Best of these foods and experiences? - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Professional Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 57
Thanked 355 Times in 303 Posts
Best of these foods and experiences?

So every year we go camping for about 5 weeks and we don't have the availability of raw meat nor the ability to freeze it so we are forced to keep our dogs on kibble. With my old dogs we ended up on Fromm with generally the least effect in them, we have yet to find a kibble that they do equally as well on and have tryed IAMS eukanuba pro plan and Fromm, we ended up on Fromm just because it effected them the least. Now with my new pup tuco I have been reading up on foods and people's experiences and we have quite Afew in mind. Even if your food isn't on my list please mention it. I'm generally saying grain free because I personally feel corn and wheat are fillers with a relatively low biological value and a high glycemic index. I want to know if anybody knows about the actually quality of the ingredients and personal experiences cause if the meat is crap and full of antibiotics the ingredients Won't madder, here are the foods I have in mind. Take into account that tuco will be 9 months old when we bring him.

I'm extremely interested in back to basics dog fooddue to the ingredients and low percentage of plant protein and lack of starches. (I know dogs have adapted to consuming them but my dogs being on a raw diet they never ate starches and I don't want to start with too much) if anyone feeds it or has any experience please tell me, also if you know the quality of the meat.

Fromm brand dog food ( particularly surf and turf)

Evo red meat formula

Earth born holistics

Orijen dog food

Acana

Wellness CORE

Canidae




Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1500 years ago everybody knew the earth was the center of the universe

500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat

Today you know that people are alone on this planet

Imagine what you`ll know tomorrow

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/s52Zm5.png
Tuco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Thalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 744
Thanked 1,547 Times in 969 Posts
If you really want to keep raw on the road I would look into the Bravo (Bravo! Balance) formulas, the Primal (Wholesome Raw Frozen Foods for Dogs and Cats) formulas, or something similar. I personnally feed Core but I do not fool myself thinking it is remotely equivalent to raw.

ETA : Primal has freeze-dried products that do not need refrigeration from what I know.

Nathalie with Flem- DOB 04/24/2004 and Col - DOB 02/28/2013

Running like the wind and forever loved : Spip - 05/18/2002 -08/01/2015

Cherish yesterday, dream tomorrow, live today.
Thalie is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Thalie For This Useful Post:
Tuco (01-31-2013)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Beware of Nestle Purina
 
MikaTallulah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4,930
Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,891 Posts
Mine all eat Sur n' Turf and seem to love it. They get to eat cat food without actually eating cat food

Feed what works best for you and your pups!

I do what I like and like what I do. Yorkies- Cozy (4/1/06), Roxy & Zoey (2/11/08), Lucy (4/6/09); Golden- Buddy (4/13/09- Rescued 12/11) Maine Coon cats- Mika (1998) and Tallulah (2000)
MikaTallulah is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Professional Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 57
Thanked 355 Times in 303 Posts
Quote:
Feed what works best for you and your pups!
theres the thing, im gonna be feeding short term in a relatively secluded area, therefore, i need to rely on ingredients, and other peoples experiences, macin and max passed 3 years ago, and they had different needs than tuco

1500 years ago everybody knew the earth was the center of the universe

500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat

Today you know that people are alone on this planet

Imagine what you`ll know tomorrow

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/s52Zm5.png
Tuco is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Professional Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 57
Thanked 355 Times in 303 Posts
unfortunately, i simply cannot afford to feed the freeze dryed raw formulas the price is insane, even switching to one of the listed dog food brands is gonna cost me 2 to 3 times as much as feeding DIY raw currently costs me

1500 years ago everybody knew the earth was the center of the universe

500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat

Today you know that people are alone on this planet

Imagine what you`ll know tomorrow

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/s52Zm5.png
Tuco is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
So every year we go camping for about 5 weeks and we don't have the availability of raw meat nor the ability to freeze it so we are forced to keep our dogs on kibble. With my old dogs we ended up on Fromm with generally the least effect in them, we have yet to find a kibble that they do equally as well on and have tryed IAMS eukanuba pro plan and Fromm, we ended up on Fromm just because it effected them the least. Now with my new pup tuco I have been reading up on foods and people's experiences and we have quite Afew in mind. Even if your food isn't on my list please mention it. I'm generally saying grain free because I personally feel corn and wheat are fillers with a relatively low biological value and a high glycemic index. I want to know if anybody knows about the actually quality of the ingredients and personal experiences cause if the meat is crap and full of antibiotics the ingredients Won't madder, here are the foods I have in mind. Take into account that tuco will be 9 months old when we bring him.

I'm extremely interested in back to basics dog fooddue to the ingredients and low percentage of plant protein and lack of starches. (I know dogs have adapted to consuming them but my dogs being on a raw diet they never ate starches and I don't want to start with too much) if anyone feeds it or has any experience please tell me, also if you know the quality of the meat.

Fromm brand dog food ( particularly surf and turf)

Evo red meat formula

Earth born holistics

Orijen dog food

Acana

Wellness CORE

Canidae




Sent from Petguide.com Free App
By your own criteria, you just disqualified every food on your list, save a few Acana formulas. All the others have considerable potato and/or tapioca, which are higher on the glycemic index than corn or wheat with no greater nutritional value (in fact less). Additionally, the B2B, Canidae and EBF grainfrees have concentrated plant proteins. Not to mention the ash contents are probably high on all the foods.

For a young pup looking to give some energy with a quality food, consider Precise, Nutrisource/PureVita, Horizon/Pulsar, Annamaet or Dr. Tims. All have quality protein with a nice blend of carbs in both their grain inclusive and free formulas.
Garfield is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Beware of Nestle Purina
 
MikaTallulah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 4,930
Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
theres the thing, im gonna be feeding short term in a relatively secluded area, therefore, i need to rely on ingredients, and other peoples experiences, macin and max passed 3 years ago, and they had different needs than tuco
Feed what worked for you before than. I like FROMM myself and my pack is doing great on it!

I do what I like and like what I do. Yorkies- Cozy (4/1/06), Roxy & Zoey (2/11/08), Lucy (4/6/09); Golden- Buddy (4/13/09- Rescued 12/11) Maine Coon cats- Mika (1998) and Tallulah (2000)
MikaTallulah is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Kate
 
Megora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 17,847
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Thanks: 8,199
Thanked 12,573 Times in 6,510 Posts
I would not just cold turkey put my dog on any of those foods. The risk of a dog's GI system going combustive is way too much.

I assume you aren't going camping right now, so you need to actually CHECK the foods right now to see if your dog can handle a little at a time. This before you are out in the middle of nowhere and have nothing but a bag of the dog food to feed your dog.

Ingredients lists and other people's experiences - is not going to help you. Period. Every dog does differently on different foods.

You should feed what your dog can handle. Whether that's Back to Basics or Fromm or Canidae or whatever - you are not going to know unless you test your dog with SMALL amounts right now.

Whatever your dog has eaten without any problems - if he has, I would stick with that. If you have no clue, then you have to test.

Some people get all galloping obsessed about feeding their dogs THE BEST FOOD EVER, and like the girl I chatted with at the petstore yesterday, sometimes the dogs can eat and thrive on anything. It's just their owners who are nitpicking and obsessing. <- that was the point where I commented that some of the kibbles I've seen while testing on Jacks (I fed a variety of kibbles while trying to see what he does best on and what I can never feed him), a lot of the kibbles that use the same protein sources seem to smell the same to me and were the same colors. Just different sized or shaped kibble.

The exceptions were those that I found to be disgusting (salmon kibble for one brand - that smelled like cat food) or my dog balked about eating (one had no smell and one mondo premium raw coated kibble had this boat oil smell to it).

Megora is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Tayla's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,641
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,864 Posts
I feed Tayla Grandma Lucy's Freeze Dried Rabbit. No potato include, they use chickpeas in this formula. Just add warm water and you have a nice food that is super easy for travel. Pricey, yes. I order mine on line to save some money. Tayla gets 3/4 cup twice a day. I am currently feeding Earthborn to my 15 year old who is picky so we do a lot of different foods for her.

Barb, Rick, "Tayla" Ruff Start Hot On The Trail (STAR Puppy) (Born 11/11, Gotcha 3/12) and "Lily" Stargazer's Make It So, CGC (Gotcha 12/21/13)


http://pdgf.pitapata.com/ABfhm4.png

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/cZiWm5.png

Cheyenne (CGC) and Jesse (CGC) who will be always loved and never forgotten.
Tayla's Mom is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Professional Member
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 57
Thanked 355 Times in 303 Posts
Best of these foods and experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
By your own criteria, you just disqualified every food on your list, save a few Acana formulas. All the others have considerable potato and/or tapioca, which are higher on the glycemic index than corn or wheat with no greater nutritional value (in fact less). Additionally, the B2B, Canidae and EBF grainfrees have concentrated plant proteins. Not to mention the ash contents are probably high on all the foods.

For a young pup looking to give some energy with a quality food, consider Precise, Nutrisource/PureVita, Horizon/Pulsar, Annamaet or Dr. Tims. All have quality protein with a nice blend of carbs in both their grain inclusive and free formulas.
I'm willing to deal with potatoes as my pup will receive it occasionally


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1500 years ago everybody knew the earth was the center of the universe

500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat

Today you know that people are alone on this planet

Imagine what you`ll know tomorrow

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/s52Zm5.png
Tuco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome