Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Help!!!

3K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  Jessie'sGirl 
#1 ·
We're in Tennessee on vacation, we brought Van Gogh with us...

The 10 hour drive from Florida to tennesee he did great!

Since he's been here he's been getting sick constantly almos like he's not digesting his food... I have him on eukanuba mixed his fish oil and pumkin in it as i seem his stool was lose when he went to the bathroom in GA.

He's not taking any cheese so I could sneak a Dramamine or two in it...

Please someone help us. What to do to get him back to good health

#2 ·
Is he trying to eat, then throwing up? Does he have diarrhea? Has he had his parvo vaccination yet?

The biggest danger to a puppy right now is probably dehydration. Make sure he has access to water. If his gums look grayish, not pink, he's probably dehydrated. I'm not a vet but these are the things I've seen on here. If you think he's dehydrated, you should probably take him to a vet right away. They can hook him up to an IV. Since you are East and its almost the end of the business day, I'd suggest doing that sooner rather than later. If you wait until after business hours, you'll be paying for an emergency room visit.

Good luck. Hope your little one is OK.

#3 ·
How old is he? Did the loose stools just start? What are their consistency? Does it have an abnormally foul smell?

Could he be stressed, as stress can cause diarrhea or loose stools. If his gums are pink, he is acting normally, and his stool is just a little loose, I wouldn't panic. I'd withhold food until tomorrow morning. When I did feed him, it would be rice. Uncle Ben's sells a pouch of white rice you can microwave. If you have the ability/access to boil chicken or ground beef, Id also do that.

When did you begin the fish oil? Is that a new addition to his diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
If you just started the fish oil (which I think I saw something elsewhere about you just starting last week), that could be causing a little upset. <- I noticed the same thing when I accidently put 2 pumps of fish oil in Bertie's food instead of Jacks, and just went with it.

Pumpkin can also cause loose stool, I think....

#5 ·
If you did not change the food, it might be the water. Bottled water (make sure it is not city water purified and bottled but source water) could help.

Pumpkin can go both ways, it can loosen the stool or harden it depending on how much you give. Stop the fish oil for the time being. I agree with the rice or rice/chicken idea.

#8 ·
#13 ·
With in a 250 miles, 1 location is open they told me that they are filled. It's horrible I even called 911 to get help but they were no help.

My breeder i called said not to worry due to the fact we drive 10 hours prolly didn't drink much, then the dramaime we gave him could give him the signs that I have right now.

He suggested to get a beef cube in water, the salty ness and flavor makes him drink more...

I'm going up the mountain now to go get that and chicken.... We went on a 5 mile hike today in snow up a mountain at 5500 feet... We came across some rivers that he drank at.

But keeping the liquids in him is gonna be a battle....

#15 ·
I agree, if the gums truly are grey it's time for an ER vet. Any major city should have 1. It's not the same as a regular clinic.
If you push on the gums is there a difference in color where your finger was than the rest of the gums and how long does it take for that color to return to normal?

#17 ·
Well, a hike in snow can certainly also dehydrate a person as well as a dog.
Are you in the mountains in East Tennessee? There is no snow in West or Middle Tennessee.
There should be something around, just show up. If it is a regular clinic, they have emergency contact numbers on the door. It is either for an emergency clinic or pager numbers of the vet on call.
Try to get some liquids into him and head to a vet. Not open does not mean they don't have someone on call. Emergency clinics should be open by now, if only staffed at night.

#18 ·
Emergency Vet

Something was wrong with the water he drank I bet.
You need to google an emergency vet in the town you are in and get there.
You don't have to call an emerg. vet just go in, they are open 24 hours.

#20 ·
Gray gums suggests internal bleeding. This is a potentially life-threatening situation. PLEASE please please get your pup to an ER vet immediately. Tell us where you are and we will try to find someone who can help. Please. And keep us posted. We care.

#21 · (Edited)
phone number and address of emergency clinic in Knoxville:

1819 Ailor Ave., Knoxville, TN 37916

phone: (865)637-0114

Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge

Animal Clinic503 Maple Ln,Pigeon Forge,TN37863» Map(865) 428-8381

Smoky Mountain Animal Clinic

10718 Chapman Hwy,Sevierville,TN37876» Map(865) 577-4861

Chattanooga emergency vet:

2132 Amnicola Hwy
Chattanooga, TN 37406
(423) 698-4612

#25 ·
phone number and address of emergency clinic in Knoxville:

1819 Ailor Ave., Knoxville, TN 37916

phone: (865)637-0114

Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge

Animal Clinic503 Maple Ln,Pigeon Forge,TN37863» Map(865) 428-8381

Smoky Mountain Animal Clinic

10718 Chapman Hwy,Sevierville,TN37876» Map(865) 577-4861

Chattanooga emergency vet:

2132 Amnicola Hwy
Chattanooga, TN 37406
(423) 698-4612
Quoting this in case you didn't see it. There are are emergency vets near you and a lot of people here really believe you need to get your pup to one.

#22 ·
We're in Pigeon Forge but we drove to new found gap and had hiked all through there, yesterday went to Cade's cove and hikes 2.5 miles up to Laruel falls

We did a lot of driving today maybe 2 hours worth? He doesn't do well with motion sickness...

Also doesn't seem to have digested his food he ate early in the morning...

I gave Van Gogh chicken and he then drank the water mixed with pedialyte

But as I was sending this email he just puked up the chicken :(

#38 ·
You would definitely know if the gums were white. I used to always second guess myself when checking my dog's gums, when I actually had a dog that was internally bleeding, the vet had me check the gums, and they were WHITE.

Reactions: hubbub
#26 ·
White gums means blood loss. Blue means lacks oxygen. Grey or purple COULD mean shock.

How to do a capillary refill test by pressing on the gums with your finger. When you remove your finger, the gums should briefly be white but should return to their pink color within two seconds.

Reactions: GoldensGirl
#27 ·
His are pink as you stated, I called the hospital and he said the climate change is the reason he's getting sick ( they had a few in the last hour ) but again I can always drive out to Knoxville which is only a hour away and pay the 149.99 pet exam then anything else would be extra or wait it out in the morning since his gums are normal he just isn't holding anything down

#28 ·
You've got a few 24hr clinics close to you-within 30 miles
Emergency / 24 Hour Vet Clinics Near Sevierville, TN 37876, USA
It could be as simple as dehydration or something more serious. Even dehydration can go bad quickly.
It's worth a trip to the ER vet. At the very least they can give an anti-nausea medicine and maybe something to help with motion sickness if that is the cause.
IMO this is a better to be safe than sorry situation

#30 ·
Golden,

Thank you for the advice.

I'm going to go back as far as Friday night..

Wednesday I started him on fish oil. 3 pumps that night, then 3 pumps again that morning with 2 pumps that night. Friday I did 3 pump for his food...

Friday night we left Florida at 10pm we gave him Benadryl (50mg) then 2 Dramamine at 10:30 pm.

When we entered Tennessee around 11:00 am the next day I stopped off at a gas station to allow him to go potty. He went potty, noticed his stool was lose & walked him back to the car. We got back onto the highway and he started to bite his feet, started to cry and he never crys so we pulled over quickly. We got him out of the car and Van Gogh started to roll all over and bite his front paw.

His front paw looked red so I ran into the car and tossed water on his foot. That solved the problem he was all calm and good...

I assume their was gas on the ground that he stepped on.

When we arrived we unpacked at our cabin, then went to Cade's cove an hiked up to laurel Falls its a round trip hike of 2.5 miles...

Then went home, called it a night.

Today we woke up, went to flap jacks, he wore his jacket and acted like a good service dog...

Then after we left the restaurant we went to new found gap we first started to hike at 3200 ft went for 2-3 mile hike.. Then went to 4400 ft and hiked to some river streams where Van Gogh ran through the water (drank some)

After we drove up to 5500 ft I noticed he was to tired and was trying to sleep, we had brought him with us to the peak and hiked for about 1/2 mile and turned around...

When we got home he had gotten sick, then stopped eating...

I beleive he has Elevation sickness mixed with no sleep since he is use to sleeping most the day... While I am at work / my wife at the office he sleeps a great percentage of the day. Since he was pushed to the max these past few days hasn't gotten enough rest so tmrw i decided to stay at the cabin and rest with him and maybe on tmrw night if he feels better we will take him into town and go to gatlinburg and walk around the shops.

But at any rate, his gums are fine, he hasn't slept all day which isn't like him so when we got home after I first made this post he was trying to lay down and I forced him to eat an drink which only came back up.

He's on the bed with us right now an he's dead asleep so I'm not going to wake him and drive again with him so were gonna see what rest can bring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.