Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Please Pray For Andy - Lymphoma

672K views 5K replies 211 participants last post by  dborgers 
#1 ·
Hi there.

Andy is my 4th golden retriever. My first, Buddy, was pulling a stake on the end of a chain with his eyes swollen shut when he wandered up to my wife at her office. He was about 5 then, and we had him for 10 more years. He was the first therapy dog in Nashville and worked every week with pediatric trauma patients at Vanderbilt Hospital here in Nashville.

We were deep in sadness. One day I said to my wife, "Honey, there's another golden who needs us. Let's get an older dog who isn't being adopted", so we found a wonderful golden rescue group - Tennessee Valley Golden Retriever Rescue (TVGRR.com) and adopted Trevor, who was about 10 or 11. His coat was dry like straw and he'd evidently been tied up his entire life somewhere. He didn't know how to have fun. He learned to play ball and loved to swim at the lake. When his energy suddenly dropped about 2 months after we adopted him, we spent thousands of dollars on diagnostic tests (too many vets don't know what they're doing, sadly). He had leukemia. We spoiled him with pot roast and love. I petted and talked with him all night the night he died with a beautiful shiny coat and a waggy tail, finally knowing what it's like to be loved.

Next came Henry, also about 10 or 11. Someone opened a door at a vet office and let him in. That's how he ended up with the great people at TVGRR. He vomited one night 5 months after we adopted him and the next day as well. We took him to the vet. Darn it! He had an inoperable huge cancerous tumor in his belly and we held him as he went to the Rainbow Bridge.

Andy came next. We've had him for 8 years. He was about 1 or 2 when we adopted him. Like our first, Buddy, Andy's been a therapy dog for long term pediatric patients.

Well, I felt two small lumps in his neck last week. He had an operation where they removed one but left the larger one (about half the size of an egg) because it was attached to lymphatic tissue. The biopsy results came in today. Early stage Lymphoma. Needless to say, we're devastated. The economic downturn has hit us pretty hard and we don't have extra money, but we'll get him the chemo and hope it gives him more time. I just lost my sibling to cancer not too long ago. Another loss of a very loved one would be very hard right now.

Tomorrow we'll be taking him to the oncologist to start the chemo process.

Reading a lot about others experiences with lymphoma in their goldens we know chemo will only give him an extension, not a cure.

Any experiences and/or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. We're very open to holistic avenues in addition to chemo. Also, any experience you can share about anything from generic chemo drugs to holistic/diet ideas would be very welcome.

Hope and helpful information would be a blessing right about now.

Thanks so much.

PS I recommend adopting from a golden retriever rescue. So many like Andy were simply dumped off at kill shelters when they got 'big' and weren't puppies anymore.

See less See more
#4,197 · (Edited)
I can't recall if I've ever posted any pictures of our previous rescue boys or not.

Buddy wandered in back of Jane's car pulling a chain with a stake on the end of it in 1990, eyes swollen shut from infection. We had him nearly 10 years. He was like Andy; gentle, sweet, and loving. He was the first therapy dog in Nashville and lived to be an estimated 15 years old. He loved to shake people's hands when he met them, and would sit and double high five anyone who asked.

Buddy in a typical moment. He was a tennis ball freak! :D :

We adopted Trevor from TVGRR about 3 months after Buddy went to the Bridge. Trevor was in bad shape, having been chained up his entire life. His coat was like straw and he didn't have a lot of energy. Thousands of dollars of tests later it was determined he had leukemia. Dr. Root provided excellent palliative care, and Trevor blossomed into a shiny coated boy with a waggly tail.

Trevor heading in from the back yard with Daisy (who ruled the world and lived to be 18 years old).

There's quite a story behind this shot, but perhaps another time when things aren't so sad around the forum.

Trevor at the lake. While we were only lucky enough to have him for 7 months before the leukemia got him, he learned to have fun as he experienced fun things for the first time in his life.

This is Henry. We adopted him about 6 weeks after Trevor went to the Bridge. Henry was also with us for 7 months. We helped him to the Bridge after he got sick one morning. It was discovered at the vet's office that day Henry had hemangiosarcoma and was in danger of going at any second. He was a little cutie pie. Smaller than the other goldens we've also been lucky enough to have blessed our lives.

This is one of the many other dogs we've fostered who've either shown up at our house or ended up here following the deaths of their owners. Fred was a dachshund whose owner died. He's bandaged up because he made the mistake of biting Daisy, who snapped back and got him in the ear. As a dachshund, there was plenty of ear to grab :) He learned to not mess with Daisy, ruler of the world, who died at 18 years old 2 minutes after coming in from the back yard telling the squirrels they'd better behave.

Fred was adopted about 2 months later to a great home and lived out his days in comfort ... with a female dachshund companion, no less. Lots of funny stuff happened while Fred was here.

#4,198 ·
#4,199 ·
Danny, the pictures are wonderful, you have made me all teary eyed again! You have given so much love and care to so many, what an amazing difference you have made to these dogs and indeed the world. I wish there were more like you. Sending hugs over.

#4,202 ·
Love Andy's sailing photos! He really did have the best adventures ever :D
Thanks for sharing the pics of all the dogs you have rescued. You've given a wonderful home to lots of dogs in need and must have made such a difference to their lives. You and Jane are such kind and caring people :) Hope you're doing okay. Sammy sends you both a big puppy hug. He's had a busy day doing zoomies around the yard and relentlessly attempting to eat rocks :doh:

#4,203 ·
A pic of Andy and Jane at her birthday party in 2011. Andy was clipped short because he'd been having some skin problems that cleared up with topicals. A couple of cuties, eh? :)

Andy licking off the last molecule of the obligatory piece of birthday cake. Aw

PS - The way we've looked at it, our rescues have done far more for us than we've done for them. :)

#4,204 ·
Love the Pictures

I just love all the pictures, and yes, Jane and Andy are both cuties!
I love hearing about all of your rescues-any dog that ends up belonging to you two is very lucky indeed and very loved!!

Reactions: dborgers
#4,205 ·
Cue: "Beautiful Dreamer" (of food!). Jane prepares Andy and Katie a home cooked dinner. Anxious souls supervise as they patiently wait, crumbs on the floor from treats they had in the meantime.

#4,206 ·
Your pictures are treasures, one and all. What huge, golden hearts you and Jane have to share your lives with these precious souls. Twice blessed... you and those you've helped. Hugs my friend.... you are most special!

#4,209 · (Edited)
I'm so happy you're enjoying the pics :)

I can feel Andy's softness as I look at them myself, and halfway expect him to walk into the room at any time. Smiling as I remember and celebrate Andy's well lived life, but also having "moments" when the reality hits, as many of you can relate to from your own experiences of losing a golden boy or girl.

It means a lot to log on here and see you all, check up on our GRF puppies and all the other goldens here I've come to care about.

Thank you for being here and sharing Andy's life and times. :)

#4,210 ·
Here's a couple of Jake (the snake)

This is Lillie, sweet baby girl

And, Maddie, the beast. Look at those ornery eyes. I love her so much.

#4,212 ·
Beautiful pictures of beautiful boys and girls, Maddie's Mom. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing them :)

PrincessDi, Andy and our other dogs have never been farther away than a couple feet from the action when it comes to food. Bet yours are the same. Food and goldens seem to have an incredible bond with each other LOL :)

#4,215 ·
Such a beautiful parade of lucky dogs. They all had such spirit in their eyes. I love the one of Trevor in the lake. He looks like he's thinking, I have hit the jackpot.

I love all the old photos - what great memories they must bring.

#4,216 ·
So sorry to hear of the loss of Andy. He was an inspiration to me when my wonderful golden boy Sunny was diagnosed with lymphoma in January. Its been two months since we lost Sunny and the house & our hearts are still empty without him. I wish you and your family my sincere condolences.
Found an interesting article today on a study that was done by UC Davis that has found an increase in lymphoma (plus other cancers) in goldens that were neutered before the age of 1. Here is the link: Questioning Traditional Neutering Recommendations for Dogs « speakingforspot.com
Hilde

#4,217 · (Edited)
I'm glad you're enjoying the old photos. Thank you for sharing their lives and memories.

80 degrees today. Aw. Well, I know Andy's swimming in a warm and beautiful lake to his heart's content between trips to the endless treat buffet. I'm so grateful we had one last warm summer of fun thanks to chemotherapy. It was what I prayed for, and those prayers were answered. There's no doubt in my mind yours helped too. Precious memories.

Remember when Andy met the two little girls who screamed with delight as they played fetch with him by the lake? He sure brought a lot of joy wherever he went:

#4,219 ·
Andy sure brought a lot of joy to all of us here and you allowed us to travel this journey with you! That video of Andy enjoying his swim and his new friends brought a smile to my heart, followed by lots of tears too! Had prayed so hard that Andy would get to enjoy another season of swims, ball playing and treats. I do believe he is doing that all in heaven though to his hearts content with all of our golden angels.

#4,220 ·
Great video, I remember watching it last year and seeing how kind he was with the little girls - bless him, such a sweet boy. Andy had so much fun swimming! I bet he's been swimming lots at the bridge and hopefully he's taught Daisy and she'll be like a pro now too. I can just picture their 2 little faces and floppy ears bobbing along in a lake :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.