Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
18K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Dede 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a responsible breeder in southern ca to add a golden puppy to our family. We really want a healthy dog from healthy parents with all of the health clearances.

Anyone have any positive or negative info about the following breeders (or any other breeders you could recommend or advise to avoid)?

Sierra Goldens sierragoldenretrievers.com
Ebbert Golden Retrievers ebbertretrievers.com
Chadwick Goldens chadwicksgoldens.com
Autumnwind Goldens Autumnwindgoldenretrievers.com

Any feedback or advice would be great!
Thank you!!!

#3 ·
Sierra - no registered names on the site to verify their claim for clearances, links to massive puppy broker site

Ebbert - talks the talk but doesn't appear to be walking the walk--states clearances are in place, but the one golden they have listed Savvy doesn't have clearances & they're claiming her to be an "English Cream" which nothing more than a marketing ploy

Chadwick - incomplete clearances & evidence breeding bitches before age 2 (Shilah). Pics of their bitches don't do anything to represent the dog well, dogs hunched over.

Autumnwind - clearances appear to be in place & they're doing more than just pumping out puppies

#7 ·
To the OP, as I mentioned in the other thread, Autumnwind is a friend of mine. Sparkle is a half sister to my Jack actually. They are definitely reputable and I know all clearances are in order on this litter. That being said, I am not sure there are puppies available so I would contact her sooner rather than later if you are interested.

#12 ·
Cathie Turner at Sunbeam is an excellent breeder, and I think she has a litter on the ground now. Also, I think Sharon Shilkoff has a litter, or soon will. If you want a boy, I know of a beautiful one that is available out of one of my favorite local champions, and can go home in a few weeks. PM me for details.

#16 ·
I would stay away from Sierra and Ebbert. I contacted them before I was given a referral to a reputable breeder.

Ebbert's Savannah is going to be bred to Sheriff. I tried getting his pedigree name and they never responded.

As for as Sierra when I asked for their pedigree names their response...

Me:"Do they have OFA clearances? If so, may I look the dogs up?"
Sierra: "Do u look it up on the akc website? I can send u copies of the pedigrees"

So....I took that as a huge red flag that if they didn't know how to look up OFA clearances they probably were not the breeder that I was looking for. They may love their immensely and may have very healthy dogs but I just wasn't willing to take that risk.

#17 ·
Thank you for your response...

May I ask the breeder you ended up being referred to?

Both of these breeders say they can provide the clearances in person. Is it a problem if they are not listed online, but they can provide them in person? I'm simply looking for a healthy dog to add to my family, not a dog to show or breed.

#19 ·
I realize you're looking for a pet, but hopefully this post by LJack puts things in perspective.

This is a statement that a lot of puppy buyers make. I don't want a show dog or a proformance dog, why should I care about champions or performance titles in the pedigree?

1. When you buy from a breeder who is actively competing and showing, they are out there in the fancy. They are talking to other breeders, attending seminars, gaining knowledge of structure, heritable diseases, bloodlines and care. This means they are not working in a vacuum.

2. Breeders who compete are actively looking to improve their line. That litter they are producing is one they are hoping will produce the next step in their program. They are working for themselves. You reap the benefit since there are usually a small number of show quality, the rest are pets. Ever hear the addage you work harder when your selfemployed? It is the same philosophy here.

3. Structure, structure structure. Breeders who compete will have more structurally sound dogs. In addition the core four clearences, the dog's structure will determine if it will live most of it's life comfortable with activity or not able to go and do because of structural break down. This is where those Champion titles really come in. Champions are not judged on beauty, but it is a really nice by-product.;) They are judged on structure, angulation, movement, etc. Your pet puppy will benefit from these attributes.

4. Temperament. I want a dog that comes from stock that has been out in the world doing something. Dogs who compete and title not only prove themselves in that venue, but also that they can handle life beyond their home. Dogs that stay at home may have great temperaments but, how do they behave away from home in stressful conditions. Dogs that compete are exposed to these stresses and succeed.

5. My vanity. Okay, it is hard to look at a golden puppy an not think what a cutie! But, if I have chosen to buy a puppy and not rescue, I want my dog to be gorgeous. Call it vain, but that is what I want.:D I know that with parents that are proven in competition that is going to run in the line. I want things like proper coat, dark pigment, great structure, lovely top lines, fantastic headpieces, and lovely expression.

I hope this helps. So many folks who have only watched shows or see Westminster on TV only see the absolutely gorgeous dogs an come to equate them to beauty pageants. They were started an continue today as a venue in which you can evaluate your breeding stock as compared to the ideal dog of your breed.

#20 ·
If they provide the registered names or registration numbers you should be able to verify the clearances online independently. The GRCA Code of Ethics recommend all clearances be posted to a public database which most commonly used is OFA. Even if hips were accomplished by penhip, CERF eyes & a cardiologist cleared heart wasn't sent in, at the very minimum elbows should be showing on the offa.org website as OFA is the only means to clear elbows in the states. In addition, if this is a breeder on the "English Cream" bandwagon using dogs imported from Eastern Europe--clearances should still be accomplished in the U.S. which again should be able to be checked online.

#23 ·
I am working with Autumnwinds. Sparkle just had a litter in November. This is my first experience with a breeder. I really like her. She is very knowledgable and cares a great deal for her pups and litter. We are set to adopt towards the end of January and so far very happy with this choice. I spoke to many breeders and this litter was my top choice due to lineage of both Sparkle and the sire and the breeders willingness to work closely with us.
Best of luck to you!

#32 ·
@PeggyDL I was wondering how was your experience with Autumn Wind Golden retrievers. I was planning on getting a golden retriever soon and I have already taken the questionnaire on their site. However before going any further with this breeder I wanted a take from someone who has already been involved with this breeder i.e. the responsiveness of the breeder, the living conditions of the puppies, the price and if there is a lasting relationship with the breeders after time has pasted from the acquiring of the newest member of the family.

#28 ·
Sunbeam Golden in Sylmar (Valley)

Ialso have a Sunbeam Golden. He is my baby. He is now 2 years. I wouldn't trade him for a million dollars. I have had Goldens since 1983. My first was a Gold Rush. 2 nd was a wonder rescue. 3 rd guy. My Bandit. My angel was also a Gold Rush. Al were with me 15 + short years.
I very highly recommend Carhie Turner and Sunbeam Goldens. This woman is top of the top in knowledge and the breed. You can't do any better....
Good luck
:wave:

#29 ·
Ialso have a Sunbeam Golden. He is my baby. He is now 2 years. I wouldn't trade him for a million dollars. I have had Goldens since 1983. My first was a Gold Rush. 2 nd was a wonder rescue. 3 rd guy. My Bandit. My angel was also a Gold Rush. Al were with me 15 + short years.
I very highly recommend Carhie Turner and Sunbeam Goldens. This woman is top of the top in knowledge and the breed. You can't do any better....
Good luck
:wave:
Who are the parents of your baby??? My Gambler is from Hawthrone and Hutton. Cathie is the greatest!
My first goldens had a lot of GoldRush They were from Harbor City Goldens and My-Magical Goldens.

#30 ·
Sunbeam Goldens

Hi. Hope this is going to the kind person who asked me who Bentleys parents are. U can e mail or FB me too. Nina Kaminkow.
Sure is: Ch your Cheaten Heart. Dam is; new Yor State of Zmind. Bentley is 2 years. My field baby. Brandon was a Rancho dr oro Hold Rush. CH Gold Rush Charlie was his father. I never show my dogs. I only wanted healthy sound dogs. But. I do know Cathie is the best u can't get any better. Any more honest and more knowledge. This woman is most most respected in South Ca and all over...
N

#31 ·
Sunbeam Goldens

Hi. Hope this is going to the kind person who asked me who Bentleys parents are. U can e mail or FB me too. Nina Kaminkow.
Sire is: Ch your Cheaten Heart. Dam is; new Yor State of Mind. Bentley is 2 years. My first baby. Brandon was a Rancho d oro Gold Rush. CH Gold Rush Charlie was his father. I never show my dogs. I only wanted healthy sound dogs. But. I do know Cathie is the best u can't get any better. Any more honest and more knowledge. This woman is the most respected in Southern Ca and all over...
N

#33 ·
@LexyP,
I absolutely love our breeder, Autumnwinds! Our baby is gonna turn 1 year old at the end of the month and we have been thrilled! We have a good relationship with the breeder and keep in touch. I would be more than happy to speak to you on the phone to address any questions and share our experience. My cell number is 408-391-3976. Feel free to contact me any time!
Best,
PeggyDL

#34 ·
Dana,
It was such a pleasure to speak to your wife yesterday. I have a potential puppy from Sierra, they have sent me pictures of clearances but im not sure what im looking at, can I send them your way and get your opinion? I cant figure out how to attach them to this message, thanks for your time

#35 ·
Looking for an American.Why so many English?

I had a gorgeous handsome American golden male with no English Cream to make him so lovely and big. Now all I see a lot are English Creams bred to American goldens. What gives?
All I want is a big healthy golden boy with no cream. I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. Even sleuthing around other posts finding names of breeders I often wind up with breeders mixing English cream with American. I'm just looking for a big American golden not the field kind with no English cream.Is that too much to ask? It just makes it harder to find. Rant over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.