Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

It ain't rocket science!!

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  GoldensGirl 
#1 ·
With just a little research I found a decent breeder! I tried to make it too hard, but I did find a breeder that does what I want and need...check it out!

• Vet checked three times before adoption.
  • Both parents are OFA cleared for hips.
  • All shots and worming.
  • Written one year health guarantee.
  • Raised indoors from birth to adoption.
  • Starter kit with food, toys, etc...
  • Not adopted until after 8 weeks.
I just felt like these were the basic necessities for what my particular needs are as a CD owner. The breeder was well spoken, and welcomed any and all of my questions. Her photos and description of the parents were spot on for what I am looking for in a golden,and she had no arrogance in her demeanor regarding her dogs. I think I may have found my breeder. Is there anything else that anyone could recommend?

#2 ·
What about clearances for elbows, eyes and hearts? These are just as important, and perhaps more important, than clearances for hips. Elbow dysplasia can be more debilitating than hip dysplasia, as can heart issues.

What does the health guarantee say, exactly? Does it require the return of the original puppy? Refund your money towards any necessary surgery?

How are the puppies socialized? Raised indoors does not necessarily mean raised in the house and socialized to household activities and noises. It could mean raised in a barn or outbuilding.

Don't think you have to settle because "all" you want is a companion-you need a healthy puppy with the best possible start in life to become a loving companion. A dog who requires expensive surgery for dysplasia, or who has a shortened life because of heart issues, or who develops serious eye issues is probably not what you have in mind for a family pet.

#4 ·
Raised inside from birth? Does that mean the pups will not have felt grass, dirt, gravel, cement etc until they go home? Not climbed steps or seen bushes/trees/flowers?

#5 ·
well. dayum. it seems as though I have found contradicting views on what I should be looking for. raised inside and questioned what inside means...then the poor dog has never felt grass or dirt...then the clearances should go back through ancestry dot com...then the written guarantee (money back or exchange of puppy) isn't to the standards of a $10k dog owner how bout being a little arrogant ladies and gentlemen. None of you bothered to access your reading comprehension skills on the original post...I said very plainly that the animal met my needs and had what I was looking for. Do you think that in all of my fifty years of age, and 45 years of dog ownership I had no clue of what my needs were? My last golden was an inbred and from ********, yet I had people "in the know" want him for stud when they saw him until they found out he did not have a piece of paper telling me, him, and the rest of the world that he wasn't the smartest, most intelligent dog in the county.
I asked for additional information/recommendations in my OP...not ridicule or second guessing of the information I found. Having owned goldens for nearly 30 years, but not having selected a puppy in 20, I began to wonder what all the hubb-ubb was all about, but now I am beginning to see. Arrogance of the educated without knowledge once again rises to the top.

#8 ·
Arrogance? If the animal meets your needs and you feel no one should comment suggesting there is more to finding a healthy animal than your 7 requirements, why bother posting asking people to check it out, and when they do and voice their opinions call it arrogance?

If you can't see helpful suggestions as anything more than what they are, most definitely not ridicule, I'm not sure what you are looking for. Are you wanting someone to say great job? Is that it? If it is, keep looking for that approval. In the mean time other aspects of finding puppies with a back ground (documented pedigree, and clearances) will continue to be posted for those who are open to learning.

I consider myself 'in the know', and I wouldn't have touched your dog for breeding either, even if it was the absolute most perfect Golden ever to be born. With no documented background for all I know the sire and dam died at 3 of cancer and all 4 grandparents were epileptic until they died at 5.

You may want to reread your post, and see what arrogance really is.

Good luck with your puppy!!

Rob

#6 ·
Actually, I think they are valid questions - perhaps not to you in your expereince, but to the younger people that may come across this thread in the future.

You need to be happy in your decision, and it is not rocket science but I think everyone who commented is a member in good standing of the GRCA and we are charged with maintaining their standards.

Insulting us for legitimate questions is perhaps premature. You did ask if there were further things you should look for.

#7 ·
To quote you, well, dayum!

I didn't see any arrogance or rudeness in those replies, nor do I think any was implied. The ideas they bring up are sound - it's a good idea to check for all clearances, and to watch the wording of the contract carefully to ensure you're getting the most help from a breeder you can. A health guarantee is no good if it doesn't cover, say, finding out the dog has a heart or eye problem.

The reason you check ancestry is the same reason your doctor asks you if you have any family history of diseases - you'd want to know if there was a higher risk of your dog developing lymphoma or hip dysplasia or any of the other diseases that strike these beautiful dogs more commonly so you can plan accordingly.

Asking whether the dog is raised solely indoors is important because you don't want a puppy who is scared of the unknown when the unknown is everything outside the front door.

You sound really sure of your decision, which is great, I'm glad you found a breeder you like. That's the most important thing to me, besides all this health mumbo-jumbo. Congratulations!

But to discount the advice you've been given as "arrogance of the educated without knowledge" is a little rude, especially when you came on and asked for advice.

#23 ·
I strongly second this.

Two GRF rules are especially relevant:
2. GoldenRetrieverForum.com Members shall refrain from the use of vulgar language and obscenities. – We recognize no individual word used, in and of itself, can constitute a moral evil alone but rather it’s when words are assembled into sentences that form ideas that it has the potential to become truly offensive and vulgar. However certain individual words are nevertheless considered highly offensive to the majority of the English language speakers and in recognition of this fact, a small list of those words are maintained and that can be only accessed by the moderators, and will be used to identify and assist in keeping those highly offensive words from appearing on the forum. Keep in mind that many words which are usually quite innocent, can also be used in a vulgar fashion. Thus many individual words not contained on the list per se will have to be assessed as to their offensive nature by actual usage.

Deliberate misspelling fools nobody about the intent.

13. GoldenRetrieverForum.com Members will treat other members with respect. The Golden Retriever Forum relies on its members to self-monitor in terms of rudeness that is just gratuitous. It is one thing to focus passionately on a topic; it is another thing to call someone an offensive name or to be condescending. We hold golden temperaments on high, so let's see our members be friendly to one another as well, even when disagreements occur. You may respectfully attack a member’s point of view but do not attack the member personally, or be excessively rude in your responses. If a thread starts getting heated, take it to a mod, NOT PUBLIC. Those who do not follow this can be warned, suspended or banned.

Anyone who needs a refresher on the rules can find them here: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...6-grf-board-rules-registration-agreement.html.

#10 ·
All valid questions indeed. However, the OP's tone may have seemed offensive. Previously I have seen many replies regarding this same topic that are very condescending in nature. Especially when some people "settle" on a breeder who doesn't meet the standards of the majority. Then the bandwagon gets flooded with negative posts and people don't get answers.
Personally, I have a Chocolate Lab and it's only guaranteed to an extent. She's fully registered and perhaps one of the best dock diving competitors in the state, obeys complex commands, and is fantastic with people/children. And has a very clean bill of health. For only $200.00

What I'm saying, is that I believe the breeding business has pulled the wool over many eyes
in creating this complex that your dog has to be genetically "appropriate" in order to be acceptable. Unfortunately, it is necessary to do this due to lack of responsibilities in previous breeding strains.
All in all, there's been a commonality amongst breeding forums that mirrors elitism that unwelcomes concerned folks as the OP of this thread.
Although, rude. His point is valid. Prolly should've been titled something else though.

#14 ·
I'll bite. What was his point in his original post?

As for the comments on previous breeding strains etc. I do not believe that is it at all. As science advances so does our health screening. Elbows were not really thought of 20-30 years ago, advancements are made thus allowing us to see trends, screening procedures start. There is no 'strain' to blame, in my opinion.

Clearances are tools, they are to help stack the odds in favour of the conditions being tested for not presenting in progeny. In this breed we have what are called the core four, Hips, Elbows, Heart and Eyes. We then have non-core clearances, prcd-PRA, PRA1, PRA2, Ict., DM, etc. I am of the mind set of, if we do not test we do not know what we are working with. That is what works for my breeding program, others it doesn't, that is a-ok. What clearances are not, are a means to jack up puppy prices, nor are they elitist.

Rob

#11 ·
ok...so I do apologize if I offended anyone, but Canis understands my point. The world of breeders has become more like a competition. It seems as though everyone I talk to or read about has the right answers; regardless of what someone else says. It has become quite frustrating...the term "bandwagon" seems to be fitting, yet no one knows who is driving the "bandwagon" or where it is going, and there seems to be a quite a bit of arrogance from those on the wagon.

#15 ·
McDog, you just joined this forum and are 6 posts in. You didn't get very far before name calling and offending people. There is no bandwagon. There is, however, a great wealth of knowledge on this forum about necessary clearances and hereditary issues in the breed. Rather than passing judgment on people and assuming things, I suggest you give the forum members a chance to help you and you will benefit from their knowledge.

#16 ·
With just a little research I found a decent breeder! I tried to make it too hard, but I did find a breeder that does what I want and need...check it out!

• All shots and worming.
I just felt like these were the basic necessities for what my particular needs are as a CD owner.
Is a need of yours, as a CD owner, a walk around the block? Because with only hip clearances, that might be an issue should your puppy develop ED, like my Golden. Chance can't walk very far at all without stopping several times. And if we do go a little too far, (which, for a healthy dog, would be just warming up), he pays for it dearly the next day. Are you ready for blood work every 3 months to make sure your dog's liver is functioning properly? I have to have this done because the medication he takes for his dysplasia can, unfortunately, really screw his liver up.

Every time a thread comes up about what the "basic necessities" needed for a breeder to be responsible are, we just want to put the information out there for those that are still searching and hopefully they're willing to accept it. I always bring up elbow clearances because I want to try and spare those people the heartache that I live with every day. If input like this seems arrogant, no one here meant that at all. Passionate and caring, yeah...but not arrogant.

#17 ·
I made the mistake of getting a BYB dog. It's a risk that I took, because I didn't know. Now that I know more about clearances, what is behind some of the Golden pedigrees, and health issues in those lines; I have made a relationship with a breeder in my area that is above and beyond what I expected.

You came on here saying what you found, but, we thought you could do better for the health of your puppy. Since I took that risk of getting a back-yard bred dog, I have to live with it daily, knowing at any moment cancer could come at an early age, etc.

We are only trying to help you out here, and not go through the heartbreak that some of our forum members have gone through; like losing a puppy at 3 because of cancer. Finding a good breeder can be rocket science, as some are more about winning in the ring, and others are striving for health and longevity.

I would rather have clearances that go generations back, than a puppy who drops dead at 3 years of age, due to an early onset of cancer.

#18 ·
At 9:30 this morning you asked for opinions on a breeder to which many responded that you keep looking. Not two hours later you have found the *perfect* breeder and that it "ain't rocket science!" It is hard not to take some offense as you insinuate that we are all idiots, we, people who went out of our way to give our honest opinion in an effort to help a total stranger find a healthy, sound family dog, in the best interest of the breed. We need to continue to support breeders that have this breeds best interest at heart.

I agree with many of the posters here. Please consider investigating further. Insist on all 4 clearances. Don't short change your future pet of a long, healthy future it deserves.

#19 ·

• All shots and worming.
I just felt like these were the basic necessities for what my particular needs are as a CD owner. The breeder was well spoken, and welcomed any and all of my questions. Her photos and description of the parents were spot on for what I am looking for in a golden,and she had no arrogance in her demeanor regarding her dogs. I think I may have found my breeder. Is there anything else that anyone could recommend?

If you didn't want suggestions than you should had deleted your last sentence. If you are happy with the breeder you found then go for it!

On a side note: cancer is not discriminatory. It affects all dogs from all breeders. Nothing is guaranteed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.