Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Hello everyone!

2K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  Rob's GRs 
#1 · (Edited)
First, sorry for the following novel of a post. It has been a very exciting couple of days!

For the last few weeks I have been lurking here, as I've been looking for a golden to adopt within our area. A puppy from a breeder would have been great, but instead I wanted to adopt a puppy from a shelter or rescue. This past Tuesday, I saw a dog on Pet Finder (a Golden/Lab mix) and fell in love with her immediately. I emailed the rescue, and this past Saturday I drove just outside of Orlando, Florida (roughly 3 hours from where we are in Southern GA) to get her.

The rescue she was at does not have their own facility, so she spent the week at a Foster home. They also do not hold any of the dogs for people and only adopt out on weekends. The rescue had an adoption event outside a Petsmart, and a sign up sheet was posted. They suggested I get there early in order to get my name on the list, as the dogs were being adopted on a first come first serve basis. On Saturday, a friend and I got up at 4:30am and were out the door by 5:30. We arrived at the Petsmart at 8:30, and secured the #1 spot on their sign up list when they opened at 9am.

The actual event didn't begin until 1pm, so we had four hours to wait before I could meet her. We spent some time shopping, and afterward went to Chilis for lunch. While talking to our waitress, we found out that the couple directly across from us was #4 on the list.

At 12:30, we made our way back over to the Petsmart. By that time, there were about 15 people on the list. By the time the event started, the Rescue had to write in more numbers as the page was full (30+ signed up). Earlier that day when I had signed up, I had put my choice of puppy in parentheses next to my name. Many others had followed suit, and there were at least ten others who wrote interest in her. However, I was first on the list, and when the event started I had first choice of about fifteen puppies (6 of them were the Golden/Lab litter).

I immediately asked for "Jelly," and they asked me if I knew which one she was (it was pretty chaotic and they had a lot of volunteers working). I pointed her out immediately, they handed her to me, and asked me to take her to the grass to see if I still wanted her after playing/bonding with her. I knew instantly I wanted her, but I spent about 15-20 minutes with her in the grass to see if she wanted me. She was a bit shy at first, but after a few minutes she gave me puppy kisses and curled up against me.

While I was waiting to get the adoption paperwork, many different people/couples came up to see her. Throughout the event, I quickly realized that she was the most wanted puppy of the bunch. One couple in particular asked if I planned on adopting her. I said yes, and instead of giving the other puppies a glance, they left without a word. I felt badly for everyone, especially one little girl who couldn't have been more than 10. By the time she arrived, she was number 25 on the list and all the puppies she had in mind were already claimed. She spent the first 30 minutes of the event crying while she watched her puppies of choice be chosen. However, while I was filling out my adoption paperwork, I saw her walk by with a puppy and a big smile on her face. I broke a lot of hearts when I picked mine, but I truly believe everyone walked away with the puppy they were meant to have.

Two full days have passed since we came home. Lily is doing wonderfully, and a lot of that is thanks to this forum. I've never had my own dog, and this forum has been invaluable. Between Tuesday-Saturday I have researched everything from puppy food to clicker training to crate training and so much more. Reading your past experiences with training your dogs has been such a great help, and I have visited every day since I knew I would be getting a golden.

Now to give some more details and progress on Lily -- She is 11 weeks old, and these past few days have been exhausting, but it has all been worth it. I don't work, so I am home all day and night with her, and have been sleeping in the living room with her (Lily in her crate, me curled up on my chaise). Unfortunately, we don't have room in our bedroom for a crate or else she'd sleep there with us, but I've slept in the room with her the first few nights in order to make her more comfortable. But, if you can believe it, she really hasn't cried. She will whine for about 20-30 seconds when first going into the crate, but she immediately calms down and goes to sleep.

I know a lot of her demeanor has to do with the fact that she is currently sick. They spayed her on Friday. I had no idea, and was expecting to be able to take her to the vet later to get it done around 6 months, but unfortunately they wouldn't adopt any of them out before they were fixed. Not only this, but on the drive home on Saturday I realized (after doing some searching here) that she came home with Kennel Cough. I took her to the vet first thing this morning, and she said that her current antibiotic for the spay should help knock out her cold. She has another appointment on the 15th to get her next round of vaccinations (at 12 weeks) (and then two others at 14 and 16 weeks).

Should everything go well these next few weeks, Lily will be starting puppy class on the 25th (in 3 weeks). I am hoping the KC will clear in a week in order to give her 2 weeks KC free before going to classes. The vet said 10 days free would be enough, but the sooner this clears up the better. If it is cutting it too close, I'll have to cancel her class and reschedule for one of the March classes. I am really hoping I won't have to do that, as I am hoping to get her socializing and training as soon as possible. I've been working with her at home when she feels up to it, but I am really looking forward to the class.

*scrolls up and sees the novel* I should probably wrap things up -- Tonight I am going to attempt sleeping in my own bed and setting alarms in order to let her out halfway through the night and again in the morning. I haven't been sleeping well in the living room and am pretty exhausted, so I really hope she does okay :)

Anyway, I'll leave you guys with some pictures I've taken these past 48 hours, and I'll update you guys soon on how she's doing. Thanks again for all the information, it has been a GREAT help!

While she is a GR/Lab mix, the vet believes she has a bit of collie in her line due to her markings (what do you think?)

While shopping at Petsmart after the adoption:

In the backseat of the car on the way home:

Napping at Home:

See less See more
#2 ·
oh my goodness! She is absolutely adorable!! Im so happy that you got the puppy you wanted. I think its awful that she is sick... it must be hard on the both of you. Im surprised they spayed her so soon!

I can see a little border collie in her, but she is 100 % all cuteness tho!

#13 ·
Awe, she sure is a cutie and I actually like her markings...they give her character. I'm sorry she is sick...I think she is in the best hands possible here, it already sounds like you are head over heels. Thank you for adopting her, I hope you enjoy many many many years together...

#14 ·
Oh, she is a cutie! Welcome to the forum and thank you for rescuing!

Sounds like she is having a tough start, but it sounds like she is in good hands. I also believe we end up with the dog that is meant to be ours.

#19 ·
What a beautiful little girl Lily is. Congratulations on your new addition.

"The vet said 10 days free would be enough, but the sooner this clears up the better. If it is cutting it too close, I'll have to cancel her class and reschedule for one of the March classes."

If she is almost clear by the time the classes start, I would talk to the trainer a day or two in advance and ask if you could attend the first class without her. That way you can be up to date on all the learning and not hold her back for another month.

#22 ·
Glad you adopted a pooch in need. This statement warmed my heart :--heart:

I felt badly for everyone, especially one little girl who couldn't have been more than 10. By the time she arrived, she was number 25 on the list and all the puppies she had in mind were already claimed. She spent the first 30 minutes of the event crying while she watched her puppies of choice be chosen. However, while I was filling out my adoption paperwork, I saw her walk by with a puppy and a big smile on her face. I broke a lot of hearts when I picked mine, but I truly believe everyone walked away with the puppy they were meant to have.

#25 ·
Fingers crossed, but Lily hasn't coughed or sniffled since this morning. The KC usually gives her a bit of a coughing fit after we play, or when she gets excited when we go outside, but this afternoon/evening she didn't cough once.

Going to start counting the 10 days starting tomorrow morning (will stop of course if she coughs) -- really hope this is it! She had a lot more energy today and seemed to be feeling a lot better. Can't wait for the 10 days to be up -- a friend has a puppy and we want to start letting them walk/play together. I think it will be really good for her to have someone to play with. It should be interesting to see in a few months when Lily has grown some more, as the other puppy is a Toy Poodle! lol

Will keep you all updated :)

#28 ·
Congratulations!! Lily is a total muffin!! What beautiful markings!

I am new to this forum too, with my sweet boy who is 13 weeks now, and I am also "at-home". So we should have lots to compare notes about!!

I also wanted to tell you that my last dog (and my only dog before this puppy) was a Lab/Golden cross. Her mom was a purebred Golden and when they were getting ready to breed her, the black Lab down the street hopped the fence! :eek:
She was the perfect mix! She was black, but her fur was longer and softer than a lab's. She was such a good girl! She passed away a year ago at Thanksgiving and was 11 1/2 years old.

Your sweet Lily is a wonderful mix! If she has a little Border Collie in her, then that will just add to the "smart genes"!

We had Riggins (our puppy) in the crate in our room for the first couple weeks, then moved it to the guest room down the hall. We keep both doors open a crack and can hear him perfectly when he starts to whine. He is sleeping from about 11:00-6:15 every night, and then he'll nap by me in the living room after my DH and DS leave for the day. (Smart puppy, he knows Mama likes her sleep! :D)

Anyway... so glad Lily is doing well and starting to feel better! I look forward to hearing more about her!

#29 ·
Aww, thank you so much for telling me about your previous dog. I am so sorry you lost her :(

I really wanted to have her crate in our bedroom initially, but unfortunately we don't have room for one. However, two nights in a row I slept in my own bed with the crate in the living room and she did just fine. She whined for a minute or so, but once she sees the lights going out I think she understands that it is sleepy time, so she curls up and goes to sleep. I've been waking up every 3-4h to let her out and she hasn't had an accident in the crate yet.

Another update on her KC -- No coughs today :) So, I started the 10 day countdown. As long as she doesn't cough by next Saturday, she'll be good to start her puppy class.

Thank you everyone so much for the welcome :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.