Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

How good is your dog on poison bird blinds?

4K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  sterregold 
#1 ·
A recent discussion on another forum got me thinking about retriever trainers in general. Here are the questions he asked.

-How do you train for them?
-Why use them?
-How frequently? in training, in tests/trials
-What are the judges looking for? in tests/trials
-How important a skill for a hunting dog?
-What constitutes a failure? in tests/trials

EvanG

#2 ·
It depends. Are you talking about a poison bird that's down before he gets sent on the blind, or about a diversion bird that's thrown while he's en route to the blind? How close to the line?
I think one needs to answer the question first of how important it would be in a hunting situation before you can answer whether it should be in a hunt test or field trial. Especially the hunt tests, which are supposed to simulate hunting (ha ha), if it's not something you'd see often in hunting, it doesn't belong in a hunt test.
I don't hunt enough to know the answer. When we've been pheasant hunting, it's one bird at a time (except for tower shoots/driven hunts), so there would be no poison birds.

#3 ·
It depends. Are you talking about a poison bird that's down before he gets sent on the blind, or about a diversion bird that's thrown while he's en route to the blind?
Either one is a poison bird blind, and both serve as diversion factors. The "en route poison bird" is the more difficult concept of the two.
How close to the line?
In hunting you'll never be able to predict it. In a test it is pre-determined by the judges. In addition, the concepts involved are also determined by the judges, such as:

• Blind behind the gun
  • Blind past the old fall
  • Blind through the arc of the fall
  • Blind through the fall (completely unfair as a poison bird blind)
Those are standard diversion mark concepts, and the first three are what are commonly taught and tested, both in field trials and in hunt tests. They are perfectly appropriate to use in either testing venue, as poison bird blinds are among the most important field skills for gundogs.
I think one needs to answer the question first of how important it would be in a hunting situation before you can answer whether it should be in a hunt test or field trial. Especially the hunt tests, which are supposed to simulate hunting (ha ha), if it's not something you'd see often in hunting, it doesn't belong in a hunt test.
I'm with you on the "reality" involved in testing! Only hunting is hunting, but I appreciate efforts to include aspects that are at least as realistic as possible in hunt tests. A test can never contain what all hunts do; sponteneity. But "yes", the poison bird blind is among the most realistic/hunting-like concepts. And understand this about any blind retrieve in a testing venue; it is not valid merely because one might need to run one while hunting. It is valid because it is a test of control and a dog's willingness to take direction from a handler. Adding the poison bird concept elevates the demand on training and handling, making it a more elite level of test.
I don't hunt enough to know the answer. When we've been pheasant hunting, it's one bird at a time (except for tower shoots/driven hunts), so there would be no poison birds.
You need to hunt with us out in western Kansas. Multiple birds on a rise is commonplace, and a running crippled pheasant can leave the county in a hurry. If one or more birds were clean kills, buy one is crippled and running, you'd better get that dog on him quickly or he's lost game!

EvanG

Reactions: hotel4dogs
#4 ·
Hmmm. I would say I put a poison bird into our training setups maybe 20% of the time. It depends where the dog's head is at. If the dog is having confidence issues on either marks or blinds I wouldn't worry about it but if the dog is doing well in all aspects, a poison bird sorta puts everything together. Nice way to put some memory into a single and a lot of suction into a blind.
I rarely "test" when training. If I think the dog may have trouble with the blind or mark involved with the poison bird setup I would run either as a single or stand-alone before doing the setup.
I have run across only two poison bird series in master tests, one each with Fisher & Slater.
The one with Fisher, was a short land single walkup, turn away and run a double blind, then pick up poison bird.
With Slater, they shot a poison bird angle back right into a pond, you had to then run a 100 shoreline blind tight (5 yards) past the backside of the gunner -- yikes!!!! That was a little like herding cats. WAY over Slater's head at that time but he pulled it out. :)

As always judges are looking for you to challenge the blind and handle through suction & factors.

#6 ·
Excellent Holly.

Those are the standard concepts in diversion marks. And you're doing the right thing by not start with poison bird. Get it really solid in standard order first. You might consider using the Four Phase Drill to do this. It's up to you, but it's very effective.

EvanG

#7 ·
With such frequent discussion of ambitions for MH titles and QAA achievements, and more, it's a little disappointing to see so little discussion on this topic. The ability to perform efficient, effective poison bird blinds is one of the most valuable skills a hunting retriever can possess. It's one a Master Hunter should be highly competent at, if indeed he is a Master-level dog.

And as a field trial dog you're not going very far unless you're really good at this! Period.

EvanG

#9 ·
I enjoy reading these discussions for future reference.
With Rose only at 6 months we are concentrating on obedience and working hold and marking. I got Evan's puppy retriever training video as I was really confused about the paint rollers.

#11 · (Edited)
we are busy hunting :)
And trying to clean up some *issues*, and coming up on the busy agility trial season (I want to get his MXP and MJP titles if possible) so we've put most of our training on hold until Spring.

#13 ·
One of the last times I trained with my trainer we worked in this. The group was MH/FT dogs and handlers to beginners. It was fun to see the finished concept worked on then how to train on it too.

My dog is preparing for SH we are running land blinds "ok" need more work with water. We are city folk who train when and where we can our trainer is a two hour drive away.

What we did with my dog that day, was run the blinds first. They were planted in a familiar spot for all the dogs who run blinds. Then (again for my dog) threw a mark left to right mid field, I was told to send her on the left blind. So it wasn't really "poison" other than the fact she saw the mark, but was sent on the blind. I thought 'no way she will do this'. She nailed it. The upper level dogs were sent to run past the "poison" bird, but my dog was not ready for that. Trainer cautioned over training this concept. He also made sure for us newer folk we set it up right for our level of dog. I hesitate to work too much complicated stuff for fear an issue will arise "I" can't work out of. I don't have anyone near me with more experience than myself.

We worked diversion marks with both our dogs this past summer. Meaning a second mark thrown while dog is returning with a mark. Our lab never thought twice about the diversion. My golden did the switch. One correction and she got it. Now she avoids the new bird with a wide berth. She takes correction easily and literally. She is low use on the collar.

Can't wait until after the first of the year to get back out to the trainers. We bundle up and train all winter unless stupid cold. Right now he is training the handler. I need all the help I can get. My dog is ready, I am not.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#14 ·
One of the last times I trained with my trainer we worked in this. The group was MH/FT dogs and handlers to beginners. It was fun to see the finished concept worked on then how to train on it too.
This is one of the initial questions; How did you “work on it”?
My dog is preparing for SH we are running land blinds "ok". need more work with water. We are city folk who train when and where we can our trainer is a two hour drive away.
Ah, the value of having a solid program in your hands!
What we did with my dog that day, was run the blinds first.
Cold blinds? Were there any special factors?
They were planted in a familiar spot for all the dogs who run blinds.
So, they were repeat blinds of some sort?
Then (again for my dog) threw a mark left to right mid field, I was told to send her on the left blind.
Was the mark thrown toward the line to the blind, or away from it? Just curious.
So it wasn't really "poison" other than the fact she saw the mark, but was sent on the blind.
That sounds very much like a poison bird blind; just not a cold blind. Is that right?
I thought 'no way she will do this'. She nailed it. The upper level dogs were sent to run past the "poison" bird, but my dog was not ready for that. Trainer cautioned over training this concept. He also made sure for us newer folk we set it up right for our level of dog. I hesitate to work too much complicated stuff for fear an issue will arise "I" can't work out of. I don't have anyone near me with more experience than myself.
Again, the advantage of having a solid program to help you understand the progression, and what to expect.
We worked diversion marks with both our dogs this past summer. Meaning a second mark thrown while dog is returning with a mark.
This may become a very valuable discussion! That type of diversion mark is called a “Bulldog”, or “Bird-in-the-face”. But there are several other standard diversion mark concepts.
Our lab never thought twice about the diversion. My golden did the switch. One correction and she got it. Now she avoids the new bird with a wide berth. She takes correction easily and literally. She is low use on the collar.
Yes, that sort of correction needs to be done judiciously because they can begin to simply avoid the Bulldog, and then not retrieve them when sent.
Can't wait until after the first of the year to get back out to the trainers. We bundle up and train all winter unless stupid cold. Right now he is training the handler. I need all the help I can get. My dog is ready, I am not
By recognizing that I think it shows you have a chance to become a fine dog person. Too often newer trainers can’t wait to dive in…over the dog’s head!

EvanG

#15 ·
The "bulldog" or "bird-in-the-face" diversion must be a very common diversion in HRC, as we do a lot of those in training (my trainer runs HRC).

#16 ·
Yes, that particular concept mark is present in every HRC test. So much so that you rarely see any results obtained from it, especially in Finished.

EvanG

#19 ·
The one that still blows Tito's mind, although in all fairness he's only seen it a couple of times, is an in-your-face bird thrown while he's heading OUT toward a blind, rather than coming back IN with the bird.

#20 ·
That is very tough on most dogs. What that actually is is an en route poison bird blind. As much suction as there would normally be on a standard poison bird blind, it's magnified exponentially when the dog is already running toward an unknown destination and a bird is launched in plain view. That takes real control. And it takes more control the way I train on them, which requires the handler not to blow a sit whistle until the bird's flight is complete & the bird hits the ground. Imagine how committed that dog is at that point! In the final stages of training, the PB is a shot flyer duck thrown converging with the line to the blind.

EvanG

#21 ·
-How do you train for them?
Pretty much the way that you have explained in your materials. Poison birds must be trained in a logical fashion, otherwise the dog will be confused as to what you are asking it to do. It's a step by step process. Once the dog indicates an understanding of the concept, it's important to let it get the mark after it has picked the blind ... unless he showed too much interest in the mark while running the blind.

-Why use them?
From a judging point of view, it's a test of control ... which is what a blind is about. From a participant's point of view, you must have this degree of control to win field trials. Although there are some judges that abhor poison bird blinds, they are in the minority. (Frankly, I believe that the reason some of the judges hate poison birds is because they have or have had a dog that couldn't be pulled off of one.)

-How frequently? in training, in tests/trials
In training: With my first truly competitive dog, for a time we trained on PB blinds about once a week, sometimes twice. During that time, our dogs were exceedingly proficient in running these blinds ... they understood that if they ignored the mark while running the blind, they would eventually get the mark. The dogs understood it so well that they would run an under-the-arc blind without a whistle ... that's a thing of beauty. When they get too cocky, you can run double blinds, then pick up the mark ... that is a real killer at first, especially if the second blind is in front of the gunner and tight to the mark. We only do that with advanced dogs.
In trials: In Opens and Ams, PB blinds show up about every other weekend in my FT circuit.

-What are the judges looking for? in tests/trials
Control. And, if they have the dogs eventually pick up the PB, it tests for memory, as well as courage to go into an area which was earlier off limits.

-How important a skill for a hunting dog?
Very ... they have to get the cripple that hit the water 120 yards away before picking up the dead bird lying in the decoys at 30 yards away.

-What constitutes a failure? in tests/trials
Of course, picking up the PB is a failure. Beyond that, it's up to the judges; however, a demonstration of lack of control (i.e., too many whistles/cast refusals to pull them off the bird) will send you home. Also, sending the dog on a line so far away from the PB that it is not inviting to the dog will be frowned upon (some would call this a failure to "challenge the blind," but I dislike cliches so pretend that I didn't say it).

#22 ·
What concept (PB Blinds) does your dog need most frequent maintenance on?

EvanG

#23 ·
What concept (PB Blinds) does your dog need most frequent maintenance on?

EvanG
Does the answer to this question depend on the dog?
Mine hasn't done any true poison blinds yet, but in class we did drills running past white bumpers to orange bumpers.

She seems to need maintenance on go where I tell you, keep going, and there is something there at the end. I guess if I had to nutshell it into one concept it would be do what I tell you, not what you think/want.

#27 ·
We saw a lot of PB blinds in Master in Ontario last year, many in the context of a delayed triple mark--one weekend we had PB blinds in that context in the water test of both tests! I followed the system of teaching it that Evan describes, and in maintenance I have to be very careful not to overdo them. My girl loves to run blinds, so once I give her the cue to leave it to pull her off the mark, getting her to the blind is not an issue. I have more of an issue keeping the marking in balance with her, so when we do use a PB in training getting the marks is actually the point of the setup for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.