Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Bentley's Boot Camp

7K views 83 replies 32 participants last post by  Bentleysmom 
#1 ·
So I had a thread started about this subject ...http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-puppy-up-1-year/123912-i-yelled-bentley-today.html...But I guess I've had blinders on and didn't realize just how bad the situation is so I'm starting this thread so I can keep an eye on his progress. Fun time is O.V.E.R.

This is completely my fault for allowing it to get so out of control but I've taken back the reigns and Bentley is going to learn some manners and he's going to learn them 100%. Nothing less will be excepted.
I'm used to training abused, rescued adults and they are so appreciative that they are more than willing to learn.
I've allowed Bentley to skate on his cuteness and "He's a puppy, it will take time", long enough.

In a nutshell, he has become a bully with Ky and all other dogs he meets. Unacceptable. Ky has completely given up and will not correct him at all so he bites her and body slams her, steals from her and bullies her.
In class he knows all commands and does well. At home he has gotten to the point of "thinking" about it before performing a command. Unacceptable.

Starting yesterday I put him through 10 minutes of training every hour. This will continue today and every day until he gets that he's not the little prince.
I have allowed him to jump on my lap whenever he wants to. That has also stopped. He is now only allowed up with an invitation. He would bring me a toy and I would automatically play with him. Now that also is only at my invitation.

He is understandably confused by the new routine but he will get over it. I have rules and he is going to follow them..to the letter. He is 5 months old now and there is no excuse for his behavior other than the fact that we spoiled him rotten. My fault, I will fix it.
Getting DH trained is going to take a lot of work too. He is already feeling sorry for Bentley but that's not my problem. I didn't put up with my kids misbehaving and I will not raise a bully puppy either.

Bentley's last class is this Wed. He will go to that but then classes are over until I get him trained at home. The trainer has been telling me to leave him and Ky alone to work things out. That didn't work so now I'm doing it my way.

The little prince has lost his throne.

Day 2 begins..................

See less See more
#5 ·
Usually the older dogs let it go to a point, then they start correcting the puppy. It has worked this way for 8 dogs, over 36 years. We usually have 3 dogs at a time.

My first thought was don't stop classes, but the advantage of backing off a few weeks is he will go back to a different group of dogs. That will prevent him sliding into old habits. But take him to the stores and parks, so he is still exposed to others(both people and dogs) so he can practice good behavior.

#8 ·
In the beginning Ky would correct Bentley when he was biting her, probably because it hurt. But she stopped completely. I'm wondering if it's because she doesn't really know how to do it properly. She didn't know how to play, Bentley has been teaching her that. She doesn't understand how to react with other dogs I think because she was always tied to a tree and never, ever interacted with dogs or people until I got her. Either way, I'm going to fix it for her, I owe that to her.
Thanks for the reminder, I will take him out in public as part of his boot camp.

A thought just occurred to me. Yes we spoiled him but he is SO bullheaded and strong willed I'm wondering if this is a combo of being spoiled and genetics?? I just remembered that when we met his dad I was half scared to death. He was HUGE and I walked up to the fence he had a very deep, loud bark. He never stopped barking at us and he acted very intimidating. The breeder tried to tell him to cool it but he totally ignored her. I never gave it a second thought until today. hhhhmmmmm

#7 ·
Don't be too hard on yourself....as a first time puppy owner (as you are also) we made some mistakes with Belle that looking back if/when we get another puppy I would do 100% differently. At least you realized what you wanted to change while he is still young and you have time to alter your course. He will get it - it will just take a little time....but he is smart (almost too smart for his own good) and he will get it....he may not like it at first, but it will become second nature in no time.

#9 ·
Wow, that is so refreshing. Someone saying, there is a problem, I am responsible and I am going to fix it. You are off to a great start, and I look forward to watching his progress. Bentley will do great, training your husband may not be as easy. Good luck Bentley, and I am sure Ky is looking forward to Bentley's "transformation".

#10 ·
good for you, Joyce, for taking the reins! I wish I had just half of your commitment when it comes to training our dogs! I was letting Renny get away with too much since I rescued him. With consistency, he (and I!) are finally learning what's acceptable and what's not.

#13 ·
I was thinking, you said that Ky used to correct him but she has stopped. Perhaps now that he has gotten a little older he has adult teeth and is using a softer mouth and thus isn't biting down so hard and hurting her. Sure, he is being a bully, but a soft-mouthed bully and that is why she isn't correcting as much. I have noticed that Winston still bites Riley just as much but he more "play bites" and uses a softer mouth so he gets corrected less.

#15 ·
Good point! He does have adult teeth and I have drilled the 'soft mouth' into him, that's one thing I haven't slacked off on so he gets it.
He refuses to walk by Ky without reaching over and biting her ear on the way by. Or stealing anything she has and she allows it. She acts like a too lenient mother which is why I'm taking over.
Also, yesterday before I started his boot camp he wanted a bite of my sandwich, I don't allow begging of any kind and he knows it. When I told him to go to bed he reached up and nipped my arm before running to his bed.
That did it. Let boot camp begin :D

#14 ·
I have noticed with Tess that she was much more tolerant when Liza was little. It didn't help that Tess was ill at that time, of course. But now that Liza is getting a big girl (48 lbs), she doesn't put up with most of the nonsense anymore. It depends on what it is about. Like when Liza steals her bone, Tess will start by complaining to me, then walk up to Liza and stare at her (you should see Liza's stare back!) and then just grab the bone. Sometime Liza will snap at her, but I always step in when that happens. But when Liza just starts biting in her fur, she corrects her by working her on the ground and hold her. Usually it's Liza who starts complaining then.
One difference between Tess and Ky is that for Tess, Liza never was a puppy she felt protective of. She let her do her puppy things (like completely ruining her tail) but she would never do as Ky did. I think that Tess and Liza will have a real 'talk/fight' about who is top dog pretty soon...

#16 · (Edited)
I have a mother-daughter pair of goldens. The mom is similar to Ky, in that she was mistreated before she came to us, although certainly not to the extent Ky was. The daughter is 2.5 years and started out like Bentley, thinking the world revolved around her. I was always hoped that Momma would tell off her bratty baby, but she never did until recently. In the fall, they were in a 4 acre field running, and baby kept pulling her mothers front leg out from under her, after about the 6th time this happened, momma had had enough and came up roaring, she chased her baby across the field until they came to me and baby was able to hide behind me, typical bully. It almost seems like the "baby" is now considered an adult and that behaviour is no longer tolerated.

#18 ·
I have a mother-daughter pair of goldens. The mom is similar to Ky, in that she was mistreated before she came to us, although certainly not to the extent Ky was. The daughter is 2.5 years and started out like Bentley, thinking the world revolved around her. I was always hoped that Momma would tell off her bratty baby, but she never did until recently. In the fall, they were in a 4 acre field running, and baby kept pulling her mothers front leg out from under her, after about the 6th time this happened, momma had had enough and came up roaring, she chased her baby across the field until they came to me and baby was able to hide behind me, typical bully. It almost seems like the "baby" is not considered an adult and that behaviour is no longer tolerated.
WOOHOO!!!! Good for mommy!! I keep hoping that Ky will just get fed up and go steal her bone back or put him flat on his back like he does to other puppies but she just doesn't do it.
Maybe it's the fact that I'm much tougher on him right now, I'm not sure but this AM Bentley jumped on Ky's love seat and tried to push her off, she remained where she was and he jumped down. I secretly had a lil party in my head :D

#19 ·
I firmly believe that, while the behavior itself is not genetic, the tendency to push your buttons is. Some dogs are just more easy going than others, some are easier to train than others, some are more stubborn, and so on. You train the dog you have, not the dog you wish you had.
Huge kudos to you for recognizing that you need to deal with this NOW. What you are doing is very similar to the "nothing in life is free" program, which is very successful with dogs who like to push.
This is not directed at you, because you have recognized the issue and are moving on it, but one of my pet peeves is when people excuse behavior because "he/she is just a baby/puppy" etc. They are still saying it when the dog is TWO!!!!
By the time a dog is about 7-8 months old, he has pretty well reached sexual maturity, which makes him about the human equivalent of 12-13 years old. No longer a baby by any stretch!!! More so, a willful, obnoxious teenager, and you really don't want to give an inch with them.
Anyway, good luck, stick to your guns, I'll enjoy reading your progress.

#20 ·
I wonder if Ky wondered what was acceptable correction. I imagine since she was abused she may still be a little insecure esp in new situations and maybe she was unsure of what to do and did not want to do something that would disappoint you so she did nothing....maybe she was getting her cues from you and not being a hard*** as you were not until today when she see that you are being that way so she now knows it is OK and she is standing her ground and keeping her place on the love seat.....just a thought.

#22 ·
Bentley's mom - this is exactly why I'm always in a hurry to start training puppies. I agree with Barb above that it's likely you have a naturally SMART and active puppy who likes to throw his weight around.

And Ky of course is probably very like my Jacks. I came home from church this morning to find a puppy trotting up to me with a tuft of Jacks' tail fur sticking out of his mouth. o_O

How I intend to handle this is cutting back on the amount of time that the two are left alone together. Probably the complicated thing I know is happening right now - and you may experience this....

Because Jacks knows I will step in and correct Bertie, he makes no attempt to correct Bertie himself. He either waits for me to come running, or he comes running to me.

I went through the same thing with Jacks and Danny - and I know Bertie will grow out of it. And my comment re/Bentley is he will grow out of it too.

I totally advise you KEEP him in the classes. But no more classes where the focus is on any other dogs or people or anything besides you. What you described in the other thread is exactly why I'm skipping puppy classes with Bertie. Any puppy playtime or pass the puppy games.... are a huge no-no.

#23 ·
Thank you. See, I've had a problem with that part for the entire 12 weeks of classes. We get there and the puppies are taken off leash to "play" for 15 minutes, then we train for 30 minutes and the last 15 minutes they're off leash again to "play".
Play involves rude behavior which I consistently voice my concern about but everyone there says I'm overreacting and they're "just being puppies". Then Bentley comes home and continues that behavior with Ky.
I'm not bad mouthing the trainer, I just don't want Bentley thinking that behavior is acceptable at class or at home.
I know that Bentley is smart because it amazes me how fast he learns something, the issue is that he only wants to do what he learns when HE decides to do it.

The other thing that confuses me is Ky does correct Bentley when they're outside, I've watched it from the window. But inside she doesn't correct him for anything, ever.

I knew raising a puppy wouldn't be easy but I'm running into things I had no clue about. And I have a very strong willed puppy. All I can do now is try to correct my past mistakes and turn Bentley into the fine GR I know he can be.

#24 ·
Great job! I'm sure Bentley will get it through his thick skull. I think he might be entering that dreaded teenage stage. Sit down, buckle up and hold on for dear life!

Our trainer told us yesterday that between 9-12 months, were the absolute hardest on her and she felt so overwhelmed and unprepared. Which kinda puts into perspective what the teenager months are going to bring.

Bear is starting to "think about it" which I'm going to drill out of him, come hell or high water. :p

Your going to do fantastic! And Bentley is going to end up a model citizen. Cause he's got two awesome Moms. :)

#25 ·
I really love reading your stories about your life with your two dogs, Joyce. I have to admit I giggled a bit reading this, I can hear the love for Bentley in your post. You are such a great owner. I am definitely going to pay close attention to his progress as I have a very strong willed puppy that I know I have to be on top of or she will rule the roost. Now, how well I do that is a different story, lol

#27 ·
We just got back from our boot camp walk. He knows how to loose leash walk so part of the walk I make him heel and the 2nd half I've allowed him to "be a dog" and walk anyway he wants as long as he doesn't pull he can sniff and smell to his hearts content. That was before.
Now I make him heel for the entire walk. No sniffing or smelling or messing around. This is my time and on my time we act like a respectful puppy. When he's on his time he can do things that he wants to do but those times are few and far between at the moment.
I know he's frustrated because he has 3 cardboard boxes that he cherishes, he's had them for months. After our walk he came into the living room and immediately started ripping his boxes to shreds. I just went over without saying a word and picked up the pieces and threw them away then sat back down. It's probably best that he can't speak because he was giving me the stink eye so I can imagine what nasty things he was saying to me in his head.

Mayve: No, Ky used to correct him in front of us and we made sure to not even look in their direction because I wanted her to know she wasn't doing anything wrong.
Now she only corrects him outside when they're alone. I don't know why that is but I do know that her princess house is very special to her and he does everything he can think of to rule it.

#29 · (Edited)
Joyce .....you have a hearty Yay from NZ. Bentley sounds very similar to Loki .....strong-willed, dominant & with a tendency to bully if allowed to get away with it. We spotted that in Loki's nature from about ten weeks old, when he grew bigger than our little papillon, who at 11lbs is a big boy!

As small as he is, Jontay has stood up for himself right from word go ...he will allow Loki a certain amount of leniency, but when he has had enough of being pushed around the room, he will go for it! He will rush at Loki, snapping & barking like crazy for a few seconds ...never biting, just snapping near his face. Loki will almost fall over in surprise/shock. I used to tell Jontay off, but my trainer told me to let him do it, as he needed to know he had our support putting this rude puppy in his place, so now I let Jontay do that, unless he does it just because Loki has accidentally bumped into him when playing with us, or when playing with a toy. Only once has Loki tried to nip at Jontay & I spotted it & yes I yelled at him "Loki stop that!" & he has never done it since ...that was weeks ago.

Loki is the fifth puppy we have raised, but the first time we have raised a puppy on its own. in the past, we have always had two puppies together, which we have actually found easier. We have had to be very firm with Loki from an early age, & he has had some yelling at from time to time, but always gets cuddled when the bad behaviour has stopped & he comes up looking sad & contrite. I have always used Timeout in his ex pen for excessive rudeness which cannot be corrected verbally, or by pulling him away, & he responds very well to Timeout. Nowadays, I often only have to look at him, point to the ex pen & say in a firm voice, louder than usual, Timeout? & he will cease the bad behaviour & lay down on the floor with a chew stick. He hardly ever has to go into timeout now, but when he does, instead of leaping up & barking initially, he just sits quietly & looks up at me ...quite heartbreaking really. I have never had to leave him in Timeout for more than fifteen mins ...usually it is less than five mins & then he comes out well-behaved. If he does start up again, I put him back in for around two mins & let him out, & that has always corrected his bad behaviour. Do you have a safe place you can put Bentley into Timeout for a few mins until he settles down & reflects upon his behaviour? It has worked so well for Loki, so maybe it will work for Bentley too. I guess we all find ways which work for us best ...it is just a matter of finding them.

The first two times Loki attended CGC class, at around fifteen weeks old, his behaviour was not good ...first class he would not leave the only other dog in class alone ...jumping on him, humping him. It was horrible. Second class he met up with lots of small breed puppies of the same age, but so much smaller, & rampaged around the room bowling them over in his excitement, much to my horror & the outrage of everyone else. Yesterday, at his last class of the year, a bunch of new pups was attending CGC class ......& yes, every single one of them was a small-breed puppy or adult dog. We feared the worse, but actually he behaved very well with the way he approached them, much to my relief. The one time he did step out of line & kept going back to a Maltese terrier of a year old who the trainer was working with, after she had gently pushed him him away twice, she Really let him know who was the boss. She pushed him so hard with her hand at the side of his face, that he was forced to step back, but went back to the dog straight away ....& then she pushed him even more roughly, screaming at him "get out". I actually thought she had struck him twice in the face, but my DH said it was more like a really hard shove. I don't know who was more shocked ...Loki or me. But it worked & he trotted off to lay in the shade & contemplate the world from the sidelines! I will be following your progress with interest. As long as firm discipline is coupled with displays of love & praise when Bentley responds, I have no doubt at all that it will go well for you all.

#30 · (Edited)
Dwyllis: Yes, Bentley goes behind the baby gate ie: puppy jail for time outs. He knows the routine, I give him one warning then if he persists I say time out and he walks in there & I close the gate :doh:

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Bentley's breeder. I asked her about Dakota (daddy) because he was HUGE & intimidating when I met him so I'm thinking some of it is genetics. She seemed insulted that I asked. She said Dakota was a typical GR puppy, hard headed, strong willed and hard to teach but when he turned 2 all of that went away and he is the gentle giant that I met :doh:
She said he only behaves that way when strangers are on the property. I asked how much does Dakota weigh she said...wait for it....

162 lbs :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I knew he was huge but................

#31 ·
I no nothing about Bentley's breeder, no idea who it is, but I have not found that to be the case "....typical GR puppy, hard headed, strong willed and hard to teach..." with TYPICAL golden retriever puppies. Generally they are sweet, willing, and very easy to teach.
I can't believe his father is that big! That's, well, shameful.

#32 ·
I just looked up the height for a male GR. It says, 22-24" at withers. She said Dakota is 162 lbs and 28". She said they come from "big stock" WTH does that even mean???
Sounds to me like I'm going to have to start piling away even more money than I thought for Bentley's possible health problems :doh:

hotel4dogs: He comes from a BYB because I didn't know any better until I found this site. I'm shaking inside now. I have read enough on here to know to expect health issues but now that I see the size discrepancy, I'm down hearted. Poor Bentley.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.