1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  ScottyUSN 
#1 ·
Emma the Lab and Patches the Border Collie

Emma

Duck retriever!

Patches

See less See more
#7 ·
Your Black lab looks like the proper breed representation that I imagine when I think of a lab. Then I see the shorter stockier labs in the ring? Is it more purpose breeding, or has this shifted in the last 20 or so years?

I grew up with black labs in the extended family. They where both very sweet, but very mischievous trouble makers if given enough free time.

#15 ·
There is always such a debate about this on the Labrador forum I am on. I too am not a fan at all of what the bench bred Labs look like today.
I have seen pictures of past winners in the 1930's that are what I think of when I picture a Lab.

Ch.Bridget of Harpotts b. 1931

Click here to view the original image of 720x496px.

Mrs.P.G.A.Harvey's Ch.Abbess of Harpotts

Click here to view the original image of 720x506px.

Ch + F.T.Ch. Banchory Painter

Click here to view the original image of 720x492px.

Ch.Badgery Richard

Click here to view the original image of 720x581px.

Ch.Whatstandwell Coronet b 1951
IMO the Labs in the show ring are not of standard, but it is becoming more and more the "standard" and the judges allow it.
I do not think those Labs could ever last as long as our Emma in the field without needing a break.
However I have never laid my hands on these show dogs nor ever seen them work in the field.
There is one breeder on the forum I am on who continues with the "old time" Labs. I would love to get one of her pups.
There really is almost two different breeds inside the one breed. You have Field/American and Bench/English.

#18 ·
Yep we plan to take Hawkeye out and start training with him. Emma retrieves Dove, Duck, and Pheasant.
Actually when we were looking for a pup my bf said he wanted either a Golden or a Lab. I was saying Golden, but then he decided he didn't want to come home from hunts with a dog full of stickers. LOL

#10 ·
Emma and Patches

Emma and Patches are just beautiful.
In addition to our adopted 4 year old Male, Golden Retriever, Tucker, we have a 3 year old Male, Samoyed,named Tonka!

Attachments

Reactions: dogloverforlife
#14 ·
Karen, I'm always so jealous of your doggies swimming in the pool! Both of my boys would have loved a pool to swim in!(Even though they had a lake at their disposal all summer!)

Reactions: Karen519
#17 ·
Fozziemom

FozzieMom

I am so sorry, I never would want to make anyone jealous!
Just so you know, you are invited anytime!!
Just email me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.