EVO Quality - Post P&G Acquisition - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
artbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 59 Times in 44 Posts
EVO Quality - Post P&G Acquisition

Have any EVO feeders seen changes (positive or negative) since P&G took over? Thanks.
artbuc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Nancy
 
Willow52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 7,493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,488
Thanked 2,098 Times in 1,509 Posts
I feed Innova, which is also made by NaturaPet/P&G. I've been using it for over 3 years and haven't seen any changes in quailty, positive or negative.

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/80BAm4.png


**Fraulein "Maggie" Louise 8/2/95 - 7/20/09**
*At Rainbow Bridge but Forever in Our Hearts*



Willow52 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
I don't think it is any worse, but the protein quality is bad and I really don't care what dog food rating websites say. Many dogs suffer constipation on it because of the amount of bone in it. I would never feed a normally active dog this food. 12% ash is extremely dangerous over the long term for the average dog.
WasChampionFan is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
artbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 59 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasChampionFan View Post
I don't think it is any worse, but the protein quality is bad and I really don't care what dog food rating websites say. Many dogs suffer constipation on it because of the amount of bone in it. I would never feed a normally active dog this food. 12% ash is extremely dangerous over the long term for the average dog.
Thanks WCF. I keep forgetting to look at ash!!
artbuc is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Golden Lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 14
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hey all - first post here, but aside from that let's get back to business!!

I'm adopting my second Golden on this coming Tuesday. He's 3 and has been eating EVO Red Meat large dog dry food. It's expensive stuff, but I've heard good things. I've got some Blue Buffalo (Chicken and Salmon) that I intended to begin to swap over to, but now I'm curious about all this talk regarding ash as an ingredient.

My first Golden was always on Science Diet (not my decision, I was young then), but since this is my personal dog I want to make sure he gets the best stuff out there. I just don't understand why there would be ash in dog food.

Thanks!!

-Ryan
IrishTiger is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTiger View Post
Hey all - first post here, but aside from that let's get back to business!!

I'm adopting my second Golden on this coming Tuesday. He's 3 and has been eating EVO Red Meat large dog dry food. It's expensive stuff, but I've heard good things. I've got some Blue Buffalo (Chicken and Salmon) that I intended to begin to swap over to, but now I'm curious about all this talk regarding ash as an ingredient.

My first Golden was always on Science Diet (not my decision, I was young then), but since this is my personal dog I want to make sure he gets the best stuff out there. I just don't understand why there would be ash in dog food.

Thanks!!


-Ryan
Ash is not an ingredient per se. Ash is basically what's left over after the food is burned. What is left is mineral content. Burning foods is way to measure what the mineral content is, also some other things, but its is mostly minerals.


High ash foods are high in minerals. The most troublesome is phosphorous. High ash (high mineral) foods are a sign the food has poor protein quality.

I would never feed EVO to the average dog, especially for long periods of time.
WasChampionFan is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Altamont NY
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 4
Thanks: 2
Thanked 46 Times in 22 Posts
I fed Evo, the fishy stuff

Hi, Both of my goldens have had mast cells removed. The holistic vet suggested feeding Evo due to the high protein content. Neither has had anymore tumors since I switched. I guess we fall into not average dog category. It does seem to agree with both of them. I won't jinx my two but we're on a pretty good health run for a while. Fingers crossed. Alex
Rastadog is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
artbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 59 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastadog View Post
Hi, Both of my goldens have had mast cells removed. The holistic vet suggested feeding Evo due to the high protein content. Neither has had anymore tumors since I switched. I guess we fall into not average dog category. It does seem to agree with both of them. I won't jinx my two but we're on a pretty good health run for a while. Fingers crossed. Alex
You can get high protein and low ash.
artbuc is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 67 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbuc View Post
You can get high protein and low ash.

You can, Dr. Tim's Momentum has about the same level of carbs as Evo and is much safer to feed with half the ash.
WasChampionFan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome