Looking for 'white' english cream breeder in NC or PA - Page 3 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
ragtym's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 406
Thanks: 64
Thanked 314 Times in 92 Posts
Quick lesson on clearances:

Hips/Elbows should be final clearances, not preliminary records. You can tell the difference by the OFA numbers and by the certificate itself. Final clearances include both letters and numbers ie GR-123456G24M. Prelims are numbers only. Final clearances are printed on half sheets of colored paper, prelims are printed full sheets on white paper.

Cardiac should have been done by a cardiologist or specialist, not a practitioner (normal vet). Cardiologists have special training and/or equipment to hear problems a normal vet might not hear.

Eye clearances should be done on a YEARLY basis, not just once and need to have been done by a canine eye doctor, not just a normal vet.

Creekside lists 2 bitches:

Creekside Queen Anne’s Lace - she has a hip clearance and a cardiac clearance listed in OFA. The Cardiac clearance was done by a practioner (normal vet) not a cardiologist. There is no current eye clearance listed with CERF but that could just mean they didn't send it in. There is no elbow clearance listed with OFA.

Creekside Princess Camomile - has only a cardiac clearance listed with OFA again done by a practitioner. No final clearances for hips or elbows listed with OFA and no current eye clearances listed on CERF. Again, CERF may not have been sent in.

Solid Rock - 5 litters currently. Hips, elbows certs look good on most of their dogs. A couple of dogs are listed incorrectly as being OFA Excellent when their actual OFA record says Good though. No current eye clearances listed with CERF for most of them though. Hearts were done by practitioners for most dogs. Their guarantee requires the return of YOUR puppy to receive a replacement puppy - BIG warning sign. Most reputable breeders do not require the return of the puppy in order to honor their warranty/guarantee.

Marcy's Goldens - BIG warning signs here - very few registered names listed so VERY difficult to verify clearances. What registered names are listed are spelled incorrectly - again making it difficult to verify. They warrantee only against "all serious life altering genetic disease, that will cause the dog to die or to be put down - provided for two years after the date of sale, and must be determined by at least two veterinarians." but specifically state that does not include hips.

If you have your heart set on the English-type (which is what they really are - not a color but a TYPE of Golden), Tanglewood (http://www.tanglewoodgoldens.com) is a good suggestion if for nothing else than they are not just pumping out their pups. They are also competing (and winning) with their dogs and seem to be more interested in the breed as a whole rather than as a marketing scheme.

Last edited by ragtym; 07-26-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
xSLZx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NC for now.
Posts: 469
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
It sounds as though you're looking for a "light" golden retriever similar to this one.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k9..._1050SMALL.jpg

Base your search on factual criteria rather than marketing buzz words and you'll find success. Goldens come in various shades of gold from light to medium to very dark. That is as true in the US as it is in the UK. The little girl in the photo is linebred on an old dog from decades past called Tigathoe's Kiowa II. Light colored goldens are not new nor are they rare. They can be found all across North America.
More white than that. But we won't be picky about it. If we can't come across a white/cream puppy, we'll go with a lighter gold. Here are some examples of what we'd love to have.

http://www.hiddenmeadowenglishgolden...erFancyPic.PNG

http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/...1.jpg_w450.jpg

http://dogpictures.bloglog.hu/files/...-retriever.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
xSLZx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NC for now.
Posts: 469
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtym View Post
Quick lesson on clearances:

Hips/Elbows should be final clearances, not preliminary records. You can tell the difference by the OFA numbers and by the certificate itself. Final clearances include both letters and numbers ie GR-123456G24M. Prelims are numbers only. Final clearances are printed on half sheets of colored paper, prelims are printed full sheets on white paper.

Cardiac should have been done by a cardiologist or specialist, not a practitioner (normal vet). Cardiologists have special training and/or equipment to hear problems a normal vet might not hear.

Eye clearances should be done on a YEARLY basis, not just once and need to have been done by a canine eye doctor, not just a normal vet.

Creekside lists 2 bitches:

Creekside Queen Anne’s Lace - she has a hip clearance and a cardiac clearance listed in OFA. The Cardiac clearance was done by a practioner (normal vet) not a cardiologist. There is no current eye clearance listed with CERF but that could just mean they didn't send it in. There is no elbow clearance listed with OFA.

Creekside Princess Camomile - has only a cardiac clearance listed with OFA again done by a practitioner. No final clearances for hips or elbows listed with OFA and no current eye clearances listed on CERF. Again, CERF may not have been sent in.

Solid Rock - 5 litters currently. Hips, elbows certs look good on most of their dogs. A couple of dogs are listed incorrectly as being OFA Excellent when their actual OFA record says Good though. No current eye clearances listed with CERF for most of them though. Hearts were done by practitioners for most dogs.

Marcy's Goldens - BIG warning signs here - very few registered names listed so VERY difficult to verify clearances. What registered names are listed are spelled incorrectly - again making it difficult to verify. They warrantee only against "all serious life altering genetic disease, that will cause the dog to die or to be put down - provided for two years after the date of sale, and must be determined by at least two veterinarians." but specifically state that does not include hips.

If you have your heart set on the English-type (which is what they really are - not a color but a TYPE of Golden), Tanglewood (http://www.tanglewoodgoldens.com) is a good suggestion if for nothing else than they are not just pumping out their pups. They are also competing (and winning) with their dogs and seem to be more interested in the breed as a whole rather than as a marketing scheme.

Thank You! I wish i could figure this all out on my own. I'm glad i found this forum, so when we do find a breeder, we will get the "ok" from here first. I have checked out tanglewood from other posts on here. They are bookmarked. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
ragtym's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 406
Thanks: 64
Thanked 314 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSLZx View Post
Thank You! I wish i could figure this all out on my own. I'm glad i found this forum, so when we do find a breeder, we will get the "ok" from here first. I have checked out tanglewood from other posts on here. They are bookmarked. Thanks.
hehe - I'm glad you found us as well and you're welcome.

BTW, don't feel bad about not being able to figure this out on your own. Some of these "breeders" are very adept at hiding and/or twisting things to make themselves look knowledgeable and trustworthy. They count on the average puppy buyer not knowing how to verify information and can look and sound very convincing.

You might find this helpful: http://grca.org/allabout/a_find5.html - it gives some guidelines about what to look for in a reputable, responsible breeder.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Swampcollie's Avatar
Grumpy Old Man
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,764
Thanks: 33
Thanked 1,625 Times in 670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSLZx View Post
More white than that. But we won't be picky about it. If we can't come across a white/cream puppy, we'll go with a lighter gold. Here are some examples of what we'd love to have.

http://www.hiddenmeadowenglishgolden...erFancyPic.PNG

http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/...1.jpg_w450.jpg

http://dogpictures.bloglog.hu/files/...-retriever.jpg
Keep in mind that puppies will darken as they mature, so those puppies you're looking at will grow darker. Look for actual un-edited photos of adult dogs included in a prospective pups ancestory.
Remember the breed is called Golden Retriever for a reason. It is not called a White Retriever. If you're set on a white dog, perhaps a Great Pyrenees would be more to your tastes.
__________________
"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Bender's Avatar
chew chew chew
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,572
Thanks: 5
Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
Also check out Kyon kennels in Ontario, Canada:

http://www.kyonkennels.com/Retrievers/Goldens.htm

They may not be close, but it doesn't hurt to ask them about what they have and if they know of any pups closer to you. Don't focus on the colour, look for health first. It's like a car - do you want a white car that lives in the shop and costs you a lot in bills, or a yellow car that you can count on?

Lana
__________________
CH Goldcker's Bending The Rules SHDCH AGI ADC CGN Am NGC FDCH - Bender
Quanda's Admit One FDX - Ticket(Golden in Border Collie suit)
Goldcker's Next Chapter - Storee (wild child in training)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
ragtym's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 406
Thanks: 64
Thanked 314 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSLZx View Post
More white than that. But we won't be picky about it. If we can't come across a white/cream puppy, we'll go with a lighter gold. Here are some examples of what we'd love to have.

http://www.hiddenmeadowenglishgolden...erFancyPic.PNG

http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/...1.jpg_w450.jpg

http://dogpictures.bloglog.hu/files/...-retriever.jpg
BTW, here's an interesting tidbit for you - see the color of those puppies' ears? That's a close approximation of the color that they will be when they are adults. All three of those puppies will be a bit darker than their body coat is now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:04 AM
xSLZx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NC for now.
Posts: 469
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtym View Post
BTW, here's an interesting tidbit for you - see the color of those puppies' ears? That's a close approximation of the color that they will be when they are adults. All three of those puppies will be a bit darker than their body coat is now.
Thanks! I figured they'd darken up. Though i've seen very light/white looking OLDER dogs as well. So i know they exsist. I'm not talking snow white, and like i said, we're not picky about it. We just want a REALLY light light light golden. If you google around, you will see some adult goldens who are very light in color and look almost white.

Keep in mind that this is NOT why we are getting a puppy. The color is just what we would like to have. Some prefer that fox red color. We prefer the VERY light color. This is why we are having a more difficult time finding a good breeders website. The ones we are finding are all calling them "english cream". I know there is a breeder out there who will breed the color we are looking for as well as the personality we are looking for. it's just a matter of finding them. And it's hard when you're limited to certain distances.

Last edited by xSLZx; 07-26-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
annef's Avatar
goldenfan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 557
Images: 9
Thanks: 195
Thanked 300 Times in 161 Posts
It is difficult but not impossible to find pale (as we call them)goldens. I have a mixture as you can see on the pictures. Perhaps look for UK bred goldens or Scandanavian breeding and not from a site that calls them 'english creams' It may be worth looking at some of the Canadian breeders as there is some UK breeding there and they may have sold dogs to the USA. I hope you find a lovely puppy . Annef
__________________
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Bender's Avatar
chew chew chew
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,572
Thanks: 5
Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
Somebody with more time should do a good sticky on this.... seems to come up all the time!

Lana
__________________
CH Goldcker's Bending The Rules SHDCH AGI ADC CGN Am NGC FDCH - Bender
Quanda's Admit One FDX - Ticket(Golden in Border Collie suit)
Goldcker's Next Chapter - Storee (wild child in training)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
© Golden Retriever Forum .com
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64