Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Doing my homework but need help

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Thalie 
#1 ·
My husband and I have decided to try to find a Golden puppy to join our household this summer. If not this summer, it would be pushed back to next summer as long as our two princesses are still in good health at that time. We are just a regular household looking for an appropriately bred puppy to be a companion.

As part of the ground work, I read the stickies in this part of the forum and the information on the GRCA website. As a result , I contacted the Puppy Referral GRCA person for the Eastern Region. I must say I was very well received, got a very fast answer, but unfortunately out of the list provided only one breeder is a day-trip driving distance to me. I really would like to be able to go and visit the breeder perhaps before and more so after the litter is born.

Therefore, and on the advice of the Eastern Region Puppy Referral advisor, I turned my eyes to the Dallas area. So, I looked at the DFW GR Club website (which is linked on the Puppy Referral page of the GRCA website) only to see that they did not offer breeder referral. Digging further in posts here, I went to look at this site (DFW Golden Retriever Breeders - Dallas Fort Worth Texas) that contains a list of breeders in the DFW area but still no link to a person who could help me reduce my field of investigation a little.

I looked at the Houston GR Club (Houston is really at the top of the distance I am considering at this point), no referral person there either it seems, just another list of breeders (GHGRC)

Finally I located a very small GR Club much more local to me which led me to still another list of breeders (Texas Golden Retriever Puppies - Breeders in Dallas Fort Worth Austin Houston). Out of that list, I got in touch with two breeders kind of unintentionally, sent them some info on our dogs, our family, and what we were looking for for future puppy and am waiting on whether or not they have plans for breeding in the near future.

I started to methodically look at all those other breeders websites, their "about us"/rationale for breeding, their contracts or other information they provided, their dogs, the dogs' achievements, the dogs' clearances, the dogs' pedigrees, their dogs's forefathers clearances and at this point my head is exploding. I have only been able to list a couple that I know are not for me (the ones who clearly say that they are only breeding for performance homes); I have pages of notes; I have the OFA, CERF, and K9 data websites layout memorized, and I feel I am not making much progress in deciding which ones I also want to contact.

If anybody could help me with recommendations or discommendations I would be grateful. I can send you more info about us if it can help you help me. PMs and e-mails are welcome

Kudos to you if you read through all this.

See less See more
Reactions: LJack
#2 ·
Good luck<:

And don't have a deadline while you are looking - make sure you are comfortable and feel it's the "right thing". It took me about 2 years of interviewing various breeders before I found my Bertie. There were reasons why I didn't go with actually very good and highly recommended breeders.

#4 ·
Well, the princesses are 10 and 8 so as much as I hate to think about it there will come a time when adding a puppy would not be the right thing to do to them. This summer would be perfect, next summer should be possible :crossfing then ... time will tell. Thanks for your input.

You are doing all of the right things. The right puppy will come along! :)
After or before my brain melts ? :D Thanks for the encouragement. I am trying.

#6 ·
I-20 corridor from Dallas to around Vicksburg. South Louisiana to Lafayette. Arkansas to Little Rock. That's about the radius in which I can go and come back home in a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.