Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What can I do..

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Sweet Girl 
#1 ·
My kids do not understand that I love them more than anything. They do not get that my only concern now is my dog girls. They all have there life and a good one and I am happy for that. My grandkids have a great life and so do my kids. They resent me for worrying about my dog girls. My girls do not have a choice what happens to them if something happens to me. I just want to know how to make sure they are ok if I die. I love them and they deserve that consideration. They are my life and I owe them that. What can I do to make sure they are cared for if I cannot do that for them. I so want do so what is right for my girls.

#2 ·
My backup plan should I die - my dogs will go to my family.

If by bizarre incident we all pass away, then I have friends (dog related) who I can entrust my dogs.

My thing is that for peace of mind - mine - I will do everything I can to ensure that my dogs will never end up in the hands of people who will not love them as much as I do.

#4 ·
Well I am alone with my girls. My Bess is 8 and has never been around children;. She loves kids. Mia is just a baby. She Would probably be ok with kids. But they have me 24 hours a day . I just do not have anyone yet that I would trust them with. I want to know that they are ok.

#3 ·
Several years ago, I volunteered in the owner relinquishment "department" of a breed-specific rescue (Mid-Atlantic English Springer Spaniel Rescue). I met with a wonderful older couple who were asking those same questions. They were not ready to give their dog up just yet, but wanted to find out about the process in the event they would no longer be able to care for him so that their kids wouldn't need to worry about it.

I'm not necessarily saying you should will your girls to a rescue right this second, but it might be worth talking with someone to find out what that process would look like if you did need to re-home them. The best case scenario would be if you had a friend or a few friends who would be willing to step up should the need arise. If your kids do not want the dogs and would see them as a burden, it would be best to consider other options IMO. It's really good that you're thinking about all of this.

I think all of us, no matter what age we are, should have a will with specific directions of what should happen to our pets. They are our babies.

#5 ·
I think I would be in the same position if I were not friends with a lot of dog people - people with the same values as me when it comes to our dogs.

I personally would never consider shelters or rescues an option at all. I'm over it mostly, but I had a bad interview with the main golden rescue here in MI and don't want them getting their hands on my dogs. Ever. I want to choose exactly what kind of home my dogs are adopted into.

Or at the very least, I would leave it up to people whose judgement and intelligence I trust to find an ideal home for my dogs.

#12 ·
Think outside the box on this one. I have a friend who is about 20 years younger than me. I first met her when she was a young teenager, she has now grown into a fabulous, responsible woman.

Should G-d forbid anything happen to me, she gets Tux (my horse) and Remy (my golden). She's never even met Remy, but I have no reluctance with her having him.

Raggedy will go to a dear friend who's buidling does not allow pets of any kind (not even goldfish, it's on the sign!) - but we sneak Raggedy in there whenever I travel and she is happy and comfortable there.

100% of the proceeds of my estate, after paying for my burial and bills, will be put in a trust for the benefit of my animals for as long as they live. The friends who have the actual babies will be able to write checks up to $10K, anything over that will require 2 signatures (between three executors).

No one in my family would take care of my pets in any manner that I find acceptable. The truth is no one anywhere near me would - my friend who would get Tux and Remy lives in Texas - but I know they will be cared for and loved for the remainder of their lives.

I completely understand your stress over this issue. My family does not understand it either - in fact they thing I'm insane. Therefore they have nothing to worry about - I've taken care of it, and made my wishes VERY clear.

Good luck to you, I know you'll figure it out. (BTW I am by no means of an age where I'm expected to drop anytime now - I am 47, but I believe in being prepared)

#13 ·
Think outside the box on this one. I have a friend who is about 20 years younger than me. I first met her when she was a young teenager, she has now grown into a fabulous, responsible woman.

Should G-d forbid anything happen to me, she gets Tux (my horse) and Remy (my golden). She's never even met Remy, but I have no reluctance with her having him.

Raggedy will go to a dear friend who's buidling does not allow pets of any kind (not even goldfish, it's on the sign!) - but we sneak Raggedy in there whenever I travel and she is happy and comfortable there.

100% of the proceeds of my estate, after paying for my burial and bills, will be put in a trust for the benefit of my animals for as long as they live. The friends who have the actual babies will be able to write checks up to $10K, anything over that will require 2 signatures (between three executors).

No one in my family would take care of my pets in any manner that I find acceptable. The truth is no one anywhere near me would - my friend who would get Tux and Remy lives in Texas - but I know they will be cared for and loved for the remainder of their lives.

I completely understand your stress over this issue. My family does not understand it either - in fact they thing I'm insane. Therefore they have nothing to worry about - I've taken care of it, and made my wishes VERY clear.

Good luck to you, I know you'll figure it out. (BTW I am by no means of an age where I'm expected to drop anytime now - I am 47, but I believe in being prepared)
Well I am almost 60. Health not so good and not so bad. I just pray that I can be here with my girls and they do not have to live without mom. Yes I am planning for them. .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.