Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Toby RIP Best dog/friend

4K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  HolDaisy 
#1 ·
Lost my 11 year old friend the Tuesday before Christmas.What a beautiful loving friend.He never met anyone he did'nt like.The end came too fast for him,he had been slowing down a little.I just thought it was because he was getting older.He woke up a few days before and couldn't get up.Right to the vets for a look,carried my 80 lb friend down 3 flights of stairs without a whimper from him..
Holding him in my arms while he passed was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. My home and life just feel so empty without my four legged friend. Im getting lots of support from family, friends and neighbors who loved him... Every one is telling me to get another dog, I whispered in Tobs ear before he left that I wouldn't get another dog.I just want it to stop hurting...

#2 ·
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my 10 year old golden in October and I know
the feeling of the emptiness in the home and the sadness you feel.
I have had two other goldens that passed as well. Toby will always hold a special
place in your heart. Maybe one day you will be ready to open your heart to love
another golden and this new pup will bring you much happiness.

#3 ·
So sorry for your sudden loss :( Like lots of others on here I understand your pain. We lost our 3 yr old golden girl almost a year ago. Our home has been so empty without her and we miss her so much. Time has helped us alot, and the wonderful people on here with their advice and understanding. We didn't think we would ever be ready for another golden...but 2 weeks ago we put a deposit down on a little boy and are going to visit him tomorrow. Hang in there and your memories will help you through and in time when you are ready you may open your heart to another dog.

#4 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss of Toby. It is so hard to say goodbye, no matter how or when it happens. So many of us are heartbroken over the loss of our beloved Goldens. You will find a lot of support and comfort from this forum. Happy to hear that you have family and friends for support. It means so much. The healing process takes time, and you have to be patient with yourself. Grieve and cry when you need to, and come back and tell us more about Toby when you're able. Toby joins all of our fur babies at the Bridge, and someday we'll cross the Bridge together! Peace.

#5 ·
I am very sorry for your loss of Toby. I do understand your pain and feelings. Take time to grieve as much as you need, there is nothing wrong with it, you lost your best friend. I am glad you found us, at this place we are helping each other to get thru hard times. You can talk about Toby and post his picture, we are here for you.

#6 ·
Reactions: Georgegn
#7 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss of Toby. My heart goes out to you, I know you're pain. I've been through it many times, it never gets any easier.

Take each day one at a time, give yourself time to grieve and your heart to heal. I hope with time you will be able to find peace in his passing. He is no longer suffering and has joined many of our Goldens at the Rainbow Bridge where he is running free, enjoying life as he did when he was young, and waiting for you.

Godspeed Toby

#9 ·
wow, what an emotional post. I can tell that toby was an amazing dog and the bond you two have is something special. It's funny how men are supposed to be so tough but when it comes to our dogs, there's nothing we won't do when trying to help them. Just know we can relate to what you are feeling and take your time in the grieving process. My wife was devastated after we lost our girl of 10 years so I couldn't even mention the idea of another dog till she came up to me the other day and said "I was looking at these rescue sites..." and I was glad she did. you'll know when it's right to get another dog.
Fred

#11 ·
So very sorry to hear you have lost your dear Toby. I lost both my beloved goldens in October so like many here, I do understand the pain and loss you are suffering.
Please try to console yourself with the knowledge that you did the right thing for him - when we can't help them anymore, we need to be strong enough to let them go.

Be kind to yourself. Thinking of you,
Lyn

#12 ·
RIP - Toby

When Tomorrow Starts Without Me

When tomorrow starts
without me,
and I'm not there to see,
If the sun should rise
and find your eyes,
all filled with tears for me,​

I wish so much you wouldn't cry,
though I know your heart aches so
But remember it was
for the best...
It was my time to go.​

I know how much you love me...
As much as I love you.
And each time you're
thinking of me,
I know you'll miss me too.​

When tomorrow starts
without me,
don't think we're far apart,
For every time you think of me,
I'm right here in your heart.​

Author Unknown

#13 ·
Toby RIP

I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone. Toby was a special dog and I cherish everyday that he was with me,lots of memories,trips,rides and walks.. I am so glad that I took alot of pictures of him.Thank You again ,everyone for all the kind words and thoughts. George:wavey:

Attachments

#14 ·
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Toby. The losses of our loved ones hurt so bad and our prayers go out to you and your family. Take all the time you need to grieve for Toby and focus on the wonderful memories that you had together. He will always be with you.

Rest in Peace dear Toby and Godspeed. You have many Golden friends now waiting to take care of you now at the Bridge.

#17 ·
Sorry for you loss.

#18 ·
So sorry for your loss of sweet Toby.

In June 2011 I lost my 15 year old dog and 18 year old cat just ten days apart. The world stopped for me and the pain was unbearable. The house seemed cold and empty. I felt like I was living through a bad dream that just wouldn't end.

Eventually, the pain of living without a pet was too strong to ignore. We opened our hearts to a rescue golden. He brought life and fun back into our house again. He hasn't replaced my girls, but he has helped me move forward.

Grief is different for everyone. Take your time, cry, laugh, talk about Toby and most of all, be kind to yourself. You have found lots of people on this forum who understand.

wishing you peace,
brianne

#19 ·
So sorry for your loss of Toby, so hard to lose them. I hope that one day you will feel that you are able to open your heart to another furred one, never to replace Toby but they do help in their own way.

Sleep softly at the Bridge Toby

#20 ·
Should I be mad?

After blood tests at my local vet,he told me take Toby in right now to a big dog hospital,several miles away. After some tests,they had suggested it was his time to go. I held him as he passed,it was awful. Did I want to take his body?No,, Did I want him cremated? Yes.Did I want his ashes? Yes.. The bill came to $642. I paid $400 of it that night.They had no trouble asking when they would receive the rest.I did say next week...
They told me it might take a little longer for me to receive the ashes because of Christmas..Ok,what could I do or say?? Two weeks go by,I hear nothing but do get a bill for the $242. Bill says I have 30 days to pay. Today,one day short of 3 weeks,I call to see where ashes are.I am told over phone that my Toby has not been cremated,because I owe them money.30 minutes after phone call,I was at Pet hospital paying bill in full. At no time was I told that dog wouldn't be cremated till bill was paid.. I'm sick thinking he has just been lying somewhere in that building. I have been crying for almost 3 weeks missing my baby boy,this has started a whole new wave of pain.
Am I wrong?Or should I be upset with hospital and policy?

Attachments

#21 ·
I am so sorry to hear about Toby. What you are going through is dificult enough without dealing with insensitive people. Hopefully you will soon have Toby back with you and that is the most important thing. Rest peacefully Toby.
Carol

#22 ·
You have every right to be upset. That's a bunch of BS, and when you can face it emotionally, you might want to contact the directors of that hospital about their policies and procedures. It's one thing to have the policy, quite another not to let you know it. Don't dwell on Toby's body being there, just remember his spirit flew weeks ago to join our beloved pack of angel pups at Rainbow Bridge, where they are all awaiting a joyous reunion with their people some day. I'm very sorry for your loss; it's an almost impossible heartbreak.....

#25 ·
So very sorry you have had to go through this. They certainly need to look closely at how they care for their clients and at their communication.

Although this has had a massive impact on you George, it hasn't done on Toby, so try hard not to feel an extra pain there, the grief of his loss is bad enough.

I agree with the others- when you feel calmer, you may wish to contact them so they can improve procedure.

Do take care of yourself,
Lyn

#26 ·
No, IMO you are not wrong to be feeling as you do, I would certainly be putting pen to paper in this case. We had a problem with our emergency vet twice, the first time I did nothing because I was too upset, but the 2nd time I did let my feelings known and got an apology and a partial refund - didn't really make me feel better because my girl had gone, but if it stopped a similar incident happening to someone else then it was worth it.

I know that cremation is expensive and can understand why they would not send a body for cremation before payment has been made, BUT this should have been pointed out to you at the time.

Try to think that it was Toby's body at the vets, but it his soul that is running free at the bridge, free from pain. I hope that you soon have your boys ashes home where they belong {{hugs}}

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.