I Can't Believe My Taxes Pay Their Salaries - Page 3 - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

GoldenRetrieverForum.com is the premier Golden Retriever Dog Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM
solinvictus's Avatar
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,722
Images: 4
Thanks: 1,373
Thanked 2,958 Times in 1,356 Posts
Wondering if animal services even has this responsible pet ownership course set up. These rules and regulations are to keep people from breeding their pets and to make it hard for all breeders especially those hobby breeders we need. It is harrassing for responsible owners such as your family and punishing to quality breeders and for bad pet owners and irresponsible breeders they just don't register and attempt to fly under the radar so it isn't punishing or a hardship for them.
__________________
Helie and Luke


Sol Invictus

A Dog Is A Life Time Commitment
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solinvictus For This Useful Post:
Dallas Gold (01-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Dallas Gold's Avatar
Toby & Yogi's Mom
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20,894
Images: 13
Thanks: 15,723
Thanked 18,481 Times in 8,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus View Post
Wondering if animal services even has this responsible pet ownership course set up. These rules and regulations are to keep people from breeding their pets and to make it hard for all breeders especially those hobby breeders we need. It is harrassing for responsible owners such as your family and punishing to quality breeders and for bad pet owners and irresponsible breeders they just don't register and attempt to fly under the radar so it isn't punishing or a hardship for them.
Not only does it harass responsible owners, the ordinance also imposes an additional requirement because Intact Animal owners must also pay to microchip the animal before they can receive the permit. Microchipping is something I support 100% and plan to do with Yogi as soon as he's a bit older (to reduce the chance it might migrate), but they don't require a microchip of all pet owners in the city as a requirement for city registration. Did the ordinance author think or have proof that BYB dogs get lost or loose more often than pet owners? I don't think there is any data indicating this is true. The microchip requirement is moot as far as I'm concerned because we will be doing it as a matter of course, but I wonder why they don't apply this requirement to everyone.
__________________


Meet Yogi, CGC and CGCA, on his way to great things! http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/...tion-yogi.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
solinvictus's Avatar
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,722
Images: 4
Thanks: 1,373
Thanked 2,958 Times in 1,356 Posts
"also imposes an additional requirement because Intact Animal owners must also pay to microchip the animal before they can receive the permit................ but they don't require a microchip of all pet owners in the city as a requirement for city registration."

If their intent was to make sure that the dogs get back to their owners ALL dogs would have that requirement not just the intact ones. Again, this is for them to punish owners of intact dogs not for the safety of the dogs. Very sad to do it this way. Amazing how they really only want to monitor those with the intact pets.

" Did the ordinance author think or have proof that BYB dogs get lost or loose more often than pet owners?"

These ordinances are put in place (authored) by a group of people and usually are put out to the public for review and suggestions before they become actual city ordinances but most normal pet owners don't understand the true nature of some of things put into the ordinances and why. The major amount of people getting the pets go through the shelters or rescues and the dogs are already spayed and neutered before ownership so they do not even notice these ordinances.
__________________
Helie and Luke


Sol Invictus

A Dog Is A Life Time Commitment
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solinvictus For This Useful Post:
Dallas Gold (01-17-2013)
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 AM
Deber's Avatar
Kye & Coops Mom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas
Posts: 4,448
Thanks: 6,342
Thanked 3,150 Times in 2,073 Posts
Our wonderful citiies! Honestly I would just do as you planned and not follow any of these crazy orders. My cities has them too, and know when I moved here with my show breed (no pups but dogs were intact) I went to clear each with the city. I had every base covered, proof of showing, microchips, shot records etc. The lady at Animal control didn't even know about the rules, said just go home and keep doing what we were. She said the only time they would be involved was if the dogs posed a barking problem that bothered neighbors! I asked for a form on city letterhead to confirm my actions and she said there wasn"t one! So now I keep all my records neatly in my files, my dogs are strictly monitored and I have never purchased our yearly dog registration after that. Goofy city who hasnt enough personel to handle the problems we have let alone monitor all the rules they don't know about!

I would just wait for Yogi neuter and then register him with your city, unless you really want to take the class if you honestly think your city would get you if you don't. My town has lost my respect for animal control and I honestly don't know where our monies are going in this regard. I just try my hardest to be an excellent neighbor and privately cover all my bases if anyone should ever come by. My records are neatly kept and easily pulled out if needed. Just sad when people try and are put against such stupidity, when others don't do anything and are allowed to keep animals in a less desireable way.

I really applaude you for trying to follow the rules. Shame when the people who are representatives of the very rules you are trying to follow are ignorant of the laws of which they are supposeto be enforcing.
__________________
Deb & My Golden Kids
Kye & Coop - the loves of my life
My little Biewer Yorkies - all 7 of them!
Sadie & Okey - my mini aussies

I want to surround myself with people who are "Cracked" for they are the ones that let the Sun Shine in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deber For This Useful Post:
Dallas Gold (01-17-2013)
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 AM
dborgers's Avatar
Rudy's Lucky Dad

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 7,181
Images: 1
Thanks: 15,697
Thanked 18,214 Times in 5,933 Posts
With the tens of thousands of dogs who end up on the streets and euthanized every year in major cities because of a lack of neutering I can understand the intent of the regulations. Sounds like the city council who enacted the ordinance needed to ensure the employees tasked with carrying it out were properly informed and trained.

A call to the TV reporter should get them to get things straightened out in that regard.
__________________

Rudy's Gotcha Day is February 1st, 2014 ANDY - You'll never be forgotten sweet boy

******* Andy was proof Canine Lymphoma Can Be Beaten! - Have Hope *******

Tennessee Valley Golden Retriever Rescue ------------- Andy's Canine Lymphoma Thread
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dborgers For This Useful Post:
Dallas Gold (01-17-2013)
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 AM
Dallas Gold's Avatar
Toby & Yogi's Mom
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20,894
Images: 13
Thanks: 15,723
Thanked 18,481 Times in 8,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deber View Post
Our wonderful citiies! Honestly I would just do as you planned and not follow any of these crazy orders. My cities has them too, and know when I moved here with my show breed (no pups but dogs were intact) I went to clear each with the city. I had every base covered, proof of showing, microchips, shot records etc. The lady at Animal control didn't even know about the rules, said just go home and keep doing what we were. She said the only time they would be involved was if the dogs posed a barking problem that bothered neighbors! I asked for a form on city letterhead to confirm my actions and she said there wasn"t one! So now I keep all my records neatly in my files, my dogs are strictly monitored and I have never purchased our yearly dog registration after that. Goofy city who hasnt enough personel to handle the problems we have let alone monitor all the rules they don't know about!

I would just wait for Yogi neuter and then register him with your city, unless you really want to take the class if you honestly think your city would get you if you don't. My town has lost my respect for animal control and I honestly don't know where our monies are going in this regard. I just try my hardest to be an excellent neighbor and privately cover all my bases if anyone should ever come by. My records are neatly kept and easily pulled out if needed. Just sad when people try and are put against such stupidity, when others don't do anything and are allowed to keep animals in a less desireable way.

I really applaude you for trying to follow the rules. Shame when the people who are representatives of the very rules you are trying to follow are ignorant of the laws of which they are supposeto be enforcing.
Deb, unfortunately Dallas Animal Services is now computerized (gasp! ) and they have partnerships with all the local city vet clinics to take care of the city registration automatically when you get the rabies vaccination, plus the clinics also do the city registrations if you take your pets in for the annual exams in those in-between years of the rabies vaccinations. Then at the end of the month the vet clinics upload everything to the city and it gets on their records. I actually asked the staff, who handle this, if we could just not register Yogi when we get his rabies vaccine, and she said we could probably do that; however, since the rabies tag information gets uploaded to the city they will have a record of him anyway, then send me notices to register or face fines. I know that works because they kept on sending me notices about our dearly departed Barkley despite the fact our clinic (and I) notified them in writing that he was deceased! So I am pretty sure I can't just ignore the city registration requirements. This is one case I wish they weren't yet in the computer age.

Funny, they can harass owners for registration, yet if you report a stray dog- the response time is up to 45 days.

Sometimes I feel as though the inmates are running the city asylum!
__________________


Meet Yogi, CGC and CGCA, on his way to great things! http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/...tion-yogi.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas Gold For This Useful Post:
Deber (01-18-2013)
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Sunrise's Avatar
where the tails wag
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,676
Images: 51
Thanks: 7,840
Thanked 8,205 Times in 3,777 Posts
The effects of unintended consequences in action <sigh>. I am sure the original ordinance drafters had good intentions but did not think things through for actual impact.
__________________

Sharon with her golden crew Faelan, Towhee and Brady

Running on silent paws beside me now and forever King , Rowdy and Casey

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunrise For This Useful Post:
Dallas Gold (01-17-2013)
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
cubbysan's Avatar
Preeminent Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lee's Summit, MO (formally Franklin, MA)
Posts: 11,561
Thanks: 3,639
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Gold View Post
Deb, unfortunately Dallas Animal Services is now computerized (gasp! ) and they have partnerships with all the local city vet clinics to take care of the city registration automatically when you get the rabies vaccination, plus the clinics also do the city registrations if you take your pets in for the annual exams in those in-between years of the rabies vaccinations. Then at the end of the month the vet clinics upload everything to the city and it gets on their records. I actually asked the staff, who handle this, if we could just not register Yogi when we get his rabies vaccine, and she said we could probably do that; however, since the rabies tag information gets uploaded to the city they will have a record of him anyway, then send me notices to register or face fines. I know that works because they kept on sending me notices about our dearly departed Barkley despite the fact our clinic (and I) notified them in writing that he was deceased! So I am pretty sure I can't just ignore the city registration requirements. This is one case I wish they weren't yet in the computer age.

Funny, they can harass owners for registration, yet if you report a stray dog- the response time is up to 45 days.

Sometimes I feel as though the inmates are running the city asylum!
How much is the fine? I know in the past I had been late reregistering previous dogs, and the fines were only an extra ten dollars. Maybe it can by you more time.
__________________
Marie, Brady, MacKenzie and Sailor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cubbysan For This Useful Post:
Dallas Gold (01-17-2013)
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
CAROLINA MOM's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NC Coast
Posts: 21,956
Thanks: 19,739
Thanked 13,427 Times in 9,070 Posts
Unfortunately we deal with employees/staff like this a lot in my area, sad isn't it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CAROLINA MOM For This Useful Post:
Dallas Gold (01-17-2013)
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 747
Thanked 891 Times in 735 Posts
Anne -

I do not think my vet uploads to the city.....so if you were interested you could probably call them and explain the situation and maybe just get the rabies shot there....just a thought. The rabies shot at my vet is just the 1 year not the 3 year.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belle's Mom For This Useful Post:
Dallas Gold (01-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
Golden Retriever Forum .com
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69