Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Sport detection

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ljmelius 
#1 ·
Anyone into sport detection? I attended a 5hr seminar/ workshop on the weekend and it was pretty cool. It's a fairly new thing here and there just getting it started. There are not many classes available yet but I learned enough from the workshop to start training Charlie by myself.
The dogs enjoy it a lot but also get really worn out with all this mental work :)
So ya, I was just wondering if anyone training with their dog.

#2 ·
I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. K9 Nose Work? If so we do it with Tayla and it is incredibly fun.

#3 ·
Ya, I guess so. They must just call it something else. It is not tracking and pretty close to what drug or explosives sniifing dogs do just with legal substances. You search items, rooms and outside/vehicles. They are starting with trials this year and dogs can earn the SD-S title or higher...

#4 ·
Probably the same thing. It's not as popular in Florida, where I live, as some other states, but I'm hoping it starts to catch on. We have finished Nose Work Level I and II classes and hope to start Level III, which actually gets into a "scent" next month. Our scent work covers birch, anise and clove. The first one we will do is birch. It is so much fun to watch dogs do what they do naturally and it builds great team work. There are a couple threads on here about Nose Work you may want to look at.

#6 ·
You have much more interesting scents than we do.

#8 ·
I took a intro to nose work class with my trainer and ruby loved it. Being a firefighter. I am perusing accelerant detection with my dog. She will have to be able to find up to 16 different accelerants. Any where from 1/4 cup down to three drops in a pile of cloths, in a room, out side.... and so on. CADA is the testing organization I'll be testing out it.

I really think nose work really increases the connection that the handler and dog have. Much bigger trust factor between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.