Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Thinking about getting a Golden - What to consider

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Brave 
#1 ·
I live in Central Missouri and I might be buying a pet.

My name is Garrett and I live in Central Missouri. I am honestly 13 years old. My parents and me have a Chinese Pug. But I told them that I will probably be on the search for GR (Golden Retriever) as I've always wanted one and would be interested in getting one.

I can't find any purebred (I'd like to have a purebred) GR's in my area. I checked Petfinder.com. I really don't have a big amount to work with (probably $1,000 tops.)

I know there will not be much selection for $1,000. I can't seem to find a GR for sale in the area. A couple months ago there was a GR at the city pound that was advertised but since has disappeared from the papers.

We might get it next summer or fall. This will allow for us to save money.

Is there anything about GRs that I should know about?

Sincerely,
Garrett

P.S. Sorry if I put this in the wrong category. I'm new here.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know there are much more reputable members who have been through this process much more than I have, but here's what to consider first:

First thing is first: Do you have the funds to purchase/support a dog? This site will tell you a little more

Though it says $800, getting a puppy will be even more! I've read it ranged from 1200-3900$ for the first year! On top of that, you'll have to pay the institution you adopt the puppy from (shelter or breeder).

2.) Is everyone on board? No issues? Any issues with even a single member of the household could be a problem, especially with an adult.

3.) Do you have the time? The first year will require lots of time training, cleaning, and playing with the puppy! First few weeks might even require you to wake up multiple times in the middle of the night to take care of "business." Training classes also require transportation, unless you train your pup yourself, which will require more time. Exercise DAILY. Feed DAILY.

4.) Interlinked with #3 is keeping to a schedule. Make sure your pup is used to a schedule.

5.) There are multiple sources to get a puppy from, such as, petfinder, pet stores, backyard breeder, etc. I would advise against those, but instead look for a reputable breeder with these health clearances. Follow this guide.

There's a lot to consider, consider these articles:

article 1

Article 2

Please, make sure your parents are completely on board before you do anything, in terms of reading these articles, financial commitments, time commitments, and noises/damages that could arise. Make sure they're well informed.

Good Luck, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in soon.

#3 ·
There are Golden Retriever Rescue groups that are less expensive than buying from a good breeder, and you get the benefit of an older dog who will probably already be house trained, at the least. Young goldens need a lot of time and attention to train and 'civilize'. If you spend any time here, you'll see a lot of threads about young dogs biting, chewing and jumping. To some extent they grow out of it, but mostly they need to be trained out of it.

The cost of getting a dog will include not just the purchase, but also vet bills for shots, possibly neutering (unless you get the dog from rescue, in which case they usually take care of that for you), regular vet care and emergency vet care (i.e. if they eat something they shouldn't), monthly heartworm pills and flea/tick treatment, toys, bedding, a crate, and training. Obviously, the first year is the most expensive, but even a healthy dog will cost about $1000 year. They can live to be 12-14 years old.

Goldens are generally a fairly high energy dog, especially young ones. They need exercise every day - walks, playtime, swimming, etc. They are family dogs, and generally not happy being left alone outside for long periods of time. They want to be with their people. They do well with training, enjoying the challenge of learning new things. We've done obedience, agility and tracking with our GR. He's not particularly good at any of them, but he does enjoy class time.

#5 ·
How much would a 4 year old Golden Retriever cost on average?

How much would a puppy golden retriever cost on average?

How much would it cost to maintain one every year? I'm pretty sure it would not take $1,000 to maintain them every year.
It all depends. What if the dog came down with a chronic disease? I paid more than that a year in meds for my Cody.

#6 ·
How much would a 4 year old Golden Retriever cost on average?

How much would a puppy golden retriever cost on average?

How much would it cost to maintain one every year? I'm pretty sure it would not take $1,000 to maintain them every year.
I'm pretty sure it would not take $1,000 to maintain them every year. I would plan on at least 1000$. Food alone for my GR is around 660$ Add on the annual vet visit, toys/cleaning supplies, training treats and you're at 1000$.

Usually a puppy will cost more than a 4 year old because of the initial expenses (heartworms, 8wk 12 wk 15 wk shots rabies/ then lyme/lepto/kennel cough if you choose - would be 250-500$ depending on your location) Buying all the supplies - 100-400$ depending on how much of a bargain shopper you are. Puppy training (150-300$ for 8 weeks depending on location) - which is very important for a GR, especially if you're going to be the primary walker. My boyfriend's GR is only 5 months - 45 lbs (still going to grow around another 30lbs) and can already drag him slightly when he's misbehaving on the leash... my boyfriend is around 185 pounds and isn't short on muscle. You will also incur the cost of neutering/spaying your GR which can range from as little as 100$ to upward of 500$ depending on the age and gender of your dog. The major expense with the puppy is purchase price which can range from free to upwards of 2000$.

With a 4 year old you still have the annual vet checkups/booster shots, but this isn't nearly as much with the puppy. The only thing you have to worry about with getting an older dog, especially if you don't know much about its health/family history are all the genetic problems that run in the GR breed. Goldens have issues with hips/elbows/heart/eye/thyroid/cancer among other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. If any of these complications arise if your GR its going to be very expensive and time consuming.

Always plan for an emergency visit - have funds available. Anything can happen and the last thing you want is to not have the funds to be able to take care of your dog if the situation presents itself. The 2nd day my boyfriend's GR was home we had to take him to the emergency room because he had an allergic reaction to his flea medicine. That was an unexpected 300$.

I hope this helps, please keep asking questions - the better informed you are the better owner you'll be able to be for your new GR!

#8 · (Edited)
I spent at least $4000 (not counting her $1,400 purchase price) and Molly has been with me for 9 months. $880 went to classes and training though (which will be ongoing for us), and you may not choose to take so many. A lot of it went to frivolous things.. She has too many toys, but still $1000 a year does not sound realistic. Also, the amount would be much higher if I did not have pet insurance because two months ago Molly had to have a procedure and the payout from the insurance company was six times more than what I had already paid in monthly premiums at the time.. and she has not yet been spayed..

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#10 ·
I don't think anyone can tell you that. I do think a lot of these figures being thrown out are a little outrages:)

My Wyatt is 2 and a half and I can tell you other than his food, toys and vaccines,
he is pretty cheap. However I would suggest putting some money away for unforeseen problems the future might hold.

#15 ·
There is also the very real chance that your puppy will eat something they shouldn't. They are fast and I mean in the blink of an eye fast. Sometimes you don't need costly vet bills, but are you willing to be on poop patrol and search through it to make sure what went in one end came out the other and if it didn't surgery can cost about $2000-$3000. I've known a couple people this happened to. I've been lucky to only have had poop patrol. An older Golden, maybe around 3 years old might be your best bet. Price for adoption is about $350 to $450 so much less than a breeder, but you will still have food costs and medical bills for the life of the dog and in all honesty Goldens have more than their share of health issues

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#16 ·
I'd like to go with an adult golden retriever (like 3 or 4 years old; not too old but not a puppy) because I don't have to train it.

Where can I adopt one? Petfinder.com says there is no purebred (I'd really like a purebred golden retriever) in my area.

Thank You everyone for your help.

#20 ·
There may not be any in your area at the moment. Some websites like petfinder and the humane society you can set it up so they send you a email when they get a dog with the specifications you give them. You just have to keep a eye out and not expect that you can get one right now.

#19 ·
I found my golden on Petfinder. It was by chance. We were looking for a golden/ golden mix. I preferred a dog that looked like a golden though it did not have to be a "pure bread". Jake has been the most wonderful dog. He was apx 18 mos to 2 years old when we adopted him last February. The vet thinks he is either "pure" golden are at least 3/4.. I had been looking at several rescue sights but in the end by chance Jake came up through a nearby "pound". So he was incredibly CHEAP. ha ha. Though I would have payed more for him. We payed $40.00.
I don't have all the figures in my head but it has not been too bad, but we have been lucky. He has not had major health issues. I have had to make a few trips to the vet for his ears. Golden's have a tendency to have itchy ears (and other things too). I have had him professionally groomed a few times (apx $50- helps w/ the shedding). I send him to 1/2 day dog daycare a couple of times a week for exercise ($7.50/day-very reasonable!) .
We feed him quality dog food so it's about $50 for a bag. Hoping that pays off w/ better health for my dog ;)
Heartworm meds should be given monthly. (maybe $50 for 6 mos?)
You will probably need a flea/tic solution like Vectra, Frontline, etc.. (maybe $50+ for 3 mos supply?)
These are all expenses for any dog of course.. not just Golden's..

A Golden/Golden mix is a great dog!
It's good that you are asking questions. However, I hope that your parents are fully on board here. A 16 year old cannot (should not) take on the full care and expenses of a dog. If this is a "Well, it's your dog.. you take care of it" kinda deal. Don't do it. Wait until you are older (an adult). Like w/ anything (dogs, kids, homes, cars) you just don't know what you don't know.. and fixing it often takes money..sometimes more than we expect.

#21 ·
Even more questions

I watched a video on Animal Planet's YouTube channel about Goldens.

It says Goldens bite, they get hip dysplasia, and can get cancer.

1. How can I make sure my Golden won't bite visitors, people, or my own family members?

2. Should I be concerned with the hip dysplasia. How do I know if my dog will get it?

3. How will I know if my dog will get cancer?

Thank You,
Garrett F.

#22 ·
I watched a video on Animal Planet's YouTube channel about Goldens.

It says Goldens bite, they get hip dysplasia, and can get cancer.

1. How can I make sure my Golden won't bite visitors, people, or my own family members?

2. Should I be concerned with the hip dysplasia. How do I know if my dog will get it?

3. How will I know if my dog will get cancer?

Thank You,
Garrett F.​
1) All Goldens bite because they're bred to retrieve, and therefore, they explore their world with their mouth. Puppies are especially mouthy as they are still learning about the world. When we got our Bear (at 9 weeks), he would mouthe very very hard. A trainer advised us to let him mouthe on us and whenever he would bite and it hurt, to yelp and to end the play session. Stand up and walk away. The puppy will learn bite inhibition. Another school of thought, is to not allow the puppy to mouthe on your AT ALL. The moment the puppy puts his mouth or teeth on you, yelp and end the play session.

This will take time, and as he progresses through the stages of puppyhood, he may revert back and you have to start at step 1.

2) Hip and Elbow dysplasia are very serious things. While you cannot guarentee that your puppy will not get any form of dysplasia, the best way to prevent this is to a) buy from a reputable breeder who does hip and elbow clearances for both of the parents and for a few generations previously and b) do not overexercise the puppy and limit jumping - especially on hard surfaces. A puppy's joints won't be fully developed until 18 months of age.

3) As far as I know, there is nothing you can do to make sure your animal doesn't get cancer, nor anyway to predict it's occurance (besides checking family history). Cancer is a horrid disease and does not discriminate.

I hope that helps!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.