Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Goldens Born on October 2012

57K views 614 replies 38 participants last post by  Ernie D 
#1 ·
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Golden retriever

Born first week of October. Please excuse his eyes, I was trying to capture a good shot while he was in the middle of playing with his chew toy.

Hi! We are new to this forum. We just got this adorable pup today and look forward to many happy years together :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#292 ·
I love seeing all your faces!! And your puppy's faces, too. :) pretty bunch of ladies we have with these October babies...
This is a picture someone took a while back. I'll have to get someone to take a new one, maybe this weekend. Thelma Lou is much bigger now-I'm also bigger after the holidays, but I didn't QUITE double my weight like she did....

Attachments

#293 ·
Hahaha that comment made me laugh out loud. :D

Its so great seeing you all!!

I wish I had a scale so I could compare her weight with your pups. But I'm thinking at 13 weeks she's around 20-25 lbs. I have no idea if thats average or not. She looks like she will be a big girl but you never know when they will have their growth spurts and then stop growing. I hoping for my sake as "Poop Scooper":yuck: that she isnt enormous....if you catch my drift :crossfing

#294 ·
oh wow I agree you guys are all so pretty!!! Libby is so big compared to all our pups. I weighed Peaches last night (rather my husband did so I didn't have to get on the scale at night, muhahaha) and she has gained even MORE! She was an even 18 pounds! I wonder if this is a growth period for them and that is why Libby is so big, because she is two weeks older? At this rate none of us are going to be able to carry her much longer, ha ha!
And yes, Peaches' poos are already getting bigger and stinkier! Just said that this morning after I picked one up!

#295 ·
From what I can tell with other goldens on the forums, puppies grow the most in the early months. Here's a growth chart I found from a female golden on this site. I think her growth looks pretty average so its what I am comparing Libby too.

2 months: 15 lbs
3 months: 29 lbs
4 months: 39 lbs
5 months: 45 lbs
6 months: 50 lbs
7 months: 55 lbs
8 months: 57 lbs
Full grown 65-70 lbs.

#296 ·
oh that is great! Peaches is 11.5 weeks and 18 pounds. So she is smaller when compared to the three months but that could be anywhere in three months range, I guess.
I was worried about Katniss though because everyone posted much smaller rates for their pooches in the other forum. She was weighed at 57.7 at the vet on the 28th. She had just turned nine months on the 20th. She is solid muscle and the vet said she looked perfect, but she was heavier in comparison to even some of the males on here. That chart you posted she is just perfect too. The breeder said she should be around the same size as her mamma who is around 62 pounds.

#297 ·
I took two pictures this morning which I think show Thelma Lou's size on a scale. I can't get them to post together so I'll have to do them separately. The first is by the back door. You can tell how tall she is. :)

Darn, it's sideways....sorry...

Attachments

#300 ·
I weighed Libby today and she is 25 lbs! Which I think is pretty normal. I think Peaches is perfect size! She might turn out to be on the smaller side. Which is nice :)

And Thelma Lou is just DARLING!!! I love her little petite body. I feel like Libby still has a puppy pot belly. LOL

When are you guys thinking about increasing their food? Libby gets 2 cups a day plus some treats for training. I'm wondering when I should start giving her more food.

#301 ·
That is about how much food Peaches gets. I am not going to increase it because I just did about two weeks ago and she went from 14.6 to 18 in a week ha ha! I'm thinking that she is looking a bit chubby with her pot belly now too! The breeder had told me she was a bit thin the last time we saw her so we increased it per her instructions. I'm thinking Peaches is on her way to 25 at 13 weeks too! We'll see. I'm glad Libby is first so that I can compare with Peaches when she gets that old.

#304 ·
Hi, Autumn! Wow, Dug is a doll! That name is hilarious because my Peaches won't stop digging lately. I should have named her Dig! Good to meet you. We have a great October forum, I love these ladies. I hope that you enjoy it too!!
I see your navy? Me and Barney's girl are an army family! Super cool!

#310 ·
Thanks, Peaches & Barnesygirl! :) My boyfriend is active duty Navy, we live near Naval Station Norfolk (VA). We decided on Dug's name a year before we got him, we watched the movie 'Up' and snagged the name from there, and it fits him perfectly, because his attention span is similar to that of a goldfish. :p:

#306 ·
Welcome Autumn and Heather! What adorable pups you both have! And I love all of their names. :) I'm just enjoying this little October group so much!
Anyone else think their precious puppies may be a tad smarter than the humans raising them? I am often convinced Thelma Lou is just tolerating my incompetence.
We have had a barking thing going on lately, which I don't really like and am not sure how to handle it. It's mostly when she's in her pen (puppy jail) in the kitchen and we are making food. She is begging to get out or get something we are making. I am going to move her pen into another room to see if that curbs it.
And we still haven't decided what to do about our trip next week. Our kitty went missing this weekend so we have been spending all our time looking for him. :(

#307 ·
Thought I would check in and let you know the kitty has been found. :) The boys made fliers and put them on all the doors in the neighborhood. One of our neighbors found him howling at her cellar door and called us right away. SUCH a relief. :)

#309 ·
awww all the new puppies are so cute!!
I am so glad that your kitty has been found. Our cat was gone in October for ten days and it was just killing us. We love him so much! He came back acting like nothing had ever happened!
I don't know what to say about TL barking. Peaches only barks and growls at Katniss when they are wrestling or if she needs help with something. For example if I'm on my bed and we are laying there and I get up then Katniss gets up. I might leave the room and of course Kat follows. Then I hear Peaches on the end and she'll bark once or twice as if to say, hey! You forgot about me! LOL. It is really cute!

#311 ·
Yes, Dug and Gretzky are siblings! :D I'm excited to see that you're on here! How is your new addition doing? Gretzky looks like she has become darker already, I think Dug has too, but it's hard to tell because I see him every day. How much does Gretzky weigh now? We have a vet app today, I think Dug is about 15lbs now. :)

#312 ·
How fun, Autumn2011!! These forums are great.

Gretzky is still pretty light; the 2nd pic is off color. I'm not a great photographer! :-/

Last night he got his 2nd round of distemper vaccine and he weighs 16 pounds. Big boy! He (unexpectedly) met a giant black lab in the lobby and did so well.

He has a cyst on his eye that we think will need to be removed sooner than expected. He does not overtly seem bothered by it but there is some redness. We see the opthamologist on Saturday and will have more info then. I've learned so much about canine eye anatomy! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#313 ·
Hi again! Oops, I thought Gretzky was a girl, my bad. Sorry to hear about Gretzky's eye issue, I hope it's an easy fix and something that when it's gone, it's gone for good. We've had a few puzzling issues with Dug:

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...5785-hypersalivating-increased-urination.html

We're about to head out to the vet for his distemper shot, and a urine test to determine if he has a u.t.i. Last Saturday Dug weighed 14.9, but he hadn't been eating that great because he was under the weather. Did you keep Gretzky on the Fromm food or change, and if you changed, what did you switch to?

Does Gretzky fall asleep with toys in his mouth? Dug is quite quirky, we joking call him "Trash Puppy" because he insists in sleeping behind the trash can, wedged in between the kitchen cart, the trash can and the wall, on the cold, hard tile floor.......he has many fluffy blankets, a bed and a cozy crate, he does use them sometimes, but it seems his favorite spot is by the trash.

So glad you found me! :)

#314 ·
Aww, the new pups are so cute! And I love the name Dug - Up is one of my favorite movies! Charlie is doing better all the time. It blows my mind to think he's only been with us 3.5 weeks. He's already sleeping through the night (sometimes 8-9 hours) and its been at least 3 or 4 days since I cleaned up a potty mess in the house!

We start puppy kindergarten and I'm really curious to see how Charlie does. I've found that when he's acting up, he instantly turns into an obedient little angel if given a command. I can't wait to teach him more! Here's a pic of Charlie practicing his sit last night:

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#315 ·
@LoveisGolden, Charlie has such a pretty sit! Good boy!! I bet he'll have fun at class.

Gretzky also loves to sleep "hidden" behind things. He does sleep just fine in his crate at night though.

We've continued feeding the Fromm Gold puppy food; he seems to do well on it. We use Kongs and feed every 2-3 hours depending on his play / nap schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

#316 ·
Amanda is it today? Tonight Peaches starts her puppy kindergarten! I'm so excited but nervous. Peaches is a naughty girl. Her face shows that she is always spinning something naughty to do. I hope she is good in class. Her brother is going to be in there too, and I don't want him to show her up! LOL
Charlie's face is so adorable!!!

#317 ·
Oh, I wish we were starting tonight! Thelma Lou needs some competent instruction! We can't start her for a little while, though, because of all the Parvo in this area. But I found someone I am really excited about-they train military working dogs and rescue dogs. We don't really plan on doing that with Thelma Lou, but I like their methods and I really like the owner. She makes me feel comfortable. It's more "real world" training, too, which I like. And which is good for her, since little Miss Two-Teeth is not showable.
I saw on another thread, that someone measured their dog's height at the withers. I measured Thelma Lou at her withers (yes, I looked up what that meant) and she is 13.5 inches. I checked a growth chart and seemed on the shorter side of average. She was the smallest puppy in the litter, so I guess that's normal. What gets me, though, is that she looks SO TALL. I think it's because she's all legs? And her fur is a bit shorter. Her litter mates all were fluffier than her. I'd be so curious to see what they look like now. I should call the breeder and see if there is anyone local with one of the puppies

Have lots of fun at class tonight, Shelby! And be sure to check back in and tell us all about it. And give me hope there is an obedient little puppy inside this naughty thing somewhere.... ;)

#318 ·
ok what is the withers? I looked it up kind of and I got so confused I said ugh. I think it was from the feet to the top of the shoulder blades???

And our friend trained their dog military style though he is a pet and he is the sweetest! Remember Peaches is no show dog either with her bent tail tip. I love the Under"dog"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.