Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Question regarding supplements

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  o0Shaz0o 
#1 ·
I have been feeding Vinnie Simply Nourish Chicken & Brown Rice since I weaned him of the breeders food. I started with the puppy formula and switched him to the adult formula at 4 1/2 months. He does very well on it and he has a good looking coat with minimal shedding.

My questions are as follows:

1. Because this is not a large breed food ( they don't make one) should I give him a joint supplement and if yes, what do you suggest.

2. Should I give him fish oil or any other supplements for his coat and general health.

I want to make sure I give him the best chance to grow up healthy and protect his joints. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not looking to replace his food. I just want to supplement if necessary.

Please be specific on the products you recommend because I know very little about this topic.

Thanks!

Here is the nutritional info on his food:

Ingredients:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Brown Rice Flour, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Carrots, Dried Spinach, Dried Sweet Potato, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Blueberries, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-ascorbyl-polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein Not less than 24.0%
Crude Fat Not less than 13.0%
Crude Fiber mg/kg Not more than 5.0%
Moisture Not less than 10%
Calcium Not less than 1.2%
Phosphorus Not less than .90%
Potassium Not less than 0.60%
Zinc Not less than 175 mg
Selenium Not less than .30 mg/kg
Vitamin A Not less than 20,000 mg/kg
Vitamin E Not less than 200 mg/kg
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* Not less than 3.0%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* Not less than 0.70%
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)*Not less than 200 IU/KG
Beta carotene*Not less than 5.0
Lycopene* Not less than 1.0 mg/kg
Feeding Instructions:

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm on the fence about this as well. I hear different things when it comes to supplements, and I have a sample of GreenDog Naturals Healthy Motion tablet, but I've been told by quite a few people that I should wait til the 1yr mark. I'm definitely all for protecting his health, but only at the right time.

#3 ·
I give Molly Cosequin DS (for joints) and fish oil (Kirkland brand) but I am thinking about switching to wild salmon oil. We started this early, around 5 months. Her vet has no problem with it. It can't hurt, it would only help. Plus, it is inexpensive. Regardless of what food you feed, I think joint supplements are always a good idea. The glucosamine and chondroitin in dog food is not enough.

#5 ·
I feed regular Wellness, not Large breed and switch over at four months. Mine get dasuquin w/msm at 8 weeks of age on. The fish oil I feed is capsules, so she has to be a minimum of 30 lbs. I have used the oil in oil form and it is just too messy and smelly to me....

#10 ·
Beamer gets Lactoquil (a probiotic) a few times a week, and then a daily Synovi G4 chew (glucosamine, condrotin and MSM) chew and a daily capsule of fish oil. Both our labs get the Synovi and fish oil. I just started with the lactoquil this week.

#12 ·
Rain just gets salmon oil for now. I was told not to use a joint supplement until there actually is a joint issue, but the vet also said it wouldn't hurt to give one, just saves money. My Chi has luxating patellas so im going to start her on a hip and joint supp, I might give Rain some too

#17 ·
The fish oil is human grade- I get it from costo. The synovi chews and lactoquil I get from work specifically made for dogs.

#19 ·
Thanks for the helpful hints in here everyone. I may start giving Maverick fish oil, his paws seem to get swollen more often during this wet season. He'll do with ACV, but I don't think he enjoys it at all as he takes 3 or 4 min to eat his meal with ACV on it compared to less than a minute without. I like that he eats slower, but I can tell he doesn't enjoy the ACV. Doesn't mind drinking it after I soak his paw in it though, must taste better with dirt:doh:

#22 ·
Buddy likes his ACV coated kibbles. If I run out and he doesn't get it on his kibble he eats super slow.

The actually ate into a bottle of white vinegar at my parents and mom found him drinking from the bottle. Every time he sells vinegar he comes running.

Vinegar = Food to him!

#24 ·
Reasons why Buddy gets ACV

Hot spot treatment and prevention- Buddy has a hot spot mess before I started him on it. Treating new ones almost daily. Now maybe 1 if that a month :)

Flea, tick, and yeast prevention- Buddy is horribly allergic fleas and ticks which trigger his hot spots. He had a killer yeast infection in his ears and yeast can cause hot spots. ACV makes his more acidic so not a pleasant environment for critters to live on :)

Breaks down calcium deposits in joints and reminerlizes bones- Great for arthritis and HD (which it is believed Buddy has)

Aids in digestion and he did have a sensitive tummy prior to starting it.

#25 ·
Thanks everyone!
I am defiantly going to start Vinnie on fish oil and apple cider vinegar. ( I already have some Bragg's on hand) I like balsamic vinegar on green beans so I think ill try to mixing it with green beans on the side at dinner time for Vinnie. I did switch to the large breed formula for his food and that should be sufficient for his joint care at his young age.

#26 ·
I must be lucky, Lincoln eats anything and everything I put into his bowl. He licks ACV like its water (when I was giving it to him), inhaled the coconut oil....takes his unflavoured thyroid meds like its candy...loves eating the Flagyl I gave him when he needed it haha

As for supplements I do nothing but food, thyroid meds and Osteo3 Joint supplement and antibiotics etc when he needs them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.