Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Incontinent Senior Dog

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Amberbark 
#1 ·
Good Morning,

We have an almost 16 year old Skipperkee/Yorkie mix named LilBit. She will be 16 on Valentine's Day. She has been the best dog all of her life. She is partially blind due to cataracts and partially deaf, moderately confused due to senior dementia, stage 5 heart murmur (successfully controlled with meds), labs like a youngster and is a very happy camper. Her days consist of her meals, naps in an enclosed laundry with pee pee pads and a heated stone comfy in her open crate. She comes out scampering for meals, playtime, rubbies and lots of healthy snacks. Downside is that we have to shuffle around to ensure that we don't step on her as she is like a crazy wind-up toy. She has always used a doggy door to potty, but now gets confused and ends up in another corner of another room. She will just squat if she is confused, if she sees her reflection in the doggy door or if another of our dogs in outside.
Question: how do you successfully deal with the incontinence? We have tried diapers, but she gets them off. My husband is a patient man, but 2-3 accidents a day on the carpet are causing frustration. Thanks so much.
P.S. I added a pic of LilBit from 2003. :wavey: Vicki

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How about keeping her in a room that does not have carpets? Make it all comfortable for her, with a bed and some toys. She is adorable!

#8 ·
Here's a link regarding the Corn Silk Animal Health Issues: Incontinence

I purchase mine from Swanson Vitamins (Natures Way Corn Silk). "Corn silk, when ingested, primarily acts as an anti-inflammatory in the genitourinary tract (kidneys, bladder and urethra). Its potent astringent effect can tighten and strengthen the smooth muscles of the bladder, which is why it may benefit incontinent animals.

There is lots of info on the internet regarding it's use in dogs with incontinence. I've been happy with the results it's given my dog. It's not 100% but it's helped so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.