Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Renny is going to doggie bootcamp!

4K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  Wendy427 
#1 ·
Yep, decided to take the plunge and "enroll" Renny in "doggie bootcamp".

After having him for @2 months now, I'm noticing more "issues" with him, issues that I'm unsure of how to handle, e.g., his super excitability when seeing other dogs, and excitability with me in the backyard (running at me full-steam and practically knocking me over). Bottom line, I need to learn what to do to make sure he doesn't escalate any unwanted behaviour....especially since he's so strong!

Sooo, a friend/co-worker of mine suggested this behaviourist/trainer in Delaware Ohio. I met her a month ago, with Renny, and I like her approach. At first I felt as if I didn't want to spend so much money, BUT, I've decided to go ahead.

The training program is called a "Residency Program" where Renny will stay with her for 10 days in which she will teach him the fundamentals of virtually everything, including approaching other dogs, socializing him, etc., etc.

After the 10 days, I will meet with her for 4 consecutive Saturdays where she'll relay all the info to me and train ME in her methods.

Another perk is that, in the future, if I need to board Renny, I can do it at her facility for $25/day and she'll work with him to refresh his learning.

I'm dropping him off on Wednesday, 1/9/13.

I'm excited about this, and feel this will really help me feel more confident with Renny, and more certain of what to do training-wise.

For anyone who's curious, here's a link to Amy's website:

Home Page

See less See more
#38 ·
We're having so much fun learning!

I had my 2nd class with my trainer last Saturday. MUCH harder than the first. Both Renny and I were mentally wooped when the hour was up.

I won't go into the specifics of each command, although one of them is a precursor to the recall command: Saying "Come" with my hand to my stomach when he's sitting at the end of the leash. He's to come straight towards me and sit right in front of me.

So I was practicing all the commands yesterday evening, and he was actually getting it!!! Man, was I excited and happy! And so was he! He was so focussed. And most importantly, I was noticing that I was also more focussed when giving the command instead of worrying about whether or not he'd do it!

When we were done with our practice session, and I said "OK!" with my arms open wide, and he was off the leash, he was literally prancing around so happy! :D

I get it now when people say that training with your dog helps you to bond. Totally true!

#40 ·
Another update

Had training class #3 last Wednesday, 1/30. Good lawd, it was hard! We spent 45 mins on one command. Renny just would not do it, even though he had already been taught the command during the 10-day bootcamp. Amy had to finally step in and tweak the command a bit to get us out of the "loop".

Anyway, since then, we've been practicing at home, and Renny is now getting each and every command we've (I've) learned since the start of the classes! :banana:

The issue I'm seeing, however, is that he's now anticipating commands, and starting to do them before I give them! :doh: I swear, this dog is just too smart! Sooo, I've had to vary the duration of the previous command to prevent him from anticipating. So far, it appears to be working, because he's realizing he has to remain focussed on me....which is good, of course.

Going for the 4th and final class on 2/16 where we'll work on recall around other dogs. More than likely I'll be going back to her for additional lessons which are priced individually, but I'll play that by ear for now.

#41 ·
Oh I've been there with our dogs in training classes and them anticipating what I am going to ask them to do next. You are doing the it correctly by mixing it up a bit. For instance, if you are always having them do a down after a sit, then starting eliminating the down and move to something entirely different. It makes their little brains work harder. LOL

#43 · (Edited)
The command that I just couldn't make work in our last training session was the "Sit" after the "Down". Here's how it works (NOTE: all these commands are prepping me and him to be offleash at a dog park. In other words he eventually will be able to do any command with a hand signal from me):

1. We do some walking on leash with him at a "Heel".

2. I stop; he does a "Sit" automatically (without me saying anything).

3. I move in front of him and stand at the end of the leash, holding the leash (so he's now @5 feet in front of me and sitting).

4. With my right forearm up (as if I'm telling someone to stop), I say "Down", and Renny lays down right there.

5. Then after a few seconds I say "Sit" with my right palm upraised at my right hip, and he's supposed to go to a sit from the down position. It was this particular command, he just would not do! :doh: He would look to the side or just stare at me. This went on for @40 mins! Which is when Amy had to step in and tweak the command to get him out of the loop. She also explained that he already knows this command because he had learned it during the 10-day boot camp; and the reason he was not doing it for me was that the command was new to ME.

Fortunately, with practice at home, he's finally able to do this with no problem. Well, except for the part where he's anticipating me, but I'm learning to alter the duration of each command to keep him on his toes! :bowl:

I've also had to get more consistent with putting him ON leash when taking him into my fenced-in backyard because when he's off leash he's been getting into the habit of charging the back fence & barking, whether or not anything/anyone is there :doh:, so I need to stay on him about that.

#48 ·
You're so right: it's absolutely imperative that an owner does the homework to reinforce what was learned at bootcamp. Like I posted previously:

"In fact, Amy's contract states, among other things, "OWNER DILIGENCE. OWNER understands that daily practice sessions between Owner and his/her dog are vital to the success of the training program and that [the training facility] will not be liable to Owner for failure of the program where Owner has not diligently completed practice sessions on a daily basis."
"

Reactions: Pixie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.