Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

I need advice

674 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  gold4me 
#1 ·
We just lost our eight year old Bayley to cancer two weeks ago and are still missing her desperately. We can understand the pain of having to let her go but our 4 year old male Golden (Sam) is having a terrible time. He is moping around, wont go outside unless we go with him, when he does go outside he sits and looks all over the yard for Bayley. I have been taking him on walks daily and we have been giving him a lot of extra attention and hugs. Has anyone gone through this with their dogs? Any suggestions would be so helpful. It breaks our hearts to see him like this.

#2 ·
I am sorry for your loss. Sam will get better with time. I hate to say this but it would have helped Sam if he could have seen Bayley after she passed. Animals understand death if they see it. Now you just need to spend alot of time with Sam and try to get him interested in something.

#4 ·
I understand. I had to deal with this with my Roxie. He should get better with time, but if not you may have to take him to the vet and have his Thyroid checked. I didn't know this....but extreme grief will make them sick just as it will us.

It was probably 6 months or longer before Roxie was back to herself, but it was a long drawn out battle. She lost a lot of weight and most of her hair. Keep him busy with daily activities. A busy mind doesn't have as much thinking time.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

#5 ·
I am so sorry for your loss and for Sam's loss and his grief also. It broke my heart reading your post. I recently loss my dog, Dawson, and the grief was overwhelming to me..I can't imagine if I had to watch my remaining dog grieve and feel his pain also. My heart goes out to you all and I hope that Sam's interest in the things he loves returns soon.

#6 ·
We went through the same thing when we lost Nugget. I wasn't ready but we had no choice we had to adopt another golden. She was much better after that. Molly was so bad she was having panic attacks, it just broke my heart.

I have to say he has helped in the loss. Another dog can not replace what you have loss but, it does help get you through another day

I have table set up with all of Nugget's stuff and each night Dyson would smell the urn give it one lick and sleep by the table, at the time when we lost her which was 4:30. Dyson did this for a 2 months.

I am sorry for your loss.

#7 ·
I'm so sorry you lost your boy and your other dog is having such a hard time. It might help if he could be around some other dogs. At some point you might consider another dog--a chihuahua would probably work just fine--but perhaps some canine socializing could help.

If he doesn't improve soon, you should talk to your vet. There are anti-depressants for dogs.

#9 ·
I am so sorry for what you are going through. We just had the exact same experience. We lost our Emmy in April and our male, Gambler, was so depressed. We dealt with his depression by giving him our total attention but it just didn't seem to help. I decided to start having play dates with friends. We meet everyday and walk with the dogs and then we take Gambler to doggie date care. He seems to be much happier now with our attention and having canine friends to play with. I still see him looking for Emmy and sometimes he seems sad. Maybe that is just me but time is helping too. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.