Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Anyone familiar with this breeder in Michigan?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Megora 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this breeder in Essexville, Michigan? The website is Wish Upon A Golden Dog - Golden Retrievers - Essexville, Michigan

I have one GR, age about 1 1/2 years and I'm looking for a little brother for her. I was pretty ignorant and bought from a backyard breeder the first time, but I've learned tons of info on this forum and I'd like to make a more informed choice this time around.

I think we got really lucky the first time and we have a wonderful girl, just want to do what is best from here on out.

Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
Not a good idea! They state on their about us page that they are working on health certifications, now, not before they bred the dogs...... Clearances are used to decide if a dog SHOULD be bred, not an afterthought.

#3 ·
Umm...they're using a stud dog with dysplastic hips? And they say he's a "gentle giant" at 85 pounds? Either he's overweight, or he's oversized. There are also no eye or heart clearances listed for him. He may have had his eyes and heart examined at some point, but the clearances are not posted.

One of the bitches, Kenzie, appears to have had multiple litters but has no clearances at all listed on offa.org (I searched with the AKC number they provide on their website). She appears to have just had a litter about two weeks ago.

Another bitch listed on the website as having had at least one litter, Riley, also has no clearances on offa.org. They also discuss Riley as being close to her due date in the last week or so.

So the two litters due in the last few weeks were both sired by a dog who was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia in 2009!

So, in short, I would never, ever recommend this place. They may be nice, well-intentioned folks who love dogs, but they are doing things exactly as a backyard breeder does. They use one stud dog simply because he's fertile. He's the one dog they seem to have clearances on, and he failed! And they keep several bitches around so they can produce litters. Their asking price is $700. For $500-$700 more, you can get a dog from an excellent clearance history, with proven parents and ancestors, a dog who is at much lower risk for expensive, debilitating health problems down the road.

I would not EVER purchase from this kind of operation. Breeding one unproven stud dog to each of your unproven bitches is a deal breaker. Breeding a dog with dysplastic hips is a deal breaker. Breeding uncleared dogs is a deal breaker. Any one of those things on its own should make you walk away. All together, they should make you run.

#5 ·
Umm...they're using a stud dog with dysplastic hips? And they say he's a "gentle giant" at 85 pounds? Either he's overweight, or he's oversized. There are also no eye or heart clearances listed for him. He may have had his eyes and heart examined at some point, but the clearances are not posted.

(content removed)

I would not EVER purchase from this kind of operation. Breeding one unproven stud dog to each of your unproven bitches is a deal breaker. Breeding a dog with dysplastic hips is a deal breaker. Breeding uncleared dogs is a deal breaker. Any one of those things on its own should make you walk away. All together, they should make you run.
OMG!!!!! Tippy I did not even check OFFA since they claimed to be working on clearances. Breeding a dysplastic dog?

#4 · (Edited)
Wow. They don't even try to hide the fact that they don't have clearances.

$700 generally won't get you a puppy from a reputable breeder.

Non-refundable deposit.

They allow you to pick your puppy at 4 weeks. That's way too soon, and I would argue that it's better for the breeder to pick anyway.

I see no evidence that they compete with their dogs in any way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
We are looking for a family pet and GR for pet therapy at nursing homes/hospitals/schools. We're not elderly but :) our kids are grown and while we like to walk/hike/ boat, we also will enjoy having our canine family take a nap now and then. We have a female GR and think she'd enjoy a companion...thinking male might be best choice, but not sure.

I don't intend to do performance events, but would like a GR well socialized from the very beginning, thinking that might help with eventually getting CGC and therapy certification. Our girl now is our first and she has such excitement when she meets people that I don't know if she will ever calm enough to be a therapy dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#10 ·
@ Mom of Maizie

The Michigan breeders I would personally recommend are Topmast (Gaylan's Cobreeder), Glenbrier and Wynwood. All breed for performance. If you let them know what you are looking for in puppy they can guide you to the right breeding and a dog that would be a perfect fit for your family and also be a therapy dog. If none of them have a breeding that would fit your needs they will surely be able to recommend other breeders that would. I have seen Kokopelli bred dogs (Breeder: Monica McGee) and I think all have been super nice. Malagold has nice dogs but they are pretty low drive and energy - Connie would be a good resource also.

#11 ·
While Topmast, Glenbrier and Wynwood are GREAT (I know all three breeders (the human) personally) breeders and would be wonderful for a person looking for a performance dog, these dogs need a job. They will not be a happy with a weekend hike and walks during the week.

Any well-bred Golden can more than keep up even with relatively active people.

Reactions: Mom of Maizie
#13 ·
Actually, I learned about the breeder I asked about by following information about the Comfort Dogs on Facebook. Two of the Lutheran Church Comfort Dogs have come from the breeder I asked about...I was willing to check it out further because a puppy with a personality to be a therapy dog is what I was looking for. In reality it would be a lot more convenient to find a breeder closer to where I live.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.