the desert of Arizona. There are also a lot of dogs being treated for VF which probably don't necessarily need to, but the vets err on the side treatment according to titre test levels. All puppies when they leave at 8 weeks don't have VF, but I know of some who were diagnosed with it at 4 months, were treated for 8 months and are now clear. Then again, I know of others who were diagnosed with it at over 1 and didn't recover, as well as dogs over 2 or 3 years old that did. That is why I would probably offer taking the dog back and refunding your money as no one can say how it will take at this time or what the outcome will ultimately be. Good luck with whatever decision is made.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WildfireGoldensInArizona For This Useful Post:
Shalva (01-01-2013)
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 33
Thanks: 21
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Thought about it a little more and still would make the offer of taking the pup back and refunding the money so you could hopefully find another Golden to suit your needs, but if you are truly bonded to the pup, the possibility also might be to get a second opinion from another vet and if they concur, maybe refunding the purchase price once that amount has been met in vet bills? Of course, I'm sure all parties involved would want whatever decision is made if beyond the original contract be put in writing? Not really sure, but there are probably several options here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WildfireGoldensInArizona For This Useful Post:
vwbob (01-04-2013)
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Lost Our Ashley
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks again for the replies. , Wildfire Goldens..we literally got the golden home..took her to the vet in three days..got back the diagnosis.Within a few minutes of getting the call.. I called the breeder. Then spoke with another vet to get another opinion.

I feel that from all the information I have received, our chances of having a long treatment are very very likely. Also, today I already see she is slowing down, and not doing so well.

I am very unhappy about this..and feel strongly that a golden who sends allot of time outside should have been tested for this before she was sent to a new home . Especially as VF is so prevalent in Maricopa county where I live.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
LJack's Avatar
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 973
Thanks: 1,308
Thanked 1,586 Times in 597 Posts
I am so sorry this has happened to you. I really hope the breeder does something to help make this right. I also hope you sweet girl has a fast and uneventful recovery.
__________________

Laura and the Anasazi Girls
Jinx and Tilt
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LJack For This Useful Post:
vwbob (01-04-2013)
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Lost Our Ashley
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 31
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
At this point..what is most important is having her get well. This is not about, right, wrong, money or "contract".This is what is best for our girl..It is painful to watch her in this state.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vwbob For This Useful Post:
LJack (01-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Golden Retriever Forum .com
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69