Update on Renny!
Well, it's been awhile since I posted about my rescue, Renny. Have had him since 10/19/12. So, here's what I've learned about him...and me(!) in the past few weeks:
1. Very trainable....BUT...I need to be more consistent in my training. Have to work on recall especially.
2. Walking is getting better, but still needs lot of work. Opted not to use the Gentle Leader per a trainer's recommendation explaining that it can really hurt the dog's neck. I had to agree with this specifically for Renny since, when he gets excited wanting to meet other dogs on our walks, he jumps around and flails like crazy...literally . For now, I'm back to the chain (high on the neck), but will reassess with my trainer (see below).
3. He's been doing really well at the dog park on the weekends, and I've started taking him to doggie daycare 2 days during the week. Had to opt for daycare since I could tell he was getting bored at home! (He had chewed off the ends of my blinds cord....luckily I found the small pieces of wood on the floor!) He really loves playing with other dogs, and handles himself pretty well. Although it's impossible to do recall on him at the park. When he's finally tired/thirsty at @30 mins, he'll come to me, and we'll go to the car where he can calm down and drink water. (The water's turned off for the winter at the park).
4. Have had a few one-on-one playdates with a couple of dogs in the neighborhood. He met my across-the-street neighbor's black lab, Joey, this past weekend and had a great time.
5. I'm definitely signing up for lessons with a new private trainer to work on his extreme excitability when he sees other dogs on our walks, the heeling, and his recall. Going for the free consultation this coming weekend.
I'm noticing, especially, that I need to work on MY reactions to his excitability when walking, etc. I get tense, worried and impatient, and really don't think I'm dealing with these "issues" correctly. Sooo, hoping the trainer can clear up some things for me.
And, one last thing: I'm fairly certain he's a Golden Retriever + Australian Shepherd mix, due to his amber eyes, and long legs/pelvic structure.
So, that's the update. If anyone has any suggestions, by all means let me know!
Maxi, my beautiful girl. Gotcha day 6/5/2014. Birthdate 9/16/2008.
Last edited by Wendy427; 12-04-2012 at 12:53 PM.
It sounds like you're going through a lot of the same things that I am with Bella. She had had no formal training when we brought her home, but is very smart. Leash walking needs work but she's doing well on a front-hook harness. It sounds like you're doing everything just right!
|The Following User Says Thank You to OutWest For This Useful Post:|