Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Let me tell you about Lucy ❤ 6/21/2003 - 5/17/2012

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Sheldon's Mom 
#1 ·
I joined this forum after I got Vinnie but now I want to talk about Lucy. She was the love of my life.

Lucy was one of Toni's Ten. Toni was in a shelter in Indiana, pregnant with her pups. She was slated to give birth and then be euthanized along with all ten of her puppies as soon as they were born ( the birth was already in process). A rescue organization called Vicki's pet connection caught wind of this and drove through the night to get to Indiana before the shelter opened. They got to them just in time and brought Toni and her 10 pups back to Michigan.

All were adopted as well as Toni and I was blessed with the sweetest dog I ever had. Lucy was a Lab/Golden/German Shepard mix.

We live in a neighborhood with lots of kids and we always had Lucy on the porch with with us. The kids all loved her to pieces. When Lucy was 6, we decided to have a little party for her and about 6 kids joined us. When she was 7 there were about 15 kids and we she turned 8 we had 27 kids. That would be her last birthday party. Losing Lucy was a heartbreak that resonated throughout the neighborhood.

She died of cancer just before her 9th birthday. I had already started making plans for the next birthday bash.

I look back with fond memories. Here are some photos I would like to share. The party was all for Lucy. She even got lots of presents from the kids.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal
Community Event Child Party Fun
Backyard Event Yard Fun Grass
Picture frame Art Room Visual arts Fawn

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you for sharing Lucy's story! How priviledged she was to have birthday parties with kids! Poppy would LOVE that! I should think of something special I could do for her on her birthday. On the other hand, I do a lot a things especially for her all year round! :D Anyway, thank you for letting us know about pretty Lucy!

#10 ·
I plan to make Vinnie's birthdays very special and I spoil him everyday but the annual summer birthday bash has been retired with sweet Lucy.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
I can understand why you wanted to retire the summer Birthday Bashes, but it would be such a wonderful way to honor your sweet Lucy if you continued them.

Perhaps ask for donations be made to the Rescue Group that saved her mom and the entire litter in lieu of gifts as a tribute to Lucy so they can continue to help other dogs in need. The Donations could be made in Lucy's memory.

She was a beautiful and very special girl, you have so many wonderful memories of her.

#7 ·
Reactions: Vinnie's Mom
#13 ·
How lucky you are you had Lucy and how lucky Lucy was to be with you. Thank you for telling us about her.

#17 ·
I'm in tears reading your tribute to your beloved Lucy! Thanks so much for rescuing her and giving her such a beautiful life! I'm so sorry for your loss of her to cancer at such a young age. Though she lived a short time, you and the neighborhood children gave her more love and happy memories in her short life than many golden kids ever have in a long lifetime. Your love and memories will never die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.