Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Limping in front leg

81K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  Harleysmum 
#1 ·
My 7 year old golden, Molly, is limping terribly. She had been favoring her front right leg, but now she can barely walk on it. I just had her at the vets and they think it might be in her shoulder for she responded when they prodded it. I am going to schedule for xrays this week.

Any idea what could be going on? Molly used to run and jump all the time - my guess is that jumping brought on the injury. Now she yelps in pain and can barely walk up the yard.

#2 ·
It sounds like she could have pulled a muscle. I am surprised that they didnt give you something for her pain. I would keep her on minimum exercise and keep her calm until you can find out what is causing the pain and limping. Good luck

#5 ·
Glad to hear it's not a bone issue... so it's most likely either a pulled muscle or a ligament sprain. It'll take a little time to heal... try to keep her quiet for a little while, minimize jumping and running, and she should be back to her old self. Good luck!!

Julie and Jersey

#6 ·
Glad that it's nothing to do with Molly's bones - hope that it is a sprain and that rest and TLC will soon have her back to herself. Good Luch wishes on their way and hugs for Molly

#7 ·
Molly is down

Molly can barely walk. The meds did nothing for her and now she just lays around and doesn't seem to want to do anything. I feel terrible and don't know what to do. She goes back to the vets on Tuesday and I just hope they find some solution...

#8 ·
limping on front leg

just read about your 7 year old goldie, i've had a similar experience with my three year old boy Joshua. He had intermittent lameness on both of his front legs since he was 6 months old. I've had numerous trips to the vet, and after three different opinions and hundreds of pounds later have found out that he has elbow dysplasia and possible shoulder dysplasia. I have kept Josh on restricted exercise, begun hydrotherapy, and introduced him to accupunture with some amazing results. Josh is no long allowed to bounce around in his usual excited fashion. his progress is remarkable to the extent that he has now begun to enjoy his obdience training. I wouldn,t worry until you have a firm diagnosis, at it may simply be soft tissue injury. wish you both well.

#9 ·
This happened to my American Bulldog. It was in her shoulder, and first vet said it was a pulled muscle. After months took her to another vet who did an x-ray. It was bone cancer.

I really hope this is not the case for you!!! They say it usually starts in the shoulders.

Her limping started gradual, but eventually got really bad. Pain med did not help her.

My point is not to scare you, just wanted you to be aware. I feel we could have done more pain management earlier for the poor dog had I known.

Good luck, I hope it is just a sprain!!!

#12 ·
Me too! The xray showed nothing, so I'm hoping it is just a sprain. She's been struggling for about a month now.
Oh I am so sorry about Molly! I also know how frustrating it is to not be able to figure it out. **hugs**

My Teddi goes Thursday for xrays for her 'mystery' lameness. She is not as sore as poor Molly but just as frustrating. I personally am sick at what they might find. I am hoping ours come back "nothing". I actually am praying for a stress fracture or something. Our vet thinks it might be ED and I will just lose my lunch if it is.

Do know soft tissue injuries take a LONG time to heal. It is so hard to keep a dog inactive and so it takes longer to heal. Keep us posted.

#13 ·
His behavior could be a reaction to the Previcox. I am surprised if it was muscles or dysplasia, that he has not had at least some relief. Perhaps they can try another drug and see if his behavior changes, or he is able to get around more.

#14 ·
I took my golden, Jasper, to the vet 2 weeks ago because he wasn't putting any pressure on his left back leg. After x-rays, the vet decided that we were going to treat it as a sore muscle. He has been on an anti-inflamatory for 2 weeks and some days, he won't even get up to eat his food. I spoke with the vet and she said that this is due to limited mobility, and the dog being in pain. I do notice however, some days rae better than others. When his leg starts to feel better, he runs a little bit, and the next day, he is right back to square one. I hope, your dog just has a sore muscle...if it is, it will take a while to heal properly. I also have a border collie, her limp took 6 months to heal! It is a long process! Good luck and hope everything works out!

#15 ·
I know how worried you have to bne. Limping scares the daylights out of me. I ost my 12 1/2 year old Irish Setter to bone cancer, rear leg back on July 9, 1997. He strted limping on Friday, was diagnsed on Monday and I ahd him 10 weeks.

When my 156 month old godlen retriever KayCee started limping on rear leg IO took her to the vet in tears. But she had luxating patella. Surgery fixed it. Fourten months other knee had to operated--but this time I had not gone into a panic when she started to limp. also her littermate brother, Hunter came in one day with limp I got him to et and was strained muscle. Few days on meds and rest and he ws fine.

HOpe you can find out the exact problem so it can be fixed.

#18 ·
It's bone cancer

Molly has bone cancer. I am sick with sadness. The vet did more xrays last night and compared them to the previous week's. All the vets conferred and agreed - it's cancer. They estimate only a few more months for her, but we'll probably put her down this weekend. She is in lots of pain. It just doesn't seem fair that a 7 year old has to end her life so quickly. I took off work today and will spend some quality time with her. My heart is breaking.

#19 ·
Molly has bone cancer. I am sick with sadness. The vet did more xrays last night and compared them to the previous week's. All the vets conferred and agreed - it's cancer. They estimate only a few more months for her, but we'll probably put her down this weekend. She is in lots of pain. It just doesn't seem fair that a 7 year old has to end her life so quickly. I took off work today and will spend some quality time with her. My heart is breaking.

OMG, I am so so sorry. Please know that you will have alot of support here and people who have experienced the same or similar. We will be here as a shoulder to lean / cry on and ears to listen. Please give your sweet Molly a hug and ear scratch from us. I will light a candle for you and Molly and you both will be in my prayers. God bless.http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=GRF

#20 ·
Is there a lump or swelling? Does it feel warm on the shoulder or elbow...if it does that's inflammation.......I would ice it...as funny as that sounds ...you could try a bag of frozen peas or and ice pack.
I would massage above the area of concern...direct the blood towards the heart..for circulation reasons. Don't massage below the area that could bring more fluid to the inflammation site. If it is a strained muscle or sprained ligament..it does take time to heel....minimal exercise than apply ice after.

#22 ·
So sorry to hear of Molly's diagnosis. My heart goes out to you, but i know that you will know when the time is right.

Sending you hugs and best wishes.

#24 ·
Thanks, everyone. I spent the day with her and will be putting her to sleep tonight. She is in so much pain and just cried and cried this morning. I can't have her suffer like this. We had a great day together, she gave me lots of kisses and I gave her tons as well! Tonight will not be easy.

#25 ·
Thanks, everyone. I spent the day with her and will be putting her to sleep tonight. She is in so much pain and just cried and cried this morning. I can't have her suffer like this. We had a great day together, she gave me lots of kisses and I gave her tons as well! Tonight will not be easy.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Remember that you are doing the most unselfish, loving act imaginable for her. Give her a hug and kiss from us. Godspeed sweet girl. We'll always be here if you need a shoulder to cry on.

#27 ·
I am so sorry for you and your family! My family's beloved English Springer Spaniel was lost to bone cancer in February. I am away at college so I didn't get to say goodbye to him, he was my buddy because I picked him out when I was younger, he was 13 years old ... my parents said it was so sad because he suddenly went downhill really fast and he couldn't walk (they had to carry him outside to go to the bathroom). The vet put him on pain medicine and they said it was so sad because he cried all the time. I still miss him a lot.

#28 ·
Thanks for everyone's support. Molly is now in peace. We had her put to sleep this evening and while it was terribly sad, I am happy that she is no longer in pain. She lived a good seven years and was a wonderful friend and family member. I will miss her always.

#30 ·
Thanks for everyone's support. Molly is now in peace. We had her put to sleep this evening and while it was terribly sad, I am happy that she is no longer in pain. She lived a good seven years and was a wonderful friend and family member. I will miss her always.
I am so so sorry for your loss. You gave her the most important gift.... relief from pain and suffering. Seven years is way to short a time, but treasure your sweet memories. We'll be here for support 24/7 if you need us.

#29 ·
I'm so sorry of your loss. At least she isn't in pain anymore even though she was too young. We put our Sierra to rest on March 11th due to melanoma cancer, so I know what you are feeling. I'm wishing you peace and comfort during this time. Remember all of the good times she gave you and also what you did for her. One day you'll meet again. Run free sweet Molly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.