Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Does anyone have a nice dog!!!

7K views 83 replies 62 participants last post by  Sadie53 
#1 ·
Hi, all I read on this forum is about Devil Dog's Hounds from Hell!!! I am really starting to wonder if I did the right thing purchasing a Golden. I am ready to sell him!!! He is pretty good now but, all these problems makes me worry. Good God, all the biting and bad behavior makes you wonder??? What did I get myself into??? So, please does anyone have good stories?? Ugh..... Spent a good buck on my dog and hate to take a loss but, I am nervous. Please some good stories might help!:confused:

#28 ·
My golden Tally is a dream dog, and has been since puppyhood. He is honest, attentive, playful, bright, healthy, easy to train and easy to love! I have owned 11 goldens, and all have been wonderful dogs who credit the breed except one who took a ton of work but then became a true golden. I think sometimes a golden is not the right fit for some owners rather than the dog being a hell hound.

#29 ·
Jack is a wonderfull,loving ,sweet dog.Sweetie had a rough start to life and has now"come out of her shell" she's still a pup at 10 months but she has never had the land shark phase although she is still always wanting food & will surf if not watched also shoes have to be watched.But there has never been a more loving dog after I get her some exercise.I agree plenty of exercise helps alot.Don't get me wrong about a year & 1/2 ago I was the one on here begging for help.Now I just brag too much!You'll be rewarded for your hard work trust us

#30 ·
I have two fantastic dogs, both are Rescues that I adopted at the age of two. One came from a GR Rescue and the other from my County Humane Society.

The each had a few issues but we were able to work through them. They are both wonderful, loving, sweet and gentle family members. We are very lucky to be able to share our life with them.

#31 ·
You know, Mosby is a crazy, energetic, lively goon, but I have never once thought he was a bad dog. As a puppy, he never once destroyed anything, chewed on something that wasn't his; he never was a nippy, bitey puppy (granted, we work from home and supervise him constantly, and we worked on soft mouth exercises from the beginning). Even when he hit teenage-dom, he didn't start pulling at the leash, biting at the leash; he didn't start chewing then or marking in the house. The only real thing that he did was stop listening to us (like a typical human teenager) - we'd ask him to "sit", and he'd turn his head away as if to say "I can't hear you".

Yes, if you take him near water all manners go out the window and he pulls and yells and screams to go swimming. Yes, he has strong prey drive and can't help but chase all the rabbits out of our yard. Yes, he will 50% of the time try and jump up to greet someone (it used to be 100%) - but this is our fault as we let him jump on us. But with the proper training and exercise he is becoming the most amazing dog I could ever ask for.

#32 ·
I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if someone already said this, but remember people often come to internet forums, or search online, because they are having issues. So I think you see a more than average representation of problem dogs. Also, no one really posts on a frequent basis, "gee my dog is great, he didn't do anything wrong today".
I have wonderful, well trained goldens.

#40 ·
I would love to post all day about how great each of my goldens is, but am afraid it would sound like bragging!:)

#34 ·
We have had 6 goldens over the years and some of our puppy days were harder than others BUT the results after getting through those days were wonderful beyond belief. The love, the loyalty, the patience they gave is amazing. I spent many hours in classrooms and hospitals while they spread they love to others. They snuggled and played and brought smiles to my face in the time of need. There is no other love like a golden. We have been so many places with Gambler recently where people walk over to us just to compliment us on how well behaved he is. He makes me proud. I imagine we could hear hundreds of happy great stories about our goldens.

#35 ·
At present I have three nice dogs. In fact all of my goldens have been nice. But I will say my youngest, Tugg has been the biggest challenge so far. He is far more dog than I bargained for. I was hoping he would get some of his Daddy's mellowness and laid back temperament. The field part of his pedigree is evident in his activity level, drive, and his looks. He does love all other dogs and every person he has met, but is an extremely high energy dog who definitely needs a job or he finds himself something to do, and not always good things. He is now one, has tremendous potential, and I do think is starting, at least a little bit to settle down. I think with time and maturity he will be eventually calm down. I will say our obedience instructor, a very experienced multiple Otch competitor, and a great teacher, looked at me once when she she was working with him for me in one of our private lessons, and said, wow, he is one tough dog. Yes, he is.

Reactions: Deber
#36 ·
You always hear of the worst of things... and the best of things are not often spoken of. My Lola who is now two is the most sweet gentle loving smart dog I have ever owned. Not a bad bone in her body! She never chews things up, never messes in the house, and does not bark or dig. I can not think of one thing she does that is wrong at all. Mind you this is my first golden. I have had other dogs who had issues who were not goldens. We adopted Lola at 11 months and even then she was just wonderful! Had a little issue with jumping up on us at first.. but with gentle correction she no longer does that.

#37 ·
I have two very nice dogs. Tess, my three year old, was a biting machine as a pup. The first puppy class we took her to, I was covered in scratches and bruises up to my elbows. Training helps! I took her to lot of obedience and agility classes, which she really enjoyed. Now she is a therapy dog. And little Liza still is a work in progress. She has her moments, but usually she is a silly, sweet Golden puppy, very vocal and very attached to us.

#38 ·
Bridget just turned a year in November, and let me tell you...some days I had my doubts...especially on the days when I got bit and bled profusely...lol

But now, she's starting to settle, she's in a routine.....

SOOO glad I stuck it out..........although I never ever would have gotten rid of her, I'm just not that type.

I always think of how awful and heartbreaking it would be for a dog to be re-homed after they love you.

Stick it out, it gets better.

#39 ·
Through all the trials and tribulations with my boy Bear, I wouldn't trade it for the world! Each day it seems something gets easier and better. Sure, we have our setbacks, but my love for him knows no bounds. He is 100% "my" dog. Obeys me 98% of the time, trains extremely easy, is an example dog in class more often then not, and follows me around adoring me. It's rather odd for me to say adoring but I have no other way to describe it. He'll lay down, face the same way as I am and lean his head back to just stare at me. His eyes will glisten and his tail with slowly thump and the minute I say "I love you" he's on his feet giving me kisses.

The happy and frustrated moments during puppyhood help you get to the fantastic moments in adulthood. You have to work to unearth the diamond in the rough. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#41 ·
My Finn grew up in a prep school, a boarding school at which I taught English. Even as a youngster, he was such a good golden he could come to English classes every day, and learned the bell system. When kids in the dorm were homesick or worried about grades/ relationships etc, they could bury their faces in his coat, and Finn would curl right up. My golden Raleigh was so good when I coached soccer, he knew to run the tape up and down the field but would not step over . He traveled on the varsity girls tennis bus to away matches. My golden Joplin, best of all dogs, would run with me and the varsity ski team through West Hartford CT with no leash and was allowed at the ski resort where we trained. He also always came to English class and summer camp. I have never had a golden who needed to be leashed on campus, or on hikes to stay right with me.

#43 ·
Hank is my second Golden, they have become my breed of choice. Neither of mine have been a challenge other than the typical puppy stuff. They have never been destructive (other than their own toys) but I can tell you stories about and show you pics of the destruction caused by my BIL's Lab, my brother's Maltipoo, DD's SIL's Boxer and my neighbour's Goldendoodle!

#44 ·
I 've had several dogs but Jess is by far "la creme de la creme". He was a very easy puppy, and at almost three, in between walks he's napping or following me around. He's also my Sous Chef, my trail guide , my constant companion. He rarely barks, but does like to get the day started a tad early. Good thing we're both morning creatures.

#45 ·
I currently have 4 awesome goldens :)

Casey (almost 12)
Faelan (5)
Towhee (4)
Brady (4 1/2 months)

Start their training while they are young, train them gently and provide both mental and physical outlets and you should have a great dog too :)

#46 ·
I have a great dog.
I adopted him when he was nine months old. He'd spent those nine months being abused, starved, and living outside in near neglect (besides being abused). He'd never been in a home before and wasn't house-trained, leash-trained, crate-trained, and had food issues (from being starved).

He was in his foster home for only three days before I adopted him. He was house-trained in half a day. He learned his new name in a day. He learned 'rules of the house' within a week.
Loose-leash walking was hard for him, but now he walks so nicely my mom (who only outweighs him by 20 lbs) is comfortable walking him. He doesn't pull or lunge at squirrels or bunnies or cats anymore. He rarely barks. He sleeps in until I decide to wake up (and often he only wakes up to eat and pee, then goes back to bed). He's uber low-maintenance. His food issues are non-existent. Even with raw food, he gives up his meals to anyone who asks.

He loves children and people. I never have to worry about him with little kids. He actually knew when my friend was pregnant before she did. She came over and he wouldn't stop resting his head on her belly. 2 days later, she found out she was pregnant. Now when she and her baby come over, Ranger follows the baby around and rests his head on the baby's lap. He barks when he thinks the baby is "in danger".

He knows an insane amount of tricks. His latest one is getting the paper every day. He can find his leash and bring it to me. He brings me my shoes. He even brings me my purse.

Best of all, he's the best foster brother to the puppies we take in every summer. He's patient, kind, and gives the shy ones confidence. He plays rough with his 90 lb best buddy, but plays soooo gently with the foster puppies.

Basically, my dog is awesome.

Here he is with foster sister Sahara.

#47 ·
Thanks, for all the responses!! I am not going to sell my pup.LOL Just worried. I did purchase from a good breeder and his parents came from champion show lines. They both were super laid back and good with kids. He really is not a bad puppy. I am adjusting to the new lifestyle. I know people go on this forum to talk about issues but, good grief makes you wonder sometime. I spend a ton of time with my pup so, he grows to be a well adjusted adult. He is the smartest dog I ever owned. I would not give this a second thought but I have grandkids and makes you more aware. I NEVER will leave them unsupervised at any time too many people trust dogs 100% but, a the end of the day they are animals. I am really glad to hear some wonderful feed back. I purchased him also with the thought in mind for doing Obedience trial,agility....I showed horses for 33 years so, I have put the time and dedication into my animals. I provide the best posible care I can give. He really is a delite and everydays gets easier. Glad to hear other people felt the same way. Thank you, everyone and have a Merry Christmas!!!

#48 ·
Truly the first year is the hardest behavior wise. Our first dog chewed on everything if you weren't staring right at him - including a windowsill while we were eating dinner in the same room!! But the next 10 1/2 years of his life he was amazing!!
You have to correct them when they are doing something wrong - every time! Charlie is 6 months old now and while I won't leave him uncrated when we aren't home or sleeping, he is a very good dog. He's now to the point that shoes and slippers can be left out - he likes to put his nose in them but never chews them. He has furniture he's allowed on and furniture he's not and he knows the difference. He also stays out of our laundry room where the cat food/litter box are. Outside he'll eat anything he can get his mouth on which is a problem, but he's learning.
Puppies just have a lot of growing up to do and go through so many stages so quickly. Don't be discouraged!

#49 ·
I have a picture somewhere of Max at about 3 months old with his head in my husband's slipper. I have a knitting project in every room of the house, he never touched the yarn but once, I told him no and that was that. He chewed on the kitchen chair leg once, Bitter Apple took care of that. Not every puppy is difficult.

#51 ·
When Bridget first came to our home, it sure was a rough go...biting me jumping on my, grabbing me........full of energy! AND that was AFTER she was exercised twice a day!
I also read the posts on this forum and thought "My golly, what have I gotten myself into? I though Goldens were such docile creatures..." silly me..

I even had a personal trainer come to our home at $90 a crack...youch.
NOW I know better.
It takes some Goldens a LONG time to settle, and get with the program.
BUT, classes, giving them work to do, following through, etc. makes a huge difference.

I now can "see" the lady that Bridget is going to be, and I am so proud of how she is maturing and coming along.

I've had labs and English Setters in the past which were good dogs, but this one, I think, is a brainiac! So smart!

#52 ·
My dog will be 2 in March. We went through some rough puppy stages with him chewing anything and everything! Even chewed right through our wall. We also learned a lot about him through out that stage. But he is a wonderful dog! That stage has subsided and he is such a sweet heart. He is still a ball of energy, but he is so well behaved and such a good big brother (we have a 7 year old and 8 month old). He literally is one of my children. Like any dog, the puppy stage is usually the worst! You just need to stay on the pup and keep up with the training! If we would not have kept up on everything with Bronson he would be a nut!

#53 ·
I'm here to tell you that I FELT THE EXACT SAME WAY! If you go back and look at my posts from a little over a year ago, you'll see. When Wrigley was a pup, I had a nervous breakdown from his puppiness (nipping, whizzing, general bad behavior), my kids abandoned me because of the puppiness and my husband works all day ... I went into my doctors office and completely lost it and he put me on valium because I couldn't sleep and my stomach was in knots so bad, I dropped almost 20 pounds because I couldn't eat. Now, dog owners, don't judge ... seriously ... I've never had a dog in my life. I'm a cat person. I'm also not a type A at all. It would have been easy for me to send Wrigley back, but I was determined and now he's still a goofy dog, but thanks for THE MOST WONDERFUL TRAINER and a dog daycare, he is still with us a year and a half later. My trainer was a constant support for me and dog daycare GAVE ME DAYS OFF when I needed them. I would put him in about one day a month and now I only use it if I have school activities for the day. If it weren't for those 2 things, we wouldn't have a dog.

My advice ... get a trainer, use the crate and if you have a dog daycare in your area, use it. Dog daycare made Wrigley so tired that when we got home, I could give him the loving affection that he needed without the stupid puppy behavior. The only way Wrigley figured out he liked to be petted and loved on was when he was exhausted.

He still acts stupid sometimes, but now, I can take him to a big field and let him run loose and he won't bolt off into the great unknown. He always looks for me and now, I have to admit ... I kinda like him now.:) He does tricks, he comes when he's called. I figured out he is food motivated. He sleeps like a trooper and loves his crate. This took MONTHS!

My only issue I have at this point is our cats. It's not working out with one of them at all. Our young, almost 3 year old cat, male, sprays ... it's sad. We tried to socialize them and when Wrigley was a puppy, Teddy would bat his nose and it would be done. But now Wrigley is an 80+ pound dog and Teddy is still about 10 pounds and scared to death of him. Wrigley doesn't even try to slowly approach. He sees Teddy, he goes into a frenzy to chase him. I don't know if it's playing, but I think Wrigley remembers getting boxed and now he's doing a "HA, I'M BIGGER THAN YOU, BOX ME NOW!" thing. In fact, this morning, Wrigley had him cornered and Teddy sprayed all over the place ... when that happened, Wrigley backed off and Teddy was able to escape into the basement ... where he sprayed some more. We are at our wits end on that one. Advice?

#54 ·
I have two of the best dogs in the world!

Brady was very trying in the first few months, so different from previous puppies I had raised. Those first few months I was exhausted, probably more so than when my children were newborns.

Once he reached that 8 month mark, I almost took him to the vets for a physical. It was like over night something clicked, and he is awesome. He is so great that two and half years later, we went out and rescued another one! You will notice that happens a lot, you just can't have one!

MacKenzie was a great puppy, we got her a little older and she had been a rescue that was being fostered. She was a breeze to raise.

At this point, I actually would not mind getting a third.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.