Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

New to agility

668 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gwen_Dandridge 
#1 ·
I've just started Maddie with a couple of private agility lessons. So far she is having a great time and seems to like it. My question is: how often do dogs get hurt in agility?

Is this like kickboxing (or football) for dogs where the accident rate can be high or is it more like waterpolo where the damage is less?

AND, any suggestions for a beginner starting out?

#2 ·
The important thing is not to do much jumping till the growth plates are done about 18 months. To much jumping to early can cause injury and really teach them the solid safety of touching every contact zone every time. I personally have never heard of a dog getting injured unless they over jumped them as puppies or did not firmly enforce the contacts.
You can teach them to jump younger but the jumps must be really really low and not done very often.

#3 ·
I was watching the videos of agility accidents and getting freaked. Glad to hear that it is rare. Yes, she is very young so I will be wary of the jumps.

#4 ·
Accidents can happen any time you walk out the door. The more activities you do the higher the risk. Personally I think throwing tennis balls for my dogs is the most dangerous thing I do!

I have seen very few bad accidents in my time. I trial around 25 times per year and I have seen 2 serious injuries. Minor things like slipping or face plants happen pretty often. Bigger things like crashing a jump or falling off a contact happen now and then, but the dogs normally keep right on running.

The important thing is teach safe obstacle performance. Not doing anything above the dogs skill level or that is not age appropriate.

Have fun!

#5 ·
Thanks. Lest you guys think I'm a nervous type, I rock-climbed for a number of years and jumped horses and solo backpacked, so I don't truly live the careful, rocking chair life. I just ended up in the hospital after a few weeks of kickboxing a year or so ago. It did get my attention. Yes, at my age you would think I would know better, but...sigh...I didn't. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.