Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Adopted my first dog today, Simba! [first post, will update as he grows]

3K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Zakov 
#1 ·
We drove two hours today to the snowy mountains and villages of Mont Tremblant (Quebec) to adopt this cute little guy!

This is our first dog ever (we have a 3 year old adorable cat), and what better dog to get than a Golden Retriever! I decided to call him Simba, since he looks like a little lion to me!

We don't have him yet as he needs to spend one more week with his mommy, but we couldn't be more excited! We were trying to rescue a dog, but it proved to be a difficult and long process (6+ months of searching for a dog that fits me and my family's needs, and my depression was getting worse), so we settled on finding a reputable golden breeder. His parents were very loving and excited! I can't wait for puppy kindergarten and to teach him to be a well-behaved, fun dog.

I'll update this thread with pictures of him as he grows!

See less See more
#3 ·
What a beautiful little munchkin! :D

Welcome to the forum. This place is chock full of wonderful, kindhearted people and loads of great info.

Congrats! :D

#9 ·
He is so cute and looks very cuddly!

Welcome to the forum! :)

#22 ·
Simba's been here about 3 days now, and he's getting used to his crate and doing his business in our garage! He still has a couple accidents on the carpet, but it's getting better!

Our cat doesn't mind him much, but he doesn't approach him either. He went to puppy kindergarten this Saturday and was a good boy (but napped 90% of the time).

I don't have the pictures with me right now, but I'll post them later today! He changed colors since last week. He has brown patches and a white mouth.

#23 ·

He likes to sleep on that air vent a lot! He's still being crate trained, and I put him to sleep in his crate a little while ago and he's being a good boy. He hasn't had an accident with me yet today, and he's been pooping and peeing where he's supposed to. He bites a lot, though, and I have no idea how to stop it! I give him toys to distract him and make him bite those, but he insists on going for my hand/pants/everything else!

We took him out into the snow today and he just flopped around in it and had fun. Once the video finished uploading, I'll share it.

#24 ·
He's going to be very mouthy and bitey for quite a while. Putting a toy in his mouth is a good start. If you search on here for "bite inhibition" you'll find a lot of good info. Goldens in particular, being retrievers, explore and learn about the world through their mouths. Hang in there--it will pass. He's still soooo cute! Sounds like he's doing really well.

#25 ·
my hand used to be so torn up with Bauer.=/ it gets better though, keep using the toys as distractions. He is adorable!

ps- Bauer still loves to sleep on the air vent too! =}

Reactions: Zakov
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.