1) Make sure you have a few trusted people to get the downlow on what judges like your dog's style. Very few dogs are every judge's cup of tea, and entering under the wrong judge for your particular dog can be like hitting your head against a wall. You might want to enter under judges who won't put up your dog: for the experience, to support your club, to take one for the team and help build a major, but then you do it with open eyes and you don't feel discouraged. When you have two or three experienced advisors on judges, do not listen to one other soul, no matter how well-intentioned, bc people have very anecdotal opinions about judging unless they have been around a long time.
2) have a thorough understanding of your dog'd best strengths and most detracting weakness, and learn how to address them in how you handle.
3) Don't try and cut corners on coat and details. It's hopeless, lol; I have tried! You really do have to give that bath at 11pm, and blow dry too.
4) Just like you cannot tell a flower when to open, you can't tell a dog when to blossom and be ready to win, win , win. However, you must prepare painstakingly before that time comes in order to be ready for it. You want to show your dog young do enough so he or she is a little pro, but not so much the dog is out there forever and not winning.
5) Take heart in the little victories. That class win and that reserve are hopeful signs. Conversely, if you are never winning your class or age group, you need to go on a quest to find out if your dog truly is show quality or if there is a big flaw in your preparation. The old cliche" you can't win if you don't enter" is very true as there is a part of showing that is a numbers game; on the other hand, if you are last in your class over and over, stop entering and get help.
BISS GCHB CH Tamarack Billions Of Stars Over Poeticgold TDI CGCA CGC BPIS Top 20 2015
Goldiva Raleigh Tangled Up In Blue CD RAE TDI TT CGCA CGC
GCH CH Harborview Sweeter Than 'Shine At PoeticGold CGC
Pebwin Reverie SoothSayer CGC(major pointed from puppy class)
PoeticGold I Named A Star For You Over Knotty Pines
RainyDay PoeticGold Holding Out For A Hero
Last edited by Ljilly28; 11-26-2012 at 06:03 PM.