Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Thoughts on EveningStar Kennels?

21K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  aznkorboi 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience or thoughts on EveningStar Kennels? I've seen a couple mixed reviews online. Looking to add a golden puppy to the family.

#3 ·
Just wondering how you're searching for a breeder as it seems like you're coming up with a slew of less than desirable kennels. Have you contacted your local GR Club for a referral and I've seen on other threads you've been provided good leads on reputable breeders--please don't fall for the slick marketing that's lacking any substance behind it.

#5 ·
I have been searching online for breeders in my area. While I've owned goldens my whole life, I'm very new at understanding the terms breeders use and what the health clearances mean. The only two I've seen people recommend to me so far are Sunbeam and Autumnwind. I will certainly look into these, but I can't imagine these are the only 2 responsible breeders in all of so cal. I did contact my local gr club and I received a form letter back, and all it said was they were not aware of any litters at this time, and that they would not recommend a breeder only a litter. I hope it's not a problem for me to ask about individual breeders on this forum....I thought that getting advice and feedback from others was what this forum was about.

#6 · (Edited)
Seriously, you've been around here long enough to know that there is more to being a reputable member than just being a member of the GR club (which anyone can be). I realize you're more than happy with your pup that was a result of someone's pets having a litter but it appears the OP is interested (or at least open) to finding a reputable breeder--how about you show a little support.

#13 ·
For one thing, they fake clearances. I'm sitting here looking at two of them as I type this. A purported exam date on one is a year before the dog was actually born. On another they list a male dog as female, and it is obviously someone else's clearance that was altered. They may even fake pedigrees. Wouldn't surprise me.

For another, the puppies are often diseased when they come home. The times I have been there, the grounds have been filthy, and I feel sorry for the dogs used for breeding, kept in the conditions they are. Notably, they don't let people see where the parents are kept. The puppies are poorly bred and are not properly socialized. They usually have multiple litters at once. Once, she brought out two litters and mixed them together, then returned them to the same pen. They were unmarked. I have no idea if she has some way of telling them apart, or if she even cares.

I'd love to say more, but that should be enough.

#16 ·
Here is that exact same form, altered to make it look like it was for another dog. Note that the dog is male, but they didn't bother to change the bubble that says the dog is female. Compare the two and see that they are alterations of the same exam.

By the way, the dog's name on this form isn't even the dog's actual registered name.

EDITED: Image removed because it contains personally identifying information. Again, happy to show you in person.

#22 ·
I did not take that as a joke... It is called sarcastism which we know you have plenty of!!

Reactions: SheetsSM
#25 ·
As someone new to this search and to the forum I appreciate those who are trying to save heartache down the line. Sarcasm doesn't really help. I can understand why seeing your friends with a dog that is 15 gives evidence that they did something right but I don't see why saying "jokes on the dog" helps anything. You could just simply say, "I understand your concern but on the flip side I do know of someone that has a dog etc, etc...." It was as if you are just baiting to cause up trouble.

#28 ·
Yes you are new and welcome. But if you knew the history you would know that my posts are not the only ones that seem to come off as sarcastic. :) And believe me I would never want ANYONE to go thru heartache such as we did and that is why I am upfront and honest. I don't think it is right to blow off a possible good rep breeder in the op's area because of mine or anyone else's personal experience. That is why I told the op to check them out. The op is correct that there are many rep breeders out there in her area that are not recommended on this site.

#26 ·
While there are always a few contrarians who will say the grass is blue and the sky is green, there is a ton of great detailed information about finding a responsible breeder on the forum that PointGold posted as a sticky. Make sure, whatever litter you choose, you can verify solid clearances for hip, elbow, heart, and eyes on Orthopedic Foundation for Animals, hopefully for several generations. K9DATA.COM Home Page can also be informative for doing your own research.

#30 ·
Even if these breeders are not close enough, they will still be A+ networking.

Aubridge Goldens

Robin E. Baker
Sacramento, CA USA
aubridge@earthlink.net
home.earthlink.net/~aubridge/

Premiere Golden Retrievers

Christine Texter
Redlands, CA USA
premieregr@verizon.net
premieregoldenretrievers.com

Forum Goldens
Michael & Michele Leon Michael H. Faulkner (M Faulkner is a judge).
Riverside, CA USA 92504
mgranger@pacbell.net
www.simplesite.com/ForumGoldenRetrievers
951/780-0849

Birnam Wood
Sylvia Donahey
Cotati, CA USA
sylvia@birnamwood.com
www.birnamwood.com

Emberain Golden Retrievers

Ed & Edwina Ryska
Petaluma, CA USA
Ed_Ryska@msn.com
www.emberain.com
707-664-1344

Reactions: LJack
#32 ·
If you are interested in ANY breeder and their website doesn't have the information you are looking for, email them and ask. There are sites where you can check if the certifications are legitimate, so not sure why someone would try to fake them, but hey, it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

I have also seen a few breeders get ripped apart on this forum and then they (the breeder) comes here and defends themselves and all was OK. It's a chat board, take nothing anyone says as the gospel, do your own research to check what needs to be checked. People have preferences in trainers, breeders, judges, color, sex...

#33 ·
We got a female Golden from Eveningstar (over 10 years ago) and she was a great dog and we never had a problem with her. Never had issues with her joints or cancer. I found the kennel to be very clean and Gaila was very nice and let us sit with the puppies to watch them play and interact with each other before selecting our pup. We spent quite awhile there! After selecting which puppies we were interested in, she let us in her house with them to have some quiet time with each one. She was also available for any questions we had after bringing her home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.