Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East of the Rockies, West of the Rest
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1,571 Times in 818 Posts
Ranger has dry skin and it gets really bad in the fall/winter. His coat is usually pretty glossy unless I falter from his 'skin and coat care' regimen.
Year round he gets:
- Mackerel or herring fish 2-3 times a week (he's raw fed).
- 1-2 fish oil pills/day
- Raw eggs - shell included - 1-2 times a week.
- 1 can of duck+fish tripe/week.
and a bath once per week in the summer with high quality shampoo and conditioner.
In the winter:
- 2-4 raw eggs a week.
- 2-3 fish pills a day.
- Mackerel or herring 4 times a week (added as snacks).
- Sardines once a week.
- 1 tsp of extra-virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil.
I also brush him with a rake and pin brush, making sure to get it all the way to his skin.