Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

ringworm :(

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Yuki 
#1 ·
i have a ringworm infection on my arm :( my question is:

can a dog get ringworm infection from human? :confused:

i dont want Yuki to get infected and i am taking measures to stay away from him so i dont infect him. i am very worried right now.

#2 ·
:( I know you can get ringworm from your dog or cat, so I suppose your dog or cat could get it from you. I'm surprised that the doctor didn't suggest you got it from Yuki to begin with. It's somewhat opportunistic - a healthy animal is less likely to get it. I fostered a litter of four kittens a few years ago. One of them came down with it. The other three never did, and neither did any one in my house. Unfortunately, my house was basically a giant biohazard. My vet said I shouldn't bring any more animals into the house for at least six months after the kittens were gone. I waited a year.

#8 ·
i spoke with the vet as soon as i could get him, the vet said dogs cant get ringworm from humans cuz its specie specific.

i am still worried so i am doing my best to get well soon and keeping yuki away from me as a precaution. my cousin is looking after yuki until i m clear.

i put bandages on the spots and am wearing full sleeves shirt and pant. another precaution i took.

i did laundry and cleaned the house too. no matter what i do i am still worried about yuki. :( my mind is not at ease.

#9 ·
Yuki

Your vet I'm sure knows what he is talking about, but keeping long sleeves on is a good idea. I think Yuki will be fine.

Where is the kitty that gave it to you and ask the vet if he/she should be treated?

Reactions: SheetsSM
#12 ·
Your vet I'm sure knows what he is talking about, but keeping long sleeves on is a good idea. I think Yuki will be fine.

Where is the kitty that gave it to you and ask the vet if he/she should be treated?
i quarantined the little kitten in his crate. i will go to the vet tomorrow for the kitten's check up. i dont want Yuki to get in contact with the kitten-another precaution i took.

PS: i got the ringworm infection from the kitten on the day i got him, he was pretty unclean i must say. right now the kitten is "clean", bathed, ears cleaned, well kept, well fed etc. i got scratched several times by him after i cleaned him but no signs of ringworm near those scratches.

the first scratch i got from him on the day i got him was where i got ringworm spot first, i didnt notice it and now i have several spots on my body!! :doh: :doh:

my conclusion: beware of unclean cats/kittens, if they scratch, you may get ringworm! :uhoh:

#14 ·
I suggest meeting with your vet and also doing some research. Also warn the vet that you are bringing in a kitten that potentially has ringworm.

Ringworm can be no big deal or a giant mess. Once the litter I was fostering had ringworm, the shelter basically refused to take them back from me. They wanted me to keep them for the duration of treatment, which could be *months.* Meanwhile, three unaffected kittens were quickly outgrowing the cute adoptable stage, while one kitten very, very slowly recovered from one dime-sized spot. And - I couldn't let any small children or immune compromised people in my house. Wow, that's a fun conversation to have with your guests. I worried for weeks about one friend that came over and then went back home to play with her 19-year-old cat in kidney failure. It's not really about clean/unclean, though a less healthy kitten will be more susceptible. It's about those spores that are everywhere, live forever, and are impossible to kill on soft surfaces. I need to go distress from the memory now...

#17 ·
i am taking anti fungal pills orally, using an anti fungal shampoo head to toe (thought it would help lol) and applying antifungal cream on the spots with a bandage on top.

i have developed ringworm spots at random places :( 1 on each-ear, forehead, neck, wrist (this was the first one where i got scratched) and tummy. i have 2 more on left arm, just saw them now. :doh:

the rings are tiny, bumpy and reddish. and yes they are ugly. one thing i noticed was the ring size is different from the ringworm humans usually get. my mom once had a single ringworm spot and the ring was bigger about 1/2-3/4 inch diameter. the ones i have are way smaller compared to that 1/4 inch diameter.

#18 ·
just came back from the vet. my kitten is ringworm-free. so i didnt get it from him-the vet said. the vet also said Yuki can play with the kitten since they are both healthy, de wormed and vaccinated. no problems at all. :)

the vet asked me if i came into contact with other cats/kittens. yes, i did come into contact with a litter of kittens where i went chose my kitten and his little brother scratched me and ran away. so the carrier of ringworm is not my kitten it was another kitten from the same litter. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.