Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Michigan Winter Dog Classic Dog Shows

903 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  CStrong73 
#1 ·
I hope my back is in good enough shape by the weekend..I want to do this!!!!

Your Dog Can be
Part of the Action!

Michigan Winter Dog Classic
Dog Shows
My Dog Can Do that!
January 19th–20th

Suburban Collection Showplace
46100 Grand River Ave.
Novi, MI

No pre-registration required

Don't just watch the action this year at the Michigan Winter Dog Classic Dog Shows. Become part of it!
Bring your dog and let them try the fun sport of Agility! For the first time, the shows will feature the AKC's My Dog Can Do That! attraction from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 19 and Sunday, January 20.

Professional trainers and top competitors will show you how to get your dog started in agility and help them try a few agility obstacles — plus give you some helpful obedience tips. They also will have information on local dog training classes.
It is free to participate in My Dog Can Do That!. No pre-registration is required — just drop by any time between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and sign up at the My Dog Can Do That! ring. Participating dogs must be on a 4-to-6 foot leash (No Flexi-leads or prong collars), be at least 6 months old and have proof of rabies vaccination.

Show admission is $10 per adult, $8 for children 7–12 and seniors, and free for children 6 and under. The family plan cost is $35 for two adults and three children. Participants for My Dog Can Do That! must enter through the back door/exhibitor entrance. More information is available at Michigan Winter Dog Classic

The American Kennel Club® will also offer all participants a discounted enrollment in the AKC Canine PartnersSM program. This program is for ALL dogs, including mixed-breeds, and allows them to list with AKC® and compete in many events, including agility, obedience and rally.
Everyone who enrolls their dog in the AKC Canine Partners program that day will receive a t-shirt and a 1-year subscription to AKC Family Dog magazine and their dog will receive a bandana, an official AKC certificate and be eligible for a lifetime of fun in AKC events!
For more information on My Dog Can Do That! or AKC Canine Partners, click here – or email akccaninepartners@akc.org or call 919-816-3749.

Michigan Winter Dog Classic

See less See more
#10 ·
Well, we went!
We tried taking Rocket in. But as I suspected, with all the dogs, people, kids and food, he was a bit over excited. Had I been there alone, I might have stayed longer and tried to walk him around and eventually make it to the "My Dog Can Do That" ring.

As it was, with my attention divided between dog and two kids, we brought him in and stayed just inside the door by the agility ring. We let him meet a few other dogs and people, watched a couple agility runs, then took him back to the car. We didn't want to risk distracting or upsetting any of the competitors with our rambunctious pup. :) Obviously, I need to start moving our training sessions to busier locations. He's spot on at home, but had trouble with his down stays in class Saturday, and was WAY too hyper at the show. LOL! (Although we did get lots of compliments on him and people checking him out and asking about his breeder in the short time we were there.)

Then the girls and I watched some duck herding, checked out all the dogs and booths, bought some bones for Rocket and watched a little of the Golden judging.
I was disappointed that they don't announce the classes or categories, or who the winners were. So for a newbie like me, it wasn't very educational. Still fun to see all the dogs, though.

The best was watching the puppies....we just happened to walk by as they were judging the golden puppies....there were three. SOO adorable!

#11 ·
I'm glad you were able to make it and take Rocket it. I really wanted to go but maybe next year. I didn't get the grand kids after all because with Ky being sick my attention was on her.

Was it really crowded? I mean was it easy to walk with Rocket or a lot of people to get through?

#12 ·
I'm glad you were able to make it and take Rocket it. I really wanted to go but maybe next year. I didn't get the grand kids after all because with Ky being sick my attention was on her.

Was it really crowded? I mean was it easy to walk with Rocket or a lot of people to get through?
I didn't really walk around much with him because he was so worked up. We went in first to check out the setup, so we'd know where we were going, then brought him in a back door right by the agility ring, where there was a nice open space. He got to see people and dogs coming in and out, and watch the agility. But we didn't venture further in with him. I was afraid I'd take my eyes off him and he'd bolt over and slobber on some show dog that just came off the grooming table and was on it's way into the ring. LOL!

The nice thing was that the end of the building where they had the "Your Dog can do This" deal was set up for agility, duck herding and CGC testing. There weren't any conformation rings in that section of the building. So if you just came in that door and stayed in that end of the building where all the "fun stuff" was, you wouldn't run as much risk of upsetting the conformation show dogs. Downside is that is the "fun stuff" is also the most distracting for an exciteable dog....lots of pet dogs, the ducks, the agility, etc. The conformation area was a lot more calm.

Overall, some areas were more congested than others. The aisles were quite wide in most areas. You definitely need to have control over your dogs at all times with that many animals in one place. The line/wait was half hour or more for the your dog can do that deal. It seemed to be very popular.

#14 ·
We were there on Saturday... and it was insane. I stopped to check in on friends in the obedience area and a lot of them pulled their young dogs and didn't return on Sunday because it was too much. o_O

Spectator wise - it was awesome. I think it's been a long time since I've seen the show that congested. Good for the clubs.

#16 ·
I was going to WARN you. But we lost power for most of Saturday and most of Sunday morning. :)

While I was watching the obedience for a short while, the main thing I noticed was the people in the rings could barely hear the judge's commands over the loudspeaker from the agility ring.

In previous years that I've taken Jacks with me he was slipping on the floors and freaking out because he could hear that loudspeaker where we were by the big ring and we weren't even in the agility area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.