Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

New Here and to Goldens!

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ScottyUSN 
#1 ·
My children and I just brought home a sweet 10 month old male golden. He is already fitting in great. We do have one small problem. Our Noah is FAT! I've never seen a young dog this chunky before. He is eating Diamond Puppy Food, I'm pretty sure he is over due for a diet change! That is the first thing on my list quickly followed by clicker training. Any advice for a first time golden mom? He is already neutered, house and crate trained :) Also if anyone can tell me about bedells that would be great. I didn't get him from them but that's what his akc papers have listed. He was also sold to his previous owners not limited registration so I'm guessing puppy mill?

#2 ·
I would switch him to an All Life Stages or Adult food. I would suggest a good quality food, but not a super premium food, as they can be too rich for a lot of dogs. Compare the calorie count on the new and old food and make sure there are less calories in the new food. The guidelines on the food bag are usually over-generous. When changing food, I usually reduce the low recommendation for a weight category and decrease it by 25% to start. eg recommended 2-3 cup/day, i would give 1 1/2 cups per day divided in 2. Remember to use ideal weight not actual weight when calculating. You can also take away up to 1/2 cup of kibble and replace it with unsalted green beans or pure pumpkin. It reduces calories and helps puppy to feel full. You do not say how much the puppy weighs or how tall he is. Seeing pictures would help.

Sorry, I do not use clicker training, many others on here do and hopefully will chime in, and I do not know bedells.

#5 ·
I had to log in from my computer instead of my phone to post a picture. Here is our Noah. He will be 1 on March 23rd. I could only guess his weight at near 70lbs but he is a chunky butt from all the high calorie puppy food. I'm switching him to Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice, I've fed it to boxers in the past with great success. One is Noah and my 7 year old Daughter and the other was taken by my 11 year old daughter while I kept him still with a treat.

Attachments

#6 ·
I missed this thread. Was this boy listed on Craigs List--he looks familiar. Would you mind listing his sire & dam from his registration papers (was it Bedell's Commander & Bedell's May? the rescue had a girl brought in with these parents & looked just like your boy). As only a handful of male goldens in the Bedell lines have had a hip clearance, you're definitely wise to keep Noah's weight in check. Good luck with your pup!

#7 ·
I would definitely enroll him in a basic obedience course as well. Are you in the OKC or Norman areas? I used Sandy Case at Positively Canine off of Britton Rd and I know of others who did Listen Up Pup in Norman. Depending on the schedule, the local GR club has conducted training sessions at the Armory in OKC but you need to check on their training style, I know the other two are positive based trainers.

#8 ·
Welcome from another Okie..

I've been slow rolling the formal training with my boy Bogey awaiting our newest pup who is now home. I have a phone call into Barbara "Listen Up Pup", and plan to follow up after the holiday season regarding Puppy classes with a goal of getting both my boys CGC.

#10 ·
I was thinking the same thing.. Do not expect that boxer like little waist. If he is overweight it's not much judging from the photo.

Careful switching up a GR's diet abruptly, they have sensitive digestion. Was the puppy formula also a lamb based protein?

I'm doing a 50/50 swap off puppy food with my 8 month old Golden right now (chicken to chicken protein), and he is loose stool and gassy as result after a week of transition (I'm sure the holiday table treats aren't helping).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.