International Champion Question? - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ataylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 3
Thanks: 6
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts
International Champion Question?

Can someone please explain to me about International Champion. My dog, Kailey, her dad is an Int'l/Am/Can Ch. How does your dog become an Int'l Ch? Where do you go for information?
ataylor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Nel
New Member
 
Nel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You get your Int'l Championship (if in USA) by participating in the international dog show or IABCA. International Dog Show Calendar

The dogs there do not compete against each other but are judge according to the standard of the breed. The better the representation the dog makes of it's breed, the higher the ranking. Int'l Ch is earned by meeting the requirements the best. There can be multiple Int'l Ch in one show.
Nel is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Member
 
damita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dryden, ON
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 34
Thanked 207 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
You get your Int'l Championship (if in USA) by participating in the international dog show or IABCA. International Dog Show Calendar

The dogs there do not compete against each other but are judge according to the standard of the breed. The better the representation the dog makes of it's breed, the higher the ranking. Int'l Ch is earned by meeting the requirements the best. There can be multiple Int'l Ch in one show.
Having put International Championships on all of my dogs - I have to say yes and no to the above. It is pretty much a gimmie title at the shows I have been too - I have seen some VERY incorrect dogs with V1 ratings. While the dogs are first judged against the standard they then do compete against each other for Best of Breed, Best in Group, Best in Show etc. Pyper has 3 Best Veteran in Shows and one Reserve , Georgia has a Best Bred by Exhibitor in Show and 1 reserve and CJ has a Best Bred by in Show as well. All in all I do like the atmosphere of it being way more relaxed than CKC or AKC, I like the written critiques (although by the end of the second day they just read "correct"), and the tiered title system (you can keep competing for higher titles). What I didn't like was the high entry fee and "costs" for actually getting your certificate or the LONG (it was a year for our first ones) to actually recieve your certificates.

Edit to add: This is the only "conformation" title that I know of that does NOT require that you have to defeat any other dog.

Rebecca
Damita Goldens (reg'd)

Owned by:
Pyper - Can/Int/UKC CH Jevas Simple Charm RA CGN CD TT
Cooper - Can/Int'l CH Jazloma's Cooper Creek CGN
Georgia - Can/Intl' CH Damita's Georgia on My Mind RA CGN
CJ - Can/Int/UKC CH Damita's Lets Motor CGN
damita is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:45 PM
...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 29
Thanks: 830
Thanked 2,497 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damita View Post
Having put International Championships on all of my dogs - I have to say yes and no to the above. It is pretty much a gimmie title at the shows I have been too - I have seen some VERY incorrect dogs with V1 ratings. While the dogs are first judged against the standard they then do compete against each other for Best of Breed, Best in Group, Best in Show etc. Pyper has 3 Best Veteran in Shows and one Reserve , Georgia has a Best Bred by Exhibitor in Show and 1 reserve and CJ has a Best Bred by in Show as well. All in all I do like the atmosphere of it being way more relaxed than CKC or AKC, I like the written critiques (although by the end of the second day they just read "correct"), and the tiered title system (you can keep competing for higher titles). What I didn't like was the high entry fee and "costs" for actually getting your certificate or the LONG (it was a year for our first ones) to actually recieve your certificates.

Edit to add: This is the only "conformation" title that I know of that does NOT require that you have to defeat any other dog.

I agree - so many of the Int'l Champions could never achieve either an AKC or a CKC championship, many not even a UKC ch.
Basically it is a title that pretty nearly anyone can purchase.

Hahaha
Pointgold is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
 
LibertyME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brewer, Maine
Posts: 10,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Images: 38
Thanks: 4,539
Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,418 Posts
I would think a CCA would be more meaningful more AND you actually get some feedback out of the evaluation.

Mary and the Goldens from Maine

"Trace" - Can. CH Bramley's Light Up The Night, CD, RA - (CGC, CCA, TDI-Therapy Dog and Novice DockDock)
"Rumor" - Jackson's Leap of Faith, RN
"Cadence" - Poeticgold's Of Soldiers and Song

Waiting at the Bridge
"Lexi" - Wise Teacher and Best-est Puppy Raiser
"Liberty" - Bramley's Golden Moments Libby CD, RE - ASCA-CD, Can. CD - (CGC and TDI-Therapy Dog)
LibertyME is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Nel
New Member
 
Nel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can also receive BOB if it's the ONLY breed there. I think it also depends on the Judge the time of judging, so when you look, instead of just looking at Int'l Ch itself, look at everything else as well...who were the competitors, how many other dogs were there and who were the judges .
Nel is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Preeminent Member
 
hotel4dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SW of Chicago
Posts: 19,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Thanks: 24,137
Thanked 18,264 Times in 7,029 Posts
I do know of a couple of golden breeders who put AKC, UKC, and Int'l championships on their dogs, just because they enjoy doing it. One is pretty well known. But they don't put just the Int'l on the dogs for the reasons that Rebecca, Laura, and Mary have given; the dogs are AKC CH too.



CH Rosewood Little Giant, VCD2 UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP MFP T2BP TD DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG (born 3-10-2007), also UCH HR UH UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT a.k.a. "Tito" (the Tito Monster)

waiting at the bridge:
My first dog, and my most special girl
Gibson's Golden Girl, CD, CGC, TDI ( 3-20-1997 - 11-22-2013) a.k.a. "Tiny", "Queen B"
and my heart dog
Gibson's Golden Guy, CD, CGC, TDI ( 01-31-1998 - 01-02-2012) a.k.a. "Toby", "HRH"
hotel4dogs is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Member
 
damita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dryden, ON
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 34
Thanked 207 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
I do know of a couple of golden breeders who put AKC, UKC, and Int'l championships on their dogs, just because they enjoy doing it. One is pretty well known. But they don't put just the Int'l on the dogs for the reasons that Rebecca, Laura, and Mary have given; the dogs are AKC CH too.
- exactly! Now that my guys all have their Canadian and International Championships we are headed off to our first UKC show this weekend... any tips Barb?

Rebecca
Damita Goldens (reg'd)

Owned by:
Pyper - Can/Int/UKC CH Jevas Simple Charm RA CGN CD TT
Cooper - Can/Int'l CH Jazloma's Cooper Creek CGN
Georgia - Can/Intl' CH Damita's Georgia on My Mind RA CGN
CJ - Can/Int/UKC CH Damita's Lets Motor CGN
damita is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Grumpy Old Man
 
Swampcollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 185
Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,291 Posts
Quote:
I agree - so many of the Int'l Champions could never achieve either an AKC or a CKC championship, many not even a UKC ch.
Basically it is a title that pretty nearly anyone can purchase.

Now be fair. I tend to believe that participation in any type of organized event by dog/handler is a good thing.

The Int CH is an excellent venu for beginners to start learning about Conformation. The dogs are evaluated against the IABC Standard and given a rating. (Very similar in concept to the CCA)

It is a good opportunity for new handlers to enter the sport without getting too beat up. They get an education and encouragement to continue. If they find success here, they may attempt UKC or AKC events where they otherwise would not.

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy
Swampcollie is online now  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:56 PM
...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Images: 29
Thanks: 830
Thanked 2,497 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
Now be fair. I tend to believe that participation in any type of organized event by dog/handler is a good thing.

The Int CH is an excellent venu for beginners to start learning about Conformation. The dogs are evaluated against the IABC Standard and given a rating. (Very similar in concept to the CCA)

It is a good opportunity for new handlers to enter the sport without getting too beat up. They get an education and encouragement to continue. If they find success here, they may attempt UKC or AKC events where they otherwise would not.
I also am a huge advocate of people doing things with their dogs, so in that respect, it's a great thing. I just can't hold a dog who has only an Int'l CH as being the greatest dog on four legs. Far too many that do are being marketed as such on internet Puppy$Sale sites as being the highest quality EVER - and because the title is "International", the general public is inclined to think that this dog is some sort of Winner of the Universe or something. Many of them that earn Int'l CH's are not, IMO, even of a breedable quality.
I also know some people with AM/Can CH's who have gone for Int'l later - again, because they like doing "stuff" with their dogs (but they don't advertise and rarely even mention the Int'l ch...) Now, though, with the AKC offering Grand Chapionships, many of those people are back in the AKC rings to earn those...

Hahaha
Pointgold is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome