Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Excited to be part of the Golden family!!

864 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Rose2170 
#1 ·
My family got a little bigger Christmas Day when Santa brought us our Golden, Rufus. We live in a small rural community in Tennessee, and this is our first Golden. I have a 10 year old and an almost 2 year old that love their time with Rufus. It is definitely taking some adjusting to get use to a pup in the house again!!! Can't wait to visit with other Golden parents, and I am open to suggestions. :)

Dog Canidae Dog breed Companion dog Puppy

See less See more
#4 ·
Rose

We got Sheldon when he was 9 weeks old and he took to housebreaking pretty easy.
He hasn't had an accident in 3 weeks. I followed a very dedicated schedule starting
out taking him outside to the same area every 1/2 hour to 1 hour depending on his
feeding schedule and water in take. At night we would go to bed rather late so his
last potty visit was at 1 a.m. He slept through the night. He got up anywhere from
6 to 7a.m. I did not use the crate training method but I have heard that works well.
Sheldon is a rather easy going puppy. I've trained three other goldens the same way
and was successful. At first you just have to be very dedicated hubby too.
Take Refus out after napping and within 15 minutes of eating and during his waking
time .Get out very often. Be sure to clean up any accidents very throughly. I have no
carpets so it was easy to clean up. Hope this info helps. Eventually Rufus will hold it
longer. Now Sheldon goes out about every 3-4 hours during the day but right out in the morning when he gets up.

#7 ·
Congrats

:wavey: Congrats on the little one .... they are great when they are young ....they don't stay that way very long ....:( ! only thing I can add is to make sure the puppy has some quiet time ... most puppy owners with young children have to keep an eye out because children can be relentless with non stop poking and prodding ! puppies do get tired and need some protection ! :)

#5 ·
Welcome to the place place to find answers to your questions.I know I've asked soooo many LOL.I agree with Sheldonsmom take him out often & to the same place each time.Jack will go to the same place each time I let him out.(I don't ave to use a leash in the yard anymore)Sweetie had never been house trained when I rescued her at 7 months old so it took awhile & she goes outside but not to the same place each time so it's alot harder to keep the yard clean.

#9 ·
Welcome

Welcome to you and Rufus. What an adorable puppy.
Only advice to offer is puppy proof your house as you would for a newborn baby.
Also, never let him off his leash, or in an unfenced yard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.