Nutrisca Salmon, comments or thoughts - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tampa
Posts: 18
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nutrisca Salmon, comments or thoughts

Anyone try Dogswell Nutrisca Salmon or Eagle Holistic Select Anchovey, Sardine and Salmon? My boys chew and scratch on their feet, legs and whatever they can reach with anything with chicken and potato in. Currently using Fromm Duck w/Sweet potato with great improvement. Also, what is the difference between potato and sweet potato allergy wise?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 464
Thanks: 7
Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgoldens View Post
Anyone try Dogswell Nutrisca Salmon or Eagle Holistic Select Anchovey, Sardine and Salmon? My boys chew and scratch on their feet, legs and whatever they can reach with anything with chicken and potato in. Currently using Fromm Duck w/Sweet potato with great improvement. Also, what is the difference between potato and sweet potato allergy wise?
As rare as food allergies are, if you notice something when your dog eats chicken and potato, chances are its the chicken.

Neither white potatoes or sweet potatoes are linked to allergic reactions that I am aware of.

The Eagle looks like a nice food, people love it and its been around a long time.

Annamaet makes two great fish formulas, Option and Aqualuk and a really great red meat formula called Manitok, with no chicken, chicken fat or eggs.

Dr. Tim's should have a Bison formula out in a few months.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tampa
Posts: 18
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
He will start scratching, chewing on his feet etc within the same afternoon when he eats chicken based foods. Since he has been on either salmon or duck he does exihibit the same behavior. Any thoughts on the Nustrisca? Ideally, would like to have an alternative of a food that can also be bought locally...incase mail order delays (had a 7 day delay due to the last snow storm).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 464
Thanks: 7
Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgoldens View Post
He will start scratching, chewing on his feet etc within the same afternoon when he eats chicken based foods. Since he has been on either salmon or duck he does exihibit the same behavior. Any thoughts on the Nustrisca? Ideally, would like to have an alternative of a food that can also be bought locally...incase mail order delays (had a 7 day delay due to the last snow storm).
Looks ok, no pea protein concentrate like many other foods.

Try it and see how it goes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 356
Thanks: 2
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgoldens View Post
He will start scratching, chewing on his feet etc within the same afternoon when he eats chicken based foods. Since he has been on either salmon or duck he does exihibit the same behavior. Any thoughts on the Nustrisca? Ideally, would like to have an alternative of a food that can also be bought locally...incase mail order delays (had a 7 day delay due to the last snow storm).
FWIW, one of my Goldens has an allergy to both chicken and white potato (he' s fine with sweet pots) and I've trialed both foods you mentioned in my pack's feeding rotation. With the Nutrisca's higher fiber, low-mod calories, had to feed comparatively more of it to maintain weight. This may work well for certain dogs that are overweight, inactive, diabetic, and/or easy keepers, but it wasn't a good fit for my pack. I'm also not overly keen on the company.

Eagle (particularly Holistic Select) has a better reputation, but I found that particular food to be rather average. A bit low in protein & fat for my crew, but again, that may be ideal for some other dogs. Keep in mind both this formula and the Fromm contain eggs, which if from a chicken, could also be problematic.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 464
Thanks: 7
Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
FWIW, one of my Goldens has an allergy to both chicken and white potato (he' s fine with sweet pots) and I've trialed both foods you mentioned in my pack's feeding rotation. With the Nutrisca's higher fiber, low-mod calories, had to feed comparatively more of it to maintain weight. This may work well for certain dogs that are overweight, inactive, diabetic, and/or easy keepers, but it wasn't a good fit for my pack. I'm also not overly keen on the company.

Eagle (particularly Holistic Select) has a better reputation, but I found that particular food to be rather average. A bit low in protein & fat for my crew, but again, that may be ideal for some other dogs. Keep in mind both this formula and the Fromm contain eggs, which if from a chicken, could also be problematic.
You could try Victor. There are two fish formulas with sweet potato. One has chicken fat but that should be ok. Both are very good values.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Golden Retriever Forum .com
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65