Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How much to feed my puppy in raw meat?

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  goldhaven 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm wondering how much I should feed Tuco in weight, I'm feeding a homemade raw diet basically assorted meats, bones, and organs. He's 3 months old, 25 lbs, he's very active half of the week doing about 3 hours at the dog park playing and 1 hour walking, about 3 days a week and 4 days a week just about 2 hours of walking per day. He's about 26 inches long from head to start of tail, and 24 from ground to nose head up, these may be abit off because he was being restless. Here's a photo to help. Dog breed Dog Canidae Floor Carnivore

Tuco my new little puppy born October 2, 2012

See less See more
#2 ·
Typically raw feeders start out feeding 2% of the projected adult weight or 10% of their current body weight divided into 3 meals for a pup. It is then adjusted according to the pup. If the pup is getting fat, decrease, and if the pup is getting too skinny, increase.
There is an entire section in this forum designated to raw feeding. Check it out. There is a lot of really good info in there.

Raw diets or Homecooked diets - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

Here is a link to a website that I found very informative and helpful when I first started feeding raw.

The Many Myths of Raw Feeding

#3 ·
How do I know what projected adult weight?

Tuco my new little puppy born October 2, 2012

#7 ·
Well, that depends on your dog. Do you know how big his parents are? Do you think he will be within the breed standard?
Mine are within the breed standard but they are all females. They all get between 1 and 1 1/2 lb of meat/bone/organ meat a day. This includes the pup. She is 6 months old but has been eating raw for about 2 months. The only difference is that the baby gets hers divided into 2 feedings and the older dogs only get fed once a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.