Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Hello from Las Vegas

790 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  FeatherRiverSam 
#1 ·
Hello All!

My name is John and my wife and I are expecting to bring home our first Golden Retriever puppy in a few weeks. Although I have never owned one, I have wanted one since I was a 10 year old kid. Now that I'm an adult, my day has finally come!

We will drive to Southern California to pick up our puppy, and then we will make the trek back home. Can anyone recommend the best method of transporting the 9 week old puppy for 4-5 hours in the car?

I look forward to joining your community, as well as meeting other owners.

Thank you!

-John Condemi
Las Vegas, NV

#4 ·
We've held them in our laps. They mostly sleep. We stopped every hour to let them out to pee. Keep a towel in your lap in case they get car sick. At that age they sleep a lot. Since it isn't a long trip, don't give any food or water. Put a collar on the pup and bring a leash, in case you stop to let them out and people or cars are around. It's a great bondin experience. They learn pretty fast they can trust you.

Have a great time with your new pup!

#5 ·
Thank you guys for the good advice. I will keep that in mind when driving home.

Pictures to come!

#6 ·
Welcome from Georgia :wavey: John and soon new pup. Transporting home will be a breeze and you have a couple of great suggestions.

Challenge will be the next year raising puppy. Crate train and be patient with pup.

You have made a wise decision on choosing a Golden Retriever as your pooch.

Al

#10 ·
What a friendly bunch of people!

Yes, photography is one of my pastimes anyway, so I will be sure to take some good photos of the little boy once he is home. Of course he will need to figure out who the strange new people are who took him away from him momma.

I hope he he won't resent us for it! :eek:

Reactions: AlanK
#12 ·
Well I hope Goldens like sunshine and hot summers, because we have plenty of that here in Vegas. I think a create is going to be our best bet for the drive home.

Thanks for the help :)

#13 ·
It would be a good idea to take something from his / her litter box like a towel, small blanket or even a toy to help settle him / her down a bit. Many breeders will often provide something like this for you.

And welcome to the forum...your photography hobbie will come in handy...we demand pictures, lots of pictures.;)

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.