Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Im so upset and don't know what to do

9K views 100 replies 37 participants last post by  Nazzers 
#1 ·
I will start from the beginning , warning this may be a long post.

We bought our puppy from a breeder that advertised ckc registered. So I contacted her and decided after a visit to go ahead and purchase a pup.

Fast forward to the week before bringing her home, we were asked to help at the vets with the micro chips and at that time I asked the vet for recommendation for a pet insurance and our breeder said she was insured for the first 6 weeks with petsecure and could continue if we wanted after the trial. Even gave me the brochure. So I stopped my search and thought it was a good plan , even the vet said it was a good insurance.

So we bring Carly home and of course has diarrhea. I know its common when they just get home but there was blood so off to the vet. Again fast forward , we have been through 3 meds 2 tests number of vet visits and still has diarrhea.

I waited for four weeks to get the paper work from the insurance package so i could submit my receipts and since I didn't see anything gave them a call. We were no where in their files but asked to contact breeder in case the paperwork was lost. This is where the upset began, she has admitted to screwing up and somehow we don't have insurance. I am so upset , I applied immediately for insurance and have no idea if we will get it now as she has already been at the vets with these problems also I am already at about 200$ gone and now they want to do a diarrhea panel that will cost almost 200$.

She is still passing blood , I don't know what to do I was counting on the insurance to help us in these cases and now I have none.

It also got me thinking if she had even registered her with the ckc and as far as I know there is nothing on file , I just want to cry. I have a feeling we are going to be put in the poor house with the next few visits , she has only been here 6 weeks and I'm out 400$ plus. Any advice what to do?

I am not going to bring the breeders name into this as I think she is a wonderful person and she loves her pets but I think somewhere along the way she has really screwed up. I have an email ready to go but wanted your opinions before sending thank you for reading my long post :(

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#78 ·
It can vary so much as they age all I can really say is that having a slightly leaner puppy will be better for their joint development

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: Nazzers
#80 ·
Day two of firm poops and no meds , still on rice and chicken :( but we are doing good on the poop , its been about three weeks straight on rice and chicken , time to figure out what food to get , I know a lot of you have suggested different kinds , its all so overwhelming , what should I start with ?? It seems there is something in the food that irritates her so what should I look for ?? Blue wilderness chicken was our last food , but like others have said it may have been too rich. Thanks for all of the advice and tips and care you have all shared.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#81 ·
You should check out Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach. Anecdotally, I've heard several people on here say they switched their dogs to it with great success. I've had Tucker on it for a while. They didn't have any issues to start with, but they haven't developed any either. Worth checking out--Purinas been around for a long time.

#83 ·
When Charlie was having digestive issues we also thought of switching to Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. However Purina doesn't reccomend it for puppies and would give me absolutely no guidance on how much to feed a growing dog. They only reccomend it for dogs over one year old. We ended up with California Naturals Lamb and Rice Puppy (they also have a chicken and rice puppy). It's limited ingredient and affordable for us and Charlie has done well on it. There are lots of limited ingredient foods out there, maybe some others could throw out some suggestions on ones that might work.

#85 ·
Hi, sorry you are having such issues with your new pup. I am new to the board so, howdy!

Hope at this point you are making headway with getting your pup's tummy under control. It sounds like enteritis. I have raised my share of critters and I have found keeping pro-bios on hand is a huge positive, never know when they will blow out their bowels. On a daily basis I give Greek Oikos yogurt to my dogs. I am a huge believer in the digestive benefits that the Oikos gives, so all the 2 legged kids eat at least 1 cup of yogurt a day, which we have found keeps flu and other "bugs" at bay. For the dogs we leave a smidgen at the bottom of a cup to allow our dogs to lick the cups clean. Its a treat and bonding time but also they are getting good gut bacteria at the same time. A healthy body has a healthy gut, 2 legged or 4.

It also may be a growing time, we have a Basset that went through something similar. Brought her home and she started blowing out her bowels. We took her to the vet and they found nothing unusual. It was rice and water for several weeks with a little bit of yogurt.

Best of luck!

Team Trouble, members: Angus and Briley, look out world, trouble never looked so cute!

#86 ·
Doesn't appear from the website that it's sold in Canada and I have no idea how international shipping works. Charlie was 3 months old when his digestive issues started and it's taken us a few months of trial and error and food switches to figure it out. We were originally on Iams Smart Puppy large breed which made him vomit, then tried Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy which also made him vomit, also tried grain free (Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream) and he had horrible diarrhea from that. In between those transitions he was on Purina EN prescription food which was pricey and fully of grains - he was super itchy on it but had relatively normal stools. The California Naturals seems to be working for him - still a softer poop once in awhile, but I'd say 95% are firm normal stools and he now only goes 2 times per day, 3 at the most and no gas. I think going to a limited ingredient diet really helped him - less fillers and questionable stuff. We're sticking with it as long as we can buy it and it keeps working for him! I believe Natural Balance is another one that has a variety limited ingredient kibbles.

#87 ·
I did look up California naturals and its sold about 45 mins away , too far for my liking , I did go and get a food tonight , a large puppy chicken and rice picture below, I have no idea if this is going to work , I am not even sure what was said that made me think this one was good, just hoping it works. Anyone know anything about this food ? The pet store offers a money back guarantee if our pup doesn't do well on it. I was considering the ppp ss but was told by the store too that its for older dogs . This is so stressful trying to get the best for our pup sigh!!! a Drink Liqueur Dietary supplement

#88 ·
I have never seen that food before. Hope someone up your way could chime in. Hope it works though. I guess you could compare the ingredients to the food Ohiomom9977 posted. Poor thing she has gone thru so much with Charlie I think in the past few months she has become an expert on sensitive stomach puppy food.

#89 ·
I just looked it up and so far have read good reviews , I have only seen one negative that its high in carbs so careful with weight. It's also pet valus own brand soooo..... Not too sure but I will try anything. A lot if reviews had stated that it was great for pups with sensitive stomachs, we will see !! Fingers crossed !!

#90 ·
Be sure to look into mail delivery of pet food. There are several,services that will deliver. That might enable you to get a special food unavailable locally, at least for a few months until your little guy is a year old. Good luck--you've got your hands full there!

#93 ·
Glad your baby is feeling better.

In the US, Amazon will deliver many dog foods at no charge. Don't know if that would work in Canada, but it might be worth checking. That would give you a lot more options.

#95 ·
We live in manitoba and because Joey was having such problems we started having his dog food shipped from Pet Food direct to the boarder. We have a boarder services there with a box number and the company is fine with that. We have to drive an hour to get the dog food but for now we will. It's free shipping which is good as its heavy and could be costly. We order two 30 pound bags at a time as this is the free delivery. Grab a coffee and away we go..... Hopefully when he's older we will be able to switch him to something we cyan buy locally.

#96 ·
Opps didn't mean to send that yet. Anyway maybe this company would work for you not sure how far you are away from the boarder? The cost is really good so makes up for the gas and the bit of hassle. Joey is doing great on the food so it makes it worthwhile. Good luck to you. I hope everything works out for you. Oh yes just put free ship or ship free in the promo when ordering.

#97 ·
Honestly, I think diarrhea is just a part of life when you have a puppy. I dealt with diarrhea with Flora for over 7 months when she was a pupper. It wasn't a normal week with her if I wasnt on my hands and knees at least once cleaning up a liquidy, foul puddle.

I too switched from BB to PPP SS when Flora was 8 months old. It worked like a charm. My vet suggested that Flora may be sensitive to chicken, so I purposely chose a formula that did not contain chicken. This is something you should perhaps consider.

Good luck; try not to get too wound up about this. I did, and it all worked out in the end. Flora still has a sensitive gut, but once your dog is on a food that works for her you will be home free. Good luck!

#99 ·
Sorry for another poop update ... We are back to firm again :) :) thank you for all of your tips and concern. As for the post just above regarding diarrhea just being a puppy thing , I agree but when there is a lot of mucus and blood then its a concern, and when the pup is not gaining weight and losing weight. This was my first month with her and continues on and off for another month. It's been so bad the vet still has not given her a rabies shot until we got things under control. I would have been perfectly fine if it was just a bout of diarrhea here and there but not to the extent that our poor girl had it. This has been the first week in a long time I feel like we are actually getting somewhere. Thankfully. :)

#100 ·
Try feeding raw, slowly adding new meats, it really keeps the stools firm and the slow adding of new meats and organs really allows you to figure out if there are any foods that he's particularly sensitive to. Also it will give dental and other benefits that processed kibble a just wont. If you can't feed raw for some reason I guess a good brand is back to basics. Evo red meat formula is good as is Fromm surf and turf. After all the dogs that got seriously ill or even died during the 2007 food recall I would never trust purina

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.