Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Rectal Adenocarcinoma mass removal surgery is over, Cooper is home safe and sound

3K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  the S team 
#1 ·
I picked Cooper up from his overnight stay an hour ago. He came charging out of the room, tail wagging and a huge grin on his face. Hie e-collar preventing him from running right into the wall!

To look at him, you would never know he just had rectal surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. The car ride home was uneventful and he was able to get in and out of the car himself.

His bottom is red and angry looking, but not as bad as I had pictured in my mind. He is so sleepy and is crashed out right now on the floor. Thank you all so much for your prayers. The next step is waiting for the biopsy results, until then just lots of loving. Here is the link, if it works to my album to show you what you might be able to expect if you have a Golden that might go through this.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/members/28457-drmerwoman-albums3210-post-surgery.html

#11 ·
Happy to hear Cooper is home. Hope he has an uneventful recovery and you receive good results.

#12 ·
@Hubbub,
They do look very much alike. He is home and so sleepy. The car ride was great and I haven't even put on his ecollar yet. I am just sitting nearby. He is such a good boy. He is taking his oral pain med ( Tramadol 100mg) and it seems to be helping. He didn't have an epidural like Hannah.
He is eating, drinking and peeing, but hasn't had a bowel movement yet. I personally am dreading that! Thanks for your thoughts!

#15 ·
Drmerwoman

So glad that Cooper is home with you!! Don't be surprised if it takes a few days before the bowel movement. Did they tell you how to manage the pain when he has one? Is it like when a human has hemorrhoid surgery?

#19 ·
Hi Karen, thanks for checking in on Cooper! As the Vet suggested we put him in our master bathroom at night to try to keep him off the carpet, but within five minutes he was crying. I thought he had to use the bathroom or maybe he was in pain, but no, he just wanted to be closer to his mom and dad. He spent the night in his usual spot at the foot of our bed. He slept with his E-collar on and I didn't hear him try to scoot at all.

He is doing so much better than I imagined he would. He made it through the night on the Tramadol pain free. He is eating and has had one bowel movement so far. :)

#21 ·
That is sweet he wanted to be close to his mom and dad!

I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Reactions: Karen519
#22 ·
Thank you for sharing your story. Even though everyones journey is a little different you will help a lot of people now and in the future. The unknowns are the scariest part.

I'm so glad that the surgery went well and that he seems to be handling it like a trooper:D He really needs his peeps right now so I am not surprised that he wanted his usual spot. When my girl was ill I put sheets all over the carpet. it looked like we were doing some painting but it was worth it to have her feeling as comfy as possible with us.

I hope that you all feel stronger and stronger each day. He's a lucky boy to have such a caring family.

#24 ·
Trying to stay optimistic

Cooper's regular vet called and told us that the surgeon couldn't get the advised 2cm all around measurement they like to remove around the tumor. Apparently, it extended a bit farther than he anticipated into the anus and there is only so much you can cut away.:no:

This is what I was worried about from the start, putting him through pain for nothing and the end result still being awful.

What does make it a little more tolerable is that he isn't suffering as much as I thought he would have from the surgery. We actually just got back from a fairly decent walk and he was wagging his tail and smiling the whole time.

I guess all we can do now is cross our fingers while we await the biopsy results. At least I know we gave him a shot at a chance.......:crossfing

#25 ·
Amazing

Cooper's regular vet called and told us that the surgeon couldn't get the advised 2cm all around measurement they like to remove around the tumor. Apparently, it extended a bit farther than he anticipated into the anus and there is only so much you can cut away.:no:

This is what I was worried about from the start, putting him through pain for nothing and the end result still being awful.

What does make it a little more tolerable is that he isn't suffering as much as I thought he would have from the surgery. We actually just got back from a fairly decent walk and he was wagging his tail and smiling the whole time.

I guess all we can do now is cross our fingers while we await the biopsy results. At least I know we gave him a shot at a chance.......:crossfing
I think it is amazing that he took a walk and that is wonderful that he doesn't see to be in pain!! Take it one hour, one day at a time - praying for Cooper!

#26 ·
Biopsy results are back.

As stated on the report we received this morning.
Confirmed to be an Apocrine gland adenocarcinoma of the anal gland sac.

"This lesion has been completely excised, but specimen margins are less
than 1 mm. Definitive microvascular invasion was not noted
histologically."

Although the margin is VERY narrow, we think we gave him the best chance of survival possible. Thank goodness for the thorough routing exam two weeks ago. With such small margins, there wasn't anytime to waste.

Keep Cooper in your prayers. All we can do now is wait to see if any symptoms arise from any possible micro mets. Until then we're just going to spoil him. As a matter of fact, we just reserved some rooms in Cannon Beach, along the Oregon coast!! The city has very loose leash laws and his absolute favorite thing to do is frolic in the water and roll around in the wet sand.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.