Large lump under spay incision... - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
KRayl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Large lump under spay incision...

Well, we're 8 days past surgery for Avery's spay and it looks like we're headed back to the vet tonight. For the last couple of days, she's had a lump developing under her incision. (The incision looks good - it's underneath that's questionable.) The lump is the length of the incision and pretty much the size of a golf ball and it's not getting any smaller.

I'm wondering if anyone has anyone run in to similar complications after their pups were spayed?

This girl keeps me on my toes!
__________________


Last edited by KRayl; 02-11-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
paula bedard's Avatar
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland- By the Chesapeake Bay :)
Posts: 12,546
Images: 99
Thanks: 354
Thanked 730 Times in 565 Posts
No, I've only had males. Good luck. I hope she's fine. Almost sounds like a hernia. ?
__________________

Miss You Sam...
Aug 1, '94 ~ Jan 8, '07
http://www.scrapblog.com/viewer/vw_f...px?sbid=483622
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM
GeorgeAndMaggiesMom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Camden, NY
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GeoAndMaggiesMom

A visit to the vet is always a good idea when in doubt. We recently adopted a five month old rescue golden, Maggie. She was spayed shortly before we brought her home. She also developed a lump under her incision. The shelter lady told us that it was a hernia and that it was very common. We were going to the vet anyway. So, I asked about her lump. The vet said not to worry. And, a few days after our vet visit, it started shrinking and was gone. I hope that your doggie is fine and that it is just a bump on her road to recovery.
__________________
George & Maggie's Mom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
KRayl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssouva View Post
A visit to the vet is always a good idea when in doubt. We recently adopted a five month old rescue golden, Maggie. She was spayed shortly before we brought her home. She also developed a lump under her incision. The shelter lady told us that it was a hernia and that it was very common. We were going to the vet anyway. So, I asked about her lump. The vet said not to worry. And, a few days after our vet visit, it started shrinking and was gone. I hope that your doggie is fine and that it is just a bump on her road to recovery.
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks. We're definitely taking her to the vet tonight but, in the meantime, I'm curious as to what's going on.
__________________

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
moverking's Avatar
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,651
Images: 527
Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 12 Posts
Maybe a seroma, hematoma or a stitch reaction? That sounds more swollen than it should be.
Can't find any good pics, but here's a google page with similar symptoms:
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Run it by your vet...and give Avery a hug...I always admire your siggy pics of her, she's a doll and you're a good photographer!
__________________

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
- Tolkien

Maribeth, Sadie & Loocie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I've seen all good people
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 4,969
Images: 99
Thanks: 329
Thanked 328 Times in 200 Posts
This happened with my last foster girl. The incision looked great, but there was a mushy feeling lump kind of next to/under the incision. My vet told me that if the area didn't feel hotter than normal to the touch, and if there was no discharge from the area (clear discharge would be okay) that it was just fluid build up. She also told me to put warm compresses on it several times a day. I think the lump started forming about 4 days after the spay, and it was gone in about a week.

I know this has happened to a few other people here after their girls were spayed. By all means though, talk to your vet if you are uncomfortable about anything.
__________________
~Sarah & Merlin ~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 AM
KRayl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moverking View Post
Maybe a seroma, hematoma or a stitch reaction? That sounds more swollen than it should be.
Can't find any good pics, but here's a google page with similar symptoms:
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Run it by your vet...and give Avery a hug...I always admire your siggy pics of her, she's a doll and you're a good photographer!
Thanks! I need to get some more recent photos up...she's getting big!

I did a few searches on-line and it came up with a few possibilities. Hopefully whatever it is will be a simple, quick fix. She's dying to get out there again to play!!!! (and we're ready for it, too! haha!)
__________________

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
SoGolden's Avatar
Professional Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,679
Images: 27
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRayl View Post
Well, we're 8 days past surgery for Avery's spay and it looks like we're headed back to the vet tonight. For the last couple of days, she's had a lump developing under her incision. (The incision looks good - it's underneath that's questionable.) The lump is the length of the incision and pretty much the size of a golf ball and it's not getting any smaller.

I'm wondering if anyone has anyone run in to similar complications after their pups were spayed?

This girl keeps me on my toes!
What was the outcome with the Vet? did I miss it somewhere?
__________________

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM
KRayl's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

Sorry - I'm just seeing this now. It turned out to be a reaction to the sutures and it ended up going down on its own after about a week. We ended up having to keep her low activity for TWO weeks. That was hard!

She's good and healed now, though.
__________________

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
SoGolden's Avatar
Professional Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,679
Images: 27
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Good to hear she is well again! Thanks for the update.
__________________

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Golden Retriever Forum .com
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69